Mr.

Pruett, commented, The competitive environment for local affiliate

television is changing rapidly. Chesapeake TV represents a tremendous

opportunity to build scale and efficiency and to strengthen competitive

positioning in small markets by applying Sinclair s resources,

discipline and management systems, which in my observation are world

class. Our vision is big, and with the backing of Sinclair, we have

what it takes to execute it.

In what world is Sinclair's management and resources considered to be "world class"?

I wish the Feds would make them divest. There has to be some sort of antitrust law that they're violating.

On a pro forma basis assuming consummation of the Barrington and COX transactions, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., one of the largest and one of the most diversified television broadcasting companies, will own and operate, program or provide sales services to 112 television stations in 61 markets. Sinclair's television group will reach approximately 29.8% of U.S. television households and is affiliated with all major networks.

http://www.sbgi.net/site_mgr/temp/_7xfvjv6f.shtml

Unbelievable. definitely a quantity over quality operation.

't is official.....Barrington is selling ALL of their stations to Sinclair....

http://sbgi.net/site_mgr/temp/_7xfvjv6f.shtml

Oh man... It's the "Sinclair-pocalypse". Chances are when a station group is bought by Sinclair, they'll stop at nothing to make sure the newly acquired stations recieves the standardized graphics and music packages.

SMMFH!!! :mad:

But the real shocking thing about all of this is, this new firm Howard Stirk Holdings will be headed by conservative talk show host Armstrong Williams. The real talk that concerned current FCC commissioners, they stated that they weren't enough minority (Black, Hispanic, Female) owners that own TV stations, and they wanted to reform or end the current JSA/SSA agreements as a result of that. I guess they wanted to do this so they would think this would shut the FCC folks up, which I think this isn't good enough. Howard Stirk Holdings will own stations in Myrtle Beach & in Flint (I wonder if its WBSF or WSMH). Anybody rememeber Cunningrab's predecessor Glencairn?

But I wouldn't be shocked that Deerfield come in and separately acquire the Syracuse Fox station and maybe Nexstar's sister Mission comes in and take WYZZ and become a close sister to WMBD. The cap is still 39%. But in court of public opinion, Sinclair has too many on their plate. And like I said, they don't stop, it's gonna be worst than Young & Equity debacles.

Are Nexstar/Sinclair just continue to buy all these stations left and right because FCC is going to follow through with those incentive auctions so the FCC can resale its TV spectrum to those wireless companies for broadband internet use? The station Sinclair is selling in Providence (OTA Broadcasting, LLC) is ready and willing to sell all its stations to the FCC so the FCC can resale to these wireless companies. And maybe Sinclair & Nexstar don't want to give up its spectrum. Something to really think about.

Also like I said back in December, infrastructure & capital needs to be the top priority. WACH is the only Barrington station in HD, and the other nine are enhanced definition or widescreen.

The only thing I can think Sinclair is doing it trying to shoot the moon, as in Hearts.

Hit the moon and then start to systematically decompile each station like Bain Capital does... Look out people, if they can't sell off all of their equipment and studios in a 'fire sale' and they default, look out for a enormous debacle (proportional to the size of their CFO's ego).

SMMFH!!! :mad:

But the real shocking thing about all of this is, this new firm Howard Stirk Holdings will be headed by conservative talk show host Armstrong Williams. The real talk that concerned current FCC commissioners, they stated that they weren't enough minority (Black, Hispanic, Female) owners that own TV stations, and they wanted to reform or end the current JSA/SSA agreements as a result of that. I guess they wanted to do this so they would think this would shut the FCC folks up, which I think this isn't good enough. Howard Stirk Holdings will own stations in Myrtle Beach & in Flint (I wonder if its WBSF or WSMH). Anybody rememeber Cunningrab's predecessor Glencairn?

But I wouldn't be shocked that Deerfield come in and separately acquire the Syracuse Fox station and maybe Nexstar's sister Mission comes in and take WYZZ and become a close sister to WMBD. The cap is still 39%. But in court of public opinion, Sinclair has too many on their plate. And like I said, they don't stop, it's gonna be worst than Young & Equity debacles.

