The final weeks of Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson on CBS 2

Spring Rubber

It feels like it was just yesterday that this article was published...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/21/kurtis-jacobson-to-anchor-6-p-m-newcast-throught-february-2013/

...but here we are already in the final two weeks before the "Bill & Walter part deux" experiment comes to an end. I've only watched their newscast maybe two or three times (normally I only watch ABC 7 and WGN), but it was fun while it lasted.

Farewell Bill and Walter, and thanks for all of your years in Chicago news!

“I think we’ve benefited more than CBS...What fun to relive the best years of your life. Walter and I started co-anchoring in 1973. I was 33. He was 36 or 37, I think. Now we’re over 70.”

-Bill Kurtis

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/16083441/anchor%E2%80%99s-up-for-kurtis-%E2%80%98weve-benefited-more-than-cbs%E2%80%99

I'm double-recording this newscast on DVR and DVD right now.

EDIT 1: They just got done with the weather, and it's only 6:12. I wonder how big of a tribute segment for Bill & Walter they're planning for the end of the newscast.

EDIT 2: Apparently everything after this current break will be about Bill & Walter.

Nice tribute.

On a different note, I like the L3s used in that tribute video. Looks very nice, maybe CBS should update their O&O's to those.

I could live with that...build a whole package around those and it could be used for the locals as well as the network.

I've read some articles reflecting on the current state of TV news stating "the era of the anchorman is over". I take a lot of issue with that. I think Bill and Walter illustrate that having capable, experienced anchors still matters very much, even in this digital age.

The top rated stations will continue to have the best, longest tenured anchor teams.

I've read some articles reflecting on the current state of TV news stating "the era of the anchorman is over". I take a lot of issue with that. I think Bill and Walter illustrate that having capable, experienced anchors still matters very much, even in this digital age. The top rated stations will continue to have the best, longest tenured anchor teams.

I agree, partly. Bill and Walter are a gleam of a bygone era. I don't think the era of the anchorman is over. I just think there is no 'anchorman' left.

The way journalists, if you even want to call them that, are trained must have changed dramatically over the last 50 years or so. I have seen the style Walter and Bill possess, a formerly prevalent style, still occupying very few markets.

And to the second part of your comments. Psshh. At KUSA Adele Arakawa is phoning it in and Mark Koebrich does not possess the verbal authoritative quality to present the news! News programming is very boring in Denver and uninspired. But the fact that KUSA is still #1, even when NBC is #4 speaks volumes about the people in Denver.

I am a Denverite and I approve this message. :)

Yeah, I've never actually been kinda pissed while reading his page until I read this. He's still the best in Chicago at what he does, and more than entitled to his opinion, but I respectfully disagree with him. Was the farewell perfect? Far from it. Was it terrible/disrespectful/horrendous/the worst thing ever? Absolutely not. Frankly, I don't think Feder wants to get off his high horse, maintaining that reinstalling 'Skippy & the Man' was a "move of desperation".

• 2 weeks later...

Archived