CNN updates ticker

MidwestTV

CNN appears to have changed their ticker back to the classic crawl format. It's larger than the last one (I believe) and has a simple blue background. Anyone else notice this change, or is it something specific to a certain program and I've never noticed before?

It's all a part of Zucker's changes. "Newsroom International" has also added a co-anchor, some guy alongside what's-her-face. I'm glad the ticker came back. The text on the flipper was frequently resized (squished) when the whole headline wouldn't fit, and it just looked messy.

I was hoping that the flipper was actually on its way out. CNN didn't use it after 8:00 on weeknights and also didn't use it on some of their Sunday morning shows (like Reliable Sources).

Erin Burnett OutFront, which only used the flipper to promote the show and its social media, has no ticker now and the lower-thirds are in the lower position.

The blue background reminds me of how the ticker used to look when it premiered on 9/11.

As of Tuesday, they changed it to navy text on a white backdrop with a slight shadow. It looks a little more integrated, though as many people have pointed out, the ticker still looks like something Zucker ordered to be put on the screen as quickly as possible.

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned on here, but sometime last week, they also changed the official breaking news color from yellow back to red.

As of Tuesday, they changed it to navy text on a white backdrop with a slight shadow. It looks a little more integrated, though as many people have pointed out, the ticker still looks like something Zucker ordered to be put on the screen as quickly as possible.

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned on here, but sometime last week, they also changed the official breaking news color from yellow back to red.

awh! I didn't mind the yellow color though! It was nice and different.

Although I'll admit, I sort of perferred the dar blue ticker background.

Although I'll admit, I sort of perferred the dar blue ticker background.

...As do I.

I'm thinking the blue ticker may be put back in use with new graphics (at some point). If you take a look at the white time element, it has a distinct color gradient (yet not glossy or 3D) that doesn't match the rest of the package. However, it bears some resemblance to the clean "This is CNN" promo.

flipper.png

• 3 weeks later...
Well the new ticker just played a new trick: it can turn dark red for breaking news.

FOX News Channel has a similar trick. Red 'Alert-like' transitions start then the ticker turns white and a bug displaying the word "ALERT" flashes while red text describes breaking news.

Unrelated(-ish), but FNC has changed the font on their ticker. I can't tell what the font is now, but it looks better. The new font isn't as thick, which I find to be easier on the eyes.

Unrelated(-ish), but FNC has changed the font on their ticker. I can't tell what the font is now, but it looks better. The new font isn't as thick, which I find to be easier on the eyes.

Looks like Gill Sans

FOX News Channel has a similar trick. Red 'Alert-like' transitions start then the ticker turns white and a bug displaying the word "ALERT" flashes while red text describes breaking news.

The pre-flipper ticker could also do that actually, from what I recall. But I'm pretty sure it didn't have nice bright (@CNNBRK) graphics in them.

Looks like Gill Sans

That's actually Avenir. Also, Fox News is no longer available here in Brazil, since the nation's leading cable operator (and the only television provider carrying FNC here), NET, has dropped the channel last Thursday.

Now, NET customers have the remaining foreign news channels: CNN International, BBC World News and Bloomberg (CNN en Español is available in select regions), as well as Brazilian news channels Globo News and BandNews TV.

Archived