Larry Wert will head Tribune Broadcasting

CircleSeven

Feder reports within the hour, that WMAQ President & General Manager Larry Wert will be the new president of the broadcasting arm of the Tribune Company. Its has been a few weeks since Tribune has exited from four years of being at Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Larry Wert held his position as the President & GM at Channel 5 since 1998, right when the station was at its darkest times.

I hope he can restructure the Tribune stations, because they really need the help in a few markets.

So who's spot does Wert take at Tribune? is it Niels Larson or Steve Charlier? Hopefully Wert can get rid of Tribune's idea for virtual sets and invest in the smaller stations like San Diego/Sacramento.

EXCELLENT!!!! The de-Zell-ing of Tribune is underway!

New York needs a LOT of help. Dump PIX11 general manager Eric Meyrowitz (as I have been saying all along), and hire a REAL news director (Four months since knucklehead Bill Carey left, and they haven't hired one), and WPIX will be respectable again.

This is quite an unprecedented time in Chicago TV history. Never has five stations (WBBM, WFLD, WLS, WGN and now WMAQ) changed GMs in (less than/a little over) a year. Wert will have his work cut out for him at WGN-AM and I doubt any serious changes will happen at WGN-TV right away. The Tribune TV group is in good hands given that Wert is highly respected within the industry. Good move by the Tribune Co.

WGN Morning News had the first on-air interview with Larry, as he appeared on their show this morning.

If you know the program, you can guess how the interview went. I'll post the video when it's up...

Archived