Funny thing I was talking about Sinclair's greediness when it comes to buying stations to my mother last night, her stock response: "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" (Sinclair clearly being the former). As far as WSYT goes, I think they might spin it off to another company, sending WSYT to Deerfield would have Sinclair managing five network affiliates in one market (but you can't predict what Sinclair would do next); Barrington owns WSTM (NBC) and WSTQ-LP (The CW), while managing WTVH (CBS), Sinclair owns WSYT (Fox) and manages WNYS (MyNetworkTV). Sinclair managing five network affiliates would be serious overkill.

As for Howard Stirk Holdings, you're right, the fact that Armstrong Williams owning that company isn't going to do any good in quelling the FCC's quest to get rid of JSAs/SSAs (even if some are trying to convince the FCC not to, or at least delay ruling on banning them), there are still too few female or minority-owned television station groups out there, this isn't going to make any real difference in the FCC's decisionmaking.

Mike Malone from the B&C wrote on his Station to Station blog, and stated that since their buying spree started in Fall 2011, Sinclair has shelled out more $1.5 Billion, from the Four Points Media, Freedom, Newport, Cox & Barrington acquisitions, not to mention KBTV from Nexstar and non-license assets of the GOCOM Illinois stations. And he has hinted that their buying spree may not end either.......

Among the stations Sinclair is buying are NBC3 (WSTM-TV) and CW6 (WSTQ-LP) in Syracuse. In addition, one of the six stations whose operations it has agreed to assume is CBS5 (WTVH-TV) in Syracuse Because FCC ownership limits would not permit Sinclair to own WSTM-TV and WSYT together

Among the stations Sinclair is buying are NBC3 (WSTM-TV) and CW6 (WSTQ-LP) in Syracuse. In addition, one of the six stations whose operations it has agreed to assume is CBS5 (WTVH-TV) in Syracuse Because FCC ownership limits would not permit Sinclair to own WSTM-TV and WSYT together

Oh. So the entire Syracuse market will be controlled by Sinclair and Nexstar... I'm going to hurl.

Little more info on this Howard Stirk firm. From this Florence Morning News, Armstrong Williams is following David Smith's lead in naming his company. It states that "Howard" is named after his mother's maiden name and "Stirk" is his father's middle name. David Smith father's middle name is obviously Sinclair and his mother's maiden name is Cunningham. Also Williams will be acquiring WWMB from SagamoreHill Broadcasting, so SagamoreHill will be divesting this station to Armstrong.

TVNewsCheck talked to Williams about his plans on acquiring WWMB & he'll be acquiring NBC station, WEYI 25 in Flint. WSMH will still be own by Sinclair proper. He said he wanted to wait until the FCC greenlights the deals to state his plans on what he will do for these stations; and he hopes to expand his station portfolio in the near future.

This will be interesting to see how this all plays out over time. Based on the M&A call Sinclair conducted....

(http://seekingalpha.com/article/1239791-sinclair-broadcast-group-s-ceo-discusses-the-acquisitions-of-the-barrington-and-cox-stations-transcript)

Chesapeake will be conducted as a continuation of Barrington utilizing their current headquarters and Barrington staff members.

How much they will identify themselves with Sinclair remains to be seen as many stations under Barrington are in desperate need of upgraded equipment. If the FCC acts on breaking up JSA & SSA agreements, this may be a simple way for Sinclair to cut the cord and "dump" extra stations to an entity....almost like CBS was forced to do with Viacom back in the 1970s when it was illegal for a network to own a syndication company.

Armstrong Williams' new company could be even less connected...based on the above article. This is more like a time-brokerage agreement where there is very little room for Sinclair to operate.

This will be interesting to see how this all plays out over time. Based on the M&A call Sinclair conducted....

Chesapeake will be conducted as a continuation of Barrington utilizing their current headquarters and Barrington staff members.

How much they will identify themselves with Sinclair remains to be seen as many stations under Barrington are in desperate need of upgraded equipment.

