Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

When they were producing their test webcast a few weeks ago, I feel really bad hearing "Hey, hey Carolina." So I pumped up the Close of the Fox Affiliate theme, turned the web player down and listened to the traditional Fox theme during the breaks. It felt... Right.

It doesn't even have to be the O&O music. Even this sounds better than "Hey, Hey Carolinas"

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long do you guys think it'll be before "MyFoxCarolinas" gets rebranded to "Fox 46"?

I think they may have chose the "My FOX Carolinas" branding rather than "FOX 46 News" because they knew that this type of news that they are putting out now is an experiment that may not work out (and it doesn't seem like it will), and they are saving the "FOX 46 News" for when the finally decide that this current format isn't going to work and to switch to a more traditional newscast. (A bad February sweeps and maybe we will see huge changes?)

It's not so much the news they are reporting that's the problem. It's just the style they are reporting it. And Hey Hey Carolinas needs to go and left to promos, and I agree they need to brand the news as Fox 46.

Also program guides need to be added to the website. Oh and update the WMYT site already. Can't believe how much that site has been neglected.

This is what the Director of Local Content told me when I asked if they were building a separate set, in their studio space. The studio was previously being used as the newsroom, while the current one was built.

@GeoffFox46: @CLTNewsWatch eventually will have some sets in there but main show will happen in the new newsroom

I believe there will be at least a weather center in there. Maybe they'll build a morning show set too?

Fox treats their MyTV stations like bastard stepchildren...can't be surprised with WMYT.

Wish they would sell it to Raycom for a duopoly with WBTV and they could put their 7-9 am and 8-9 pm news on there instead of 3.2. Why not 10? Well not sure if Charlotte needs 4 10:00 newscasts. (Although might have too many options from 7-9 am too). Don't think delaying MyNet programs til 9-11 pm would be a big deal. WMYT still has some ACC football and basketball games anyway so a WBTV-WMYT duopoly would make sense, I mean they don't promote them on WJZY like they should. Only downside is the fact 55 might would have more infomercials.

I officially give up on this station. First of all they had Ned Hibbard their Asst. ND anchor. They couldn't have one of the "digital journalists" anchor instead? Secondly they are recycling content. They had a package in there they aired last night. The newsroom is empty on weekends which makes this "innovative" idea worthless when the newsroom is not fully staffed. I actually don't think there was any actual "news" in there other than filler, recycled reports from during the week, and weather. I did not feel very informed on anything other than the weather and the Panthers after watching that. Oh, and Sarah Crosland introduced us to Fran's Filling Station restaurant (and this is on the news, why?). And Shannon Rauch told us three things to do this weekend. Really struggling to fill time... Then they recycle another story from two days ago.

They seem to be VERY limited to what they cover. Quite frankly, most of what I've seen is human interest (both weekdays and weekends). Now I'm not saying they need to cover everything on the police scanner, but they need to throw in more investigative, political and hard news pieces in the mix. Oh and DON'T recycle content. It's called "news" for a reason... Usually I'm against airing national news during the local news, but a lot of the junk they were airing wasn't even news I would've actually seen a couple national PKGs then recycled content or the best restaurants in Charlotte. Or there weren't any events going on this weekend they could've sent a photog to (I'm sure every weekend Charlotte has some stupid pet event; I know we have those every weekend)? I rather would've seen that then recycled content.

One positive: If they're going to originate news from the newsroom, they definitely did a better job using it today then they have when Cheryl was anchoring (and literally all the reporters/anchors are hounding her, making the shots too crowded).

iPads are also not very good cameras. One story I saw was VERY grainy.

I don't think anybody at the station level needs to be fired, they definitely have some great people working for them. I would just try to switch to a traditional format. Yes, that means they would need to make more hires, especially photogs. They would have to get prompters too, as I believe they are just reading off the paper. They have their work cut for them and a ways to go before they make any sort of impact in that market.

By this time in 2015, I'm convinced they would have switched to something far more traditional. If they're in the same building still in the newsroom, so be it. But the building is not what's preventing them from putting out a traditional newscast, it's the strategy, plain and simple.

And I think WCCB is here to stay for a while. Yes their news isn't great but it's far more watchable than WJZY. And they don't really recycle content to the extent WJZY does. Hell I think if you watch both newscasts together one after the other, you will get all the Charlotte coverage you need; the hard news from WCCB and the fluff from WJZY.

