Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WJZY will probably wait until this fall when the news share agreement with WBTV is up. Until then, expect that newscast to be moved back to WJZY for the time being.

I would think that they would want to have a news program running by the start of the NFL season

It depends on how far they are with building a news department (or on how close to completion they are with construction at the Speed studios). If I'm not mistaken, after Fox bought back WFXT in 1995, they kept a news sharing agreement with NECN for a few months until they could take the newscast in-house.

Unless there's a stipulation in the WBTV contract that says otherwise, moving the newscast to WJZY with the switch makes sense as an interregnum. But doesn't it feel like FOX is keeping a lot of the internals under wraps?

It depends on how far they are with building a news department (or on how close to completion they are with construction at the Speed studios). If I'm not mistaken, after Fox bought back WFXT in 1995, they kept a news sharing agreement with NECN for a few months until they could take the newscast in-house.

Unless there's a stipulation in the WBTV contract that says otherwise, moving the newscast to WJZY with the switch makes sense as an interregnum. But doesn't it feel like FOX is keeping a lot of the internals under wraps?

The agreement says that WJZY can move the newscast there.

The agreement says that WJZY can move the newscast there.

WBTV's 10 p.m. newscast originated on WJZY back when it was a UPN affiliate, WJZY then moved it to WMYT last year. So the way the news share agreement with WBTV is structured, it's very possible that the newscast could return to WJZY by the time it joins Fox.

Israel Balderas (News at 10 anchor) left the station as of Monday. Also new promos have run out promoting CW Shows and WCCB News. They will be keeping the name WCCB Charlottehttp://charlottemediascene.blogspot.com/2013/05/anchor-israel-balderas-leaves-wccb.html?m=1

I mentioned about Balderas' departure on the "Out and About" thread.

It's going to be weird seeing that "46" font within the "FOX box" considering how long it took me to get used to its most recent CW46 logo. However, it's going to be interesting watch WJZY evolve into a FOX O&O in due time.

FOX is going just plucking people left and right from former O&O WGHP. I guess they miss the stability of ownership and perks that comes from being an employee of NewsCorp versus Local TV LLC whom could wind up in the hands of anyone in the next few months (or years).

It's possible some of the staffers might still be getting benefits from Fox. I know of at least one station where some people were still getting benefits from the owner that sold them 15 years prior...

Well we know that the "WCCB, Charlotte's CW" brand will no doubt stick. The question still remains on the definitive news brand. Will it still be WCCB News or change on up to become Charlotte's CW News. The latter would uber-stupid. I'm not happy about this new logo. To me Being local is the only way to go. And with a station that have rich history, they're following the mantra of many other stations to have a CW branding.

It's sad that almost 35 years ago, WCCB lost ABC in the '78 affiliation switch. ABC was moved to WSOC 9, while NBC was moved from 9 to WRET 36 (now WCNC). 18 was stucked being an indy for eight years until Fox came about. Now history is going to repeat itself again, with WCCB losing another big affiliate.

Now for its newscast, I wished they can stop with the two half-hour separate news and have it under one name for the hour. If they wanna call it "WCCB News Edge" for the 10pm, call it that. I know its been recently since they extended the show from 10:35 to 11pm. They need to treat their 10pm like its a full hour news show, instead of treating it like a two-half hour shows.

Archived