Like I pointed out back in December:

Whoever owns the Barrington stations' date=' [b']infrastructure needs to be the top priority[/b]. Only one Barrington-owned station is in HD (WACH Fox 57), nine others stations are widescreen. But when you see almost all of the Gray & Raycom stations operating in HD, this is really pitiful.

And even their website hasn't been updated. This proves that Barrington hasn't done any heavy lifting in any of its properties. What they have done since buying those Raycom properties seven years ago? Consolidating in Syracuse & Peoria, changing a logo in Marquette & brought HD to Columbia. And that's basically it & nothing else.

If the FCC acts on breaking up JSA & SSA agreements, this may be a simple way for Sinclair to cut the cord and "dump" extra stations to an entity....almost like CBS was forced to do with Viacom back in the 1970s when it was illegal for a network to own a syndication company.

Armstrong Williams' new company could be even less connected...based on the above article. This is more like a time-brokerage agreement where there is very little room for Sinclair to operate.

It's going to be very interesting to see how its going to turn out with the proposed ownership structure the FCC is pushing (Cross-ownership media structure & to reform/overhaul or to end the JSA/SSAs). I think David Smith knew he had eyes on the Barrington stations and didn't want to put everything in the same entity. So he wanted to place those small market stations to a privatized subsidiary, while continuing getting those stations in the big stations and keeping them under the Sinclair form. So if this new Sinclair subsidiary is moving to Schaumburg, this would be the third station group after Benedek (was in Hoffman Estates) & Barrington to house a station group headquarters in a northwest suburb of Chicago. I wonder if Sinclair will also be moving KFDM in Beaumont & KTVL in Medford into the "new" Chesapeake subsidiary, since they are the two smallest Sinclair stations on the current roster. I know many people are very irate (including folks on this boards) on Sinclair's 18-month acquisitive streak, but those bankers giving them high praises. SMMFH!! They won't do that when they be in gigantous debt.

As for the Howard Stirk's firm, if that is the case, it better be the case. I don't want to see yet another Sinclair umbrella shell that is secretly calling all the shots, like this new Chesapeake entity. IMHO, I feel very edgy because I think Smith is using Williams as a poster guy to shut the FCC folks up so they can see more minority owners. I hope this is what Williams wants, and it appears he wants to expand under his own stewardship.

The only other minority ownership I can think of is the Roberts brothers that own the bankrupt Roberts Broadcasting (I'm sad about this company, I really do). And Deborah McDermott is running the new Young Broadcasting. This is the reason why the current FCC commissioner want to reform the current JSA/SSA to see more minorities own TV stations. But I don't think it won't change much of the status quo. You know I haven't heard anything else about former Bayou City Broadcasting owner DuJuan McCoy, which he stated after he sold the Abilene/San Angelo stations to London Broadcasting last fall, that he had a bid on other mid-market stations. But I have doubt that any other minority (black or hispanic) that want to come forward and try to own a TV station. And at this point, once a giant station group grabs hold to a very firms like name and other small firms go away to be grabbed by these big Super-Groups like Nexstar & Sinclair, it's pretty much "Lights Out, Goodnight" at this point. And which one of them would voluntarity sell some of its stations to another group after acquiring. The only reason they would want to sell is if that station isn't making enough money. Sinclair just unloaded WLAJ, and is unloading WLWC and will unload three others. Alchemedia & Huntington are the new groups in town, but they might not get any cheddar or butter at all, while Sinclair & Nexstar continuing to run the gauntlet.

We just have to wait and see how everything is played out. But once Sinclair & Nexstar finally end its acquisition phase, since Nexstar have the old Clear Channel's Inergize Digital CMS, they can re-do all of the Nexstar stations websites with the Inergize. And since Sinclair loves to get bank loans to acquire stations, they can get the capital and re-instate the in-house news ops. of WPGH Fox 53 News in Pittsburgh. It doesn't make sense to buy more than $1.5 bil worth of over 50 television stations in an eighteen month period and not pour in the capital to finally restart that news ops in a very competitive market.

Archived