Wish they would sell it to Raycom for a duopoly with WBTV and they could put their 7-9 am and 8-9 pm news on there instead of 3.2. Why not 10? Well not sure if Charlotte needs 4 10:00 newscasts. (Although might have too many options from 7-9 am too). Don't think delaying MyNet programs til 9-11 pm would be a big deal. WMYT still has some ACC football and basketball games anyway so a WBTV-WMYT duopoly would make sense, I mean they don't promote them on WJZY like they should. Only downside is the fact 55 might would have more infomercials.

I could see this happening but with WCCB. Bahakel's bottom line has got to be taking a beating from losing the Panthers and the ad revenue from their games on their crown jewel station, so I would think it is a possibility they could sell and I could see Raycom wanting a companion for one of their crown jewels. That would be the best case scenario if Bahakel has trouble and they want to sell.

I could see this happening but with WCCB. Bahakel's bottom line has got to be taking a beating from losing the Panthers and the ad revenue from their games on their crown jewel station, so I would think it is a possibility they could sell and I could see Raycom wanting a companion for one of their crown jewels. That would be the best case scenario if Bahakel has trouble and they want to sell.

Yeah wouldn't mind a WBTV-WCCB duo either though it would probably be the end of WCCB's news department and it has proven it deserves to stick around.

I finally caught the replay of tonight's newscast on Livestream. This so-called "newscast" is a real piece of work. My opinions of it thus far echo what's already been said, especially about the use of "Hey Hey Carolinas"....

Garbage like this does not belong on television....if you're going to use the internet to cover the news.....keep it there, stream it online or on devices, but don't broadcast crap like this!

This makes any bad idea ever done by WCCB or any other station look like it swept the Emmy awards......

Come to think about it....WJZY's whole idea is a lousy, lackadaisical, modern interpretation of this gem from Indianapolis.....

Even this has passion to it...the people at WJZY just have a bunch of fancy tools at their disposal and are buried away at their desks or their ipads, and awkwardly moving in the background, whereas there's a sense of urgency on the WTHR clip (although it was probably heavily staged)

If this is going to be on television, it needs to have the "wow" factor of television..I'm hoping FOX has more ideas up their sleeve, or else WAXN/WSOC is going to rule the ENTIRE 10pm hour by doing a TRADITONAL NEWSCAST in a place like Charlotte....what a concept!

End rant.

I officially give up on this station. First of all they had Ned Hibbard their Asst. ND anchor. They couldn't have one of the "digital journalists" anchor instead? Secondly they are recycling content. They had a package in there they aired last night. The newsroom is empty on weekends which makes this "innovative" idea worthless when the newsroom is not fully staffed. I actually don't think there was any actual "news" in there other than filler, recycled reports from during the week, and weather. I did not feel very informed on anything other than the weather and the Panthers after watching that. Oh, and Sarah Crosland introduced us to Fran's Filling Station restaurant (and this is on the news, why?). And Shannon Rauch told us three things to do this weekend. Really struggling to fill time... Then they recycle another story from two days ago.

They seem to be VERY limited to what they cover. Quite frankly, most of what I've seen is human interest (both weekdays and weekends). Now I'm not saying they need to cover everything on the police scanner, but they need to throw in more investigative, political and hard news pieces in the mix. Oh and DON'T recycle content. It's called "news" for a reason... Usually I'm against airing national news during the local news, but a lot of the junk they were airing wasn't even news I would've actually seen a couple national PKGs then recycled content or the best restaurants in Charlotte. Or there weren't any events going on this weekend they could've sent a photog to (I'm sure every weekend Charlotte has some stupid pet event; I know we have those every weekend)? I rather would've seen that then recycled content.

One positive: If they're going to originate news from the newsroom, they definitely did a better job using it today then they have when Cheryl was anchoring (and literally all the reporters/anchors are hounding her, making the shots too crowded).

iPads are also not very good cameras. One story I saw was VERY grainy.

I don't think anybody at the station level needs to be fired, they definitely have some great people working for them. I would just try to switch to a traditional format. Yes, that means they would need to make more hires, especially photogs. They would have to get prompters too, as I believe they are just reading off the paper. They have their work cut for them and a ways to go before they make any sort of impact in that market.

By this time in 2015, I'm convinced they would have switched to something far more traditional. If they're in the same building still in the newsroom, so be it. But the building is not what's preventing them from putting out a traditional newscast, it's the strategy, plain and simple.

