Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not superfamiliar with Charlotte, but what are the chances WCCB could take the NBC affiliation away from WCNC? (And WCNC ending up with CW affiliation)

Zero chance.

Any idea how long NBC's current affiliation contract with WCNC?

Affiliation runs through 2021.

Furthermore, the NBC News Channel service which feeds affiliates national and international stories is in a building connected to WCNC.

Things are about to get really messy in Charlotte. I wouldn't want to be working in that market because it's about get really turbulent really quickly.

In this case, only if you work at WCCB. If Fox has to build a news department from scratch, it'll be a while for WJZY to make a dent in the ratings race.

I guess when WJZY gets a start-up newscast soon, TV46 can take the "FOX Charlotte, and FOX Charlotte News" name away from WCCB. As for the call letters; I guess they could change from WJZY to WFXC. The FXC means FOX Charlotte; it's just my two cents.

TVNewsCheck made this follow-up article, stating that one Fox insider stated that is not excercizing the option of the Sinclair stations. But Capitol & Fox have appeared to reach an agreement to keep the Fox affiliation on WRAZ 50. No further details on the agreement have been disclosed. So it probably means no Fox O&Os in Raleigh for now.

The article also states its appears that Meredith has also struck a deal to keep KVVU in Fox affil in Henderson, NV until the end of 2017, so I guess Las Vegas is out too. Weeks ago, Raycom reached a deal to keep Fox on Channel 19 in Cincinnati.

I think Capitol save themselves, if they weren't willing to sell the Charlotte stations, Fox would've bought the Sinclair stations in Raleigh and they would've lost Fox on channel 50. So I guess, if there's no traction in the Hampton Roads, then Sinclair will be just happy with WUTB and Fox may not be willing to buy any of the Sinclair stations after all.

In this case, only if you work at WCCB. If Fox has to build a news department from scratch, it'll be a while for WJZY to make a dent in the ratings race.

Not necessarily. I would assume Fox is going to spend a boatload to create a news department on par with the big dogs in town. If I'm running one of those stations (especially WSOC and WBTV) and I have talented people in front and behind the camera who could pursuaded to join the new game in town, I would be locking them in now.

TVNewsCheck made this follow-up article, stating that one Fox insider stated that is not excercizing the option of the Sinclair stations. But Capitol & Fox have appeared to reach an agreement to keep the Fox affiliation on WRAZ 50. No further details on the agreement have been disclosed. So it probably means no Fox O&Os in Raleigh for now.

The article also states its appears that Meredith has also struck a deal to keep KVVU in Fox affil in Henderson, NV until the end of 2017, so I guess Las Vegas is out too. Weeks ago, Raycom reached a deal to keep Fox on Channel 19 in Cincinnati.

I think Capitol save themselves, if they weren't willing to sell the Charlotte stations, Fox would've bought the Sinclair stations in Raleigh and they would've lost Fox on channel 50. So I guess, if there's no traction in the Hampton Roads, then Sinclair will be just happy with WUTB and Fox may not be willing to buy any of the Sinclair stations after all.

Keep in mind that the Fox affiliation agreement still allows Fox to terminate the deal if they buy another station in the market. Just because they aren't buying stations now doesn't mean they won't change their mind later.

I'm sure Fox would love to find a station at a bargain basement price in San Francisco or Seattle (2 NFC cities where they don't own their affiliate).

Since one of the advantages of this deal gives FOX an owned and operated station in an NFC market, comparing the list of markets with NFC teams and Fox O&Os leaves St. Louis, New Orleans, Seattle, Green Bay & San Francisco as markets with NFC teams and no FOX O&Os.

Down the road, could we see KCPQ, WLUK, KTVI (once an O&O) and KTVU becoming FOX O&Os?

Some are more likely than others....I could see KDNL potentially sacrificing itself since FOX isn't interested in the other Sinclair stations offered in exchange of WUTB. KTVI could be re-sold to them too if Local TV was willing to sell....

KCPQ could be a Tribune castoff since they're looking to sell off parts of the company...

Doubtful are WLUK and KTVU since Green Bay is a small market and KTVU is practically untouchable....(but it could happen)

Since Tom Benson owns WVUE and the Saints, count them out too....

I'm sure Fox would love to find a station at a bargain basement price in San Francisco or Seattle (2 NFC cities where they don't own their affiliate).

Side note. This year is the 50th anniversary of KTVU under Cox ownership. But I think KTVU is safe. Fox been trying to get KTVU for the longest.

If the new suits at the Trib are willing to divest, KCPQ/KZJO could be good for Fox's portfolio. Fox will drop that Joe TV branding for My22 and air MyNetworkTV at the right time.

Since one of the advantages of this deal gives FOX an owned and operated station in an NFC market, comparing the list of markets with NFC teams and Fox O&Os leaves St. Louis, New Orleans, Seattle, Green Bay & San Francisco as markets with NFC teams and no FOX O&Os.

Down the road, could we see KCPQ, WLUK, KTVI (once an O&O) and KTVU becoming FOX O&Os?

Some are more likely than others....I could see KDNL potentially sacrificing itself since FOX isn't interested in the other Sinclair stations offered in exchange of WUTB. KTVI could be re-sold to them too if Local TV was willing to sell....

KCPQ could be a Tribune castoff since they're looking to sell off parts of the company...

