Weather Channel's Insane Storm Names

Jess

So, the Weather Channel has been naming storm systems this year, as we all know, and right now New England is just about to find Nemo right about now.

The idea of naming winter storms is idiotic in and of itself, but the Weather Channel has been using some... interesting names. A few weeks ago, we essentially had Winter Storm Gandalf. Okay, they spelled it Gandolf, but really now. Nemo you can at least make some funny jokes with. And during their ludicrous coverage, they turned their attention to the next one...

WINTER STORM ORKO.

That's right, the next winter storm is named after that annoying sidekick on He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. You know, the floating one that you wish would accidentally be impaled on He-Man's sword? Yeah. That one.

It gets better. Here's the list:

naming-winter-storms_650x366.jpg

So after Orko, we have a Winter Storm named Q - that's right, Q. (Yes, I know it's a Star Trek reference, and they also did KHAAAAAN, but

After that, Mr. Balboa gets a storm named after him, then it's a planet and its moon, then it's this guy:

1220505410276ev0.jpg

Then it's Where's Waldo's twin with boobs apparently, and then the name of a Yankee or someone who enjoys pic-a-nic baskets, you pick whatever.

...excuse me a minute.

GardnerFacepalmBig.jpg

Seriously, that list.

This is so ridiculous it is hilarious and just a little bit sad. If I were TWC, I would start naming the storms after products and companies; try to make a few bucks. Winter Storm Head & Shoulders ("We clean up dandruff like your local government cleans up after snow!"), Hurricane Draino ("We don't just destroy homes! We destroy clogs!") or Noreaster KFC ("Take a bite out of weather and our delicious Original Recipe fried chicken!"). You know, something revenue worthy and clever.

I think I already said this on the Athena thread, but for those who missed it, here's another friendly reminder from Boromir:

ardorwinterstorms.jpg

Seriously, whoever came up with some of the names on that list needs to get their head examined.

shakes his head. It would be ok if they named a storm after a legit WWF wrestler, but naming a storm after an obscure mediocre wrestler that was alongside the Million Dollar Man. shakes his head.

He still is alongside the Million Dollar Man:

l.jpg

And I would have less of an issue with the names if they were based upon, you know, real human names. Like WFSB has always done.

...and as if on cue, Weather Channel has a chyron up saying "BLINDING NEMO". Arrrrrghhhhh.

Silly or not, "Nemo" is clearly working, and the TWC naming system is here to stay--with some tweaks, hopefully.

Brian Norcross gave the NY Times a great reason for naming the storms: "Twitter needs a hashtag." Nemo trended on Twitter for part of Friday, and other blizzard hashtags simply haven't been as popular.

Personalizing anything with a name makes it easier to remember. Basic human behavior.

Since the goal is to prevent injury or death, why would any official choose to ignore something that makes a severe storm easier for the public to follow, especially when a large segment of said public is already using it?

This is a no-brainer to me: name these storms, National Weather Service. They will need stricter guidelines, because the fact TWC is already on N with 5 weeks of winter to go means they're naming too many. Also, you don't want to get embarrassed by a name's common association.

Now, all that said, I believe the rest of TWC's Blizzard Nemo coverage has been hyperbolic.

The Weather Channel, whether you realize it or not, is getting EXACTLY what they want: People are talking. Yeah, these names are ridiculous, but, they are creating buzz.

EDIT: And...yeah, what devswartz said:

Silly or not, "Nemo" is clearly working, and the TWC naming system is here to stay--with some tweaks, hopefully.

Brian Norcross gave the NY Times a great reason for naming the storms: "Twitter needs a hashtag." Nemo trended on Twitter for part of Friday, and other blizzard hashtags simply haven't been as popular.

Personalizing anything with a name makes it easier to remember. Basic human behavior.

shakes his head. It would be ok if they named a storm after a legit WWF wrestler, but naming a storm after an obscure mediocre wrestler that was alongside the Million Dollar Man. shakes his head.

"Luna" was supposedly named after a character from My Little Pony, which was worth a groan.

Devswartz and Nate make great points. I'm coming around to the concept, especially after findi out thiss was a Norcross idea (if anyone knows their stuff, it's him). He's right - we need hashtags, and #nemo at least isn't as bad as #snowmaggeddon. Plus the name has clearly caught on.

So I think, if this is goi to happen, the NWS should legitimize it. That way ALL outlets will use the name, and information will be uniform. I don't know how, because there are reasons they haven't done this yet.

Just, next time, let's use normal names.

• 7 months later...

My meteorology class is ripping this to shreds on our class Facebook page. We HATE the Weather Channel with a passion, and have a ton of fun with it. The winter storm list only encourages us.

Archived