And I think WCCB is here to stay for a while. Yes their news isn't great but it's far more watchable than WJZY. And they don't really recycle content to the extent WJZY does. Hell I think if you watch both newscasts together one after the other, you will get all the Charlotte coverage you need; the hard news from WCCB and the fluff from WJZY.

Ok, to be fair I don't know if they have hired a weekend anchor yet. You could probably rip them for not having anyone hired yet if that is the case, I suppose.

OTOH, Fox likes to run their O&O's lean and mean from a staffing perspective (I believe WXmanTim has also alluded to this before as well. Maybe he would like to elaborate further.) So, It wouldn't shock me If Ned IS the weekend, either. I know they like to run it lean around here at KMSP, especially on weekends. The weekend morning co-anchor position was dumped (left unfilled as he was promoted to weekdays) just to get a weekend morning (or, 4th) meteorologist back in the fold. And, I'll never forget when Bill Dallman, KMSP's VP/News Director at the time (now, VP/News Director @ FS1) had to go out and report on the Metrodome roof collapse. There wasn't a reporter on hand at that time (early Sunday AM) to go out and cover the breaking news. So, he ended up going out and filing the report for the morning show. It makes me chuckle a little bit but, if you want to see the video it's here. I love the fact he mentioned that the photographer had to suggest maybe going over to the Fox Sports people to get some inside info.

That also would help explain why there aren't many reporters hanging around the newsroom on the weekends either in the background (which does nothing to help to concept when the newsroom is empty) or pestering the anchor. It also might help explain the package recycling or reliance on packages from NewsEdge, NNS, Etc. For the most part it's ok to run "lean and mean" and it usually works out just fine. But, every once and awhile you are going to get caught with your pants down.

KSAZ? Lean? They have a two-anchor weekend evening show, something nobody else still does in this market.

KSAZ is run like this odd combo of a Big Three station and a Fox O&O. They're embracing pieces of News Evolution—the MMJs and mobile shots, the touchscreen, the stand-up news delivery format—and then they have older personalities than most Fox O&Os, like John Hook, Linda Williams, Dave Munsey and Jude La Cava (each of them has been there since at least 1994, Williams since 1981 and Munsey back to the 70s and KOOL-TV era). They have a full 5 1/2 hour morning show, but they also have a noon and 10pm newscast. They're odd in other ways; they produce their own graphics and music to supplement the Fox O&O stuff (most recently, a 3D-heavy open and a news theme to match it), for instance.

...I don't get it.

KSAZ? Lean? They have a two-anchor weekend evening show, something nobody else still does in this market.

KSAZ is run like this odd combo of a Big Three station and a Fox O&O. They're embracing pieces of News Evolution—the MMJs and mobile shots, the touchscreen, the stand-up news delivery format—and then they have older personalities than most Fox O&Os, like John Hook, Linda Williams, Dave Munsey and Jude La Cava (each of them has been there since at least 1994, Williams since 1981 and Munsey back to the 70s and KOOL-TV era). They have a full 5 1/2 hour morning show, but they also have a noon and 10pm newscast. They're odd in other ways; they produce their own graphics and music to supplement the Fox O&O stuff (most recently, a 3D-heavy open and a news theme to match it), for instance.

...I don't get it.

I mean lean in the sense that you only get so much. If the powers that be at FTS decide you get x number for this position or that position then that's all you get. You make do with what you have. That means you need to get people to wear more than on hat. And, the off-peak hours (weekends/weekend AM's) might end up a little thin. I don't know but I'm sure most of this holds true with KSAZ. Plus, I'd bet KSAZ is putting out more hours of news with a similar sized staff to their counterparts. I assure you FTS runs a tight ship when it comes to staffing.

Alexandra Miller has just been hired as junior digital journalist, maybe she will be weekend anchor.

Really, "junior digital journalist" is her job title? And a quick search turns up she's a recent college grad. *shakes head*

...I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. A lot of stations in really small markets put out a better product then they do, and they're an O&O in DMA 25...

While I'm on it, isn't Rob Eicher married to Stephanie Coueignoux previously of WKYC? I'm thinking they may have plans for her up their sleeve. Maybe they will hire her for their morning news when it launches... (or if WCNC is still looking for a replacement for Kellie Patterson, she could also end up there)

Archived