Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

It could be a good idea, since the nearest Univision station is WUVC in Raleigh. I'm not familiar with the Charlotte market, though. To someone who is more familiar, do you think the market could support a Spanish station?

Hispanic population is already the size of Asheville, NC and growing rapidly. The city has a weekly Spanish language newspaper, La Noticia.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My bad. But Fox did take over operations of both stations from Citicasters via an LMA at the same time - on September 1, 1995 - buying them in January 1996. Fox bought them instead of New World due to then-existing ownership caps that put New World over the limit, which were ultimately lifted and resulted in Fox's purchase of New World; in addition to WVTM also being owned by New World, that station would be sold to NBC.

It was only WBRC that had to be run as an ABC station by Fox for one full year (I'm including the LMA by Fox from Citicasters). That in turn gave Allbritton and ABC enough time to set up the "ABC 33/40" rimshot trimulcast.

I think the length of the ABC affiliation contract also was a factor in that decision.

Don't forget, Fox also indirectly had an independent for three full months (KSAZ in Phoenix; CBS moved in September 1994, Fox moved over in December). New World wasn't bought by Fox until 1996, which is probably worth some note.

Don't forget, Fox also indirectly had an independent for three full months (KSAZ in Phoenix; CBS moved in September 1994, Fox moved over in December).

That's also because New World was waiting for KNXV's Fox contract to run out... and as Scripps affiliated that station with ABC (which ultimately lead to the Westinghouse/CBS merger), a spurned KTVK went independent, while the market's original independent (KPHO) went with CBS.

New World wasn't bought by Fox until 1996, which is probably worth some note.

Indeed. WJW only rebranded as "Fox 8" after Fox formally took over (they used a variant of their classic "ei8ht" logo for one year prior, all
, "ei8ht IS NEWS!"). The station's longtime VP/GM, Virgil Dominic, said as long as he remained at WJW, it would never be called "Fox 8". He was let go in October 1995.

You all remember I did upload the FOX affiliation switch announcement on YT, knowing WAGA and all New World stations were switching to FOX in '94.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RCftQgR7Sk

A more comprehensive (and truthful) explanation

, which was an NBC O&O traded to CBS (for compensation/tax considerations brought about by NBC's purchase of displaced CBS O&O WCAU in the wake of the Westinghouse/CBS pact-turned-merger, which saw KYW become that market's CBS affiliate - and eventual O&O).

Mind you, Fox already had an O&O in Denver, which is an AFC market to boot.

A more comprehensive (and truthful) explanation
' date=' which was an NBC O&O traded to CBS (for compensation/tax considerations brought about by NBC's purchase of displaced CBS O&O WCAU in the wake of the Westinghouse/CBS pact-turned-merger, which saw KYW become that market's CBS affiliate - and eventual O&O).[/size']

Mind you, Fox already had an O&O in Denver, which is an AFC market to boot.

Had, being the key word. Fox no longer does. And what will happen with Local TV's sale of KDVR is anyones guess. But we can speculate that it will be Tribune. ;)

Had, being the key word. Fox no longer does. And what will happen with Local TV's sale of KDVR is anyones guess. But we can speculate that it will be Tribune. ;)

If it's anyone but the Tribune that gets KDVR, I will eat my hat. :p

WCCB has changed their website to wccbcharlotte.com and the website myfoxcharlotte.com is now registered to Twentieth Century Fox

That probably should have been expected. Although, WCCB hadn't been using the "myfoxcharlotte.com" domain name since 2009, so it takes some of the confusion off.

That probably should have been expected. Although, WCCB hadn't been using the "myfoxcharlotte.com" domain name since 2009, so it takes some of the confusion off.

I would seriously have hoped that FOX would be evolving from the MyFox(city).com domain name since the sale of Myspace. Probably the easiest way to do this is to drop the My from the domain and register Fox(city).com. As I speak, FoxLA.com, FoxPhoenix.com, FoxBoston.com and likely others redirect to the MyFox(city).com website counterparts.

The fact that they continue to use the "MyFox" domain scheme instead of things that don't take as long to type (e.g. fox46.com) and aren't stupidly dated bothers me.

Much like launching a site named DuMontTelevison9Denver.com or something.

I would seriously have hoped that FOX would be evolving from the MyFox(city).com domain name since the sale of Myspace. Probably the easiest way to do this is to drop the My from the domain and register Fox(city).com. As I speak, FoxLA.com, FoxPhoenix.com, FoxBoston.com and likely others redirect to the MyFox(city).com website counterparts.

I think someone forgot to tell Fox that MySpace was actually sold... and MyNetworkTV no longer qualifies to be a network. :D

I think someone forgot to tell Fox that MySpace was actually sold... and MyNetworkTV no longer qualifies to be a network. :D

To help stations bolster their own images, I would probably rename the MNTV programming service to something like: 20th Century Network Services. Basically allowing owners to give the stations their own local feel. Several stations are still using the My(#)TV branding, but I think we've already established that that branding doesn't work!

Hey, Guess what y'all.

It is done!!! WJZY & WMYT is now under Fox's control as of yesterday. And its before the month of May. For the first time since the mid-90s, they will operate a station that affiliates a network other than Fox or MyNetworkTV, at least one of them and only for an interim.

They have a lot of time before July 1st. Let the transformation begin.

There's a lot of questions. Where will all those subchannels go. The Soul Of The South Network announce their official launch will be May 27. And they will occupy the former Equity Broadcasting facilities in Little Rock. Will Fox keep the Soul Of The South Network and all those other subbies, Antenna TV & This TV? And if they don't where all those go. Will WCCB take This TV, while WJZY or WMYT get the new subby Movies!? That Jimmy Swaggert channel will no doubt be axed.

So I'm a little confused.

Did Fox only buy these stations from Capitol Broadcasting because Capitol wanted to keep the Fox affiliation on WRAZ and tried to thwart Fox's efforts to buy Sinclair's stations in this market?

Sorry, I'm not from NC so I'm not too familiar with the background history of these stations.

Did Fox only buy these stations from Capitol Broadcasting because Capitol wanted to keep the Fox affiliation on WRAZ and tried to thwart Fox's efforts to buy Sinclair's stations in this market?

Sorry, I'm not from NC so I'm not too familiar with the background history of these stations.

Yea.

Let's just say that the folks at Raleigh's channel 5 was willing to sell its Charlotte assets to Fox so they can keep channel 50 as a Fox affiliate, so Fox wouldn't have to take the Sinclair duopoly. It wasn't officially the reason. That reasoning made tons of sense. And all the other markets (Hampton Roads, Vegas & Cincinnati) were able to sign deals to keep their affiliates in their respective towns, so Fox don't have to buy any of those Sinclair stations. Sinclair has six days to play that retransmission consent to Fox. That WUTB application is still waiting for approval by the FCC.

Here's WCCB's formal CW announcement. I hope they keep the "WCCB Charlotte" branding after July 1.

And right on cue' date=' WCCB is joining The CW on July 1st.

We all saw this coming a mile away, right?

Far from a surprise. Cox seems satisfied with 64 being independent so I don't think they pursued the CW (and I wouldn't be surprised if their re-airings of Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz from Channel 9 outdraw or are close to outdrawing the CW in the ratings).

Archived