FOX News Channel Begins Daily Programming with National Anthem

Big Country News

Early this morning I had gotten up to finish some work and turned on FNC just in time to catch the last 15 minutes of the O'Reilly rerun. When the show ended, the ticker and logo-cube went away then patriotic graphics featuring troops, national landmarks, stars and flags appeared accompanied by the Star Spangled Banner.

I know back in the day, stations would end programming with the National Anthem, but I thought that practice stopped. Either way, this is the first time I have seen FNC do this.

Opinions?

It's more unusual in the US than elsewhere.

Random example: In Colombia all networks must broadcast the National Anthem at 6am and 6pm (this from a law that came into effect circa 1996). It was already played at closedown. Then again, Colombian television is was possibly the most convoluted TV system ever devised—it took me weeks to figure all of the moving parts and pieces out after reading primary source material in Spanish and being confused by YouTube videos. (The product is about 25 Wikipedia articles on the subject, so nobody else has to go through what I did.)

I think the last time I'd seen any television station air the national anthem was WGN-TV in the early morning hours like around 5:30am (I think earlier than that, and then when they expand the morning news, those were retired). It would start with Doug Paul's voice announcing the callsign, Tribune Broadcasting, studio/transmitter location, whatever, whatever, like stations use to do when the sign-on/sign-off many years back. During that announcement, it would show a chopper close up shot of the John Hancock Center and behind that, a sunrise towards Lake Michigan. They had a completely different Then they play the national anthem with close up shot with the waving flag with a translucent fade images of close ups of the statue of the Iwo Jima. That was memories.

Someone at Fox News Channel took a giant step to start playing the National Anthem on a regular basis, and on a cable network.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless something changed, WKBW in Buffalo still airs the National Anthem early on weekend mornings (IIRC, they sandwich it in-between infomercials). Plus the WDAY/WDAZ combo in North Dakota still "signs off" nightly and plays the anthem before and after.

Those three are the only ones that immediately come to mind.

Unless something changed, WKBW in Buffalo still airs the National Anthem early on weekend mornings (IIRC, they sandwich it in-between infomercials). Plus the WDAY/WDAZ combo in North Dakota still "signs off" nightly and plays the anthem before and after.

I would think a number of stations out in that part of the country (the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, etc.) still sign off on the OTA side due to the extremely small number of people likely to be watching via antenna in the middle of the night.

• 1 month later...

Archived