Doubtful are WLUK and KTVU since Green Bay is a small market and KTVU is practically untouchable....(but it could happen)

Since Tom Benson owns WVUE and the Saints, count them out too....

Also keep in mind that they once had WITI Milwaukee as an O&O, and sold them off to Local TV. (The Packers are technically a home team to both Green Bay and Milwaukee.) I doubt there is a direct correlation between NFC markets and station ownership.

Now B&C posting today that Bahakel has a really tough time digesting the news of losing Fox in Charlotte, and having an even tougher time negotiating a deal to keeping Fox on Myrtle Beach's WFXB. Bahakel's COO Jim Babb state "We fully expect to come to a good long-term extension on that contract," But later state that, "We're pretty far down the road on it."

I still think Young is trying to divest KRON, and I've heard rumors that Fox was interested at one point but decided to renew the affiliation agreement with KTVU regardless. Even though they don't own KTVU, the station still makes a ton of money for Fox to the point where buying KRON and rebuilding its news department (which essentially is a lost cause at this point) doesn't make fiscal sense.

Maybe Capitol wanted to keep FOX on WRAZ, but FOX probably didn't want them [/size]

Earlier, I was thinking Capitol's reasoning to sell the Charlotte stations to Fox is to hope Fox doesn't yank WRAZ the Fox affiliation in Raleigh.

And other boards have said what I said. Capitol basically sacrificed the Charlotte stations so they can keep Fox on Channel 50. But if that weren't the case, then Fox would've immediately give in to the WLFL/WRDC station, giving them a duopoly anyway in NC.

I still think Young is trying to divest KRON, and I've heard rumors that Fox was interested at one point but decided to renew the affiliation agreement with KTVU regardless. Even though they don't own KTVU, the station still makes a ton of money for Fox to the point where buying KRON and rebuilding its news department (which essentially is a lost cause at this point) doesn't make fiscal sense.

Also the problem with San Francisco (and Seattle to certain extent) is the news operations brand themselves differently a great chunk of the time because these are very strong left-leaning markets. KTVU "Channel 2 News / KTVU FOX2" and KCPQ "Q13 FOX / Q13 FOX News" They were to acquire those stations would have to operate, ala FOX5 Atlanta WAGA ,style or risk seeing their market share on both take a nosedive. On the other hand, I could see Tribune unloading KCPQ and KZJO to FOX to make some quick cash for WGN-TV, WPIX, and KTLA.

I'm assuming WJZY will most likely get an in-house produced local news broadcast, upon affiliating with Fox. I could picture "FOX 46" or "FOX Charlotte" branding, "MyFOX Charlotte" web-site name... and could picture 4:30-9AM weekday morning newscast (branded as "Good Day Charlotte"), 5-7PM evening news on weekdays, and 6:30-7PM evening news on weekends, 10-11:30PM late news 7 nights a week (11PM news getting the "News Edge" branding)

I'm assuming WJZY will most likely get an in-house produced local news broadcast, upon affiliating with Fox. I could picture "FOX 46" or "FOX Charlotte" branding, "MyFOX Charlotte" web-site name... and could picture 4:30-9AM weekday morning newscast (branded as "Good Day Charlotte"), 5-7PM evening news on weekdays, and 6:30-7PM evening news on weekends, 10-11:30PM late news 7 nights a week (11PM news getting the "News Edge" branding)

Or "Good Day Carolina" and "myfoxcarolina"

Or "Good Day Carolina" and "myfoxcarolina"

Problem with that is WHNS-TV Greenville, SC/Asheville, NC (Meredith) goes by "Fox Carolina."

I also see WJZY going by "FOX 46," to avoid confusion with WCCB. However, as far as the website goes, I predict either "myfox46.com" or "myfoxwjzy.com" (Former FOX O&O WGHP's website went by "myfoxwghp.com"; it no longer does now).

WJZY will get an in house broadcast. However I would not expect it to come as quick as July 1st. There is a lot of things that must be done including possibly acquiring new land or new studio space that right now WJZY does not have. WJZY/WMYT has one small space on the west side of Charlotte.

Don't expect the newscast to be on July 1st unless WBTV is still producing it.

I'm not sure that WJZY will get a full slate of newscasts right off the bat once its news department debuts (which would likely be sometime in 2014, if not at the very end of the year). Past situations in which Fox stations, owned or affiliated, have started news departments typically have resulted in the station carrying only a primetime newscast and then adding newscasts in earlier timeslots later on. Then again, Fox-owned stations have leaned more toward a Big Three-type newscast schedule in the last decade (except for WFLD, which doesn't have an early evening show right now, but is supposedly going to get one by the end of the year) to match the schedules of the former Big Three-affiliate stations that Fox Television Stations had acquired from New World in '97.

I doubt if WJZY will be branded as "Fox Charlotte" since it might be a little confusing to viewers who are used to hearing that branding on WCCB, not to mention the fact that two Fox-owned stations no longer use a "Fox (city)" branding: WTXF dropped "Fox Philadelphia" for "Fox 29" in 2003 and WFLD dropping "Fox Chicago" for "Fox 32" only a couple of months ago.

WJZY will get an in house broadcast. However I would not expect it to come as quick as July 1st. There is a lot of things that must be done including possibly acquiring new land or new studio space that right now WJZY does not have. WJZY/WMYT has one small space on the west side of Charlotte.

Don't expect the newscast to be on July 1st unless WBTV is still producing it.

Fox also has a larger space in Charlotte that houses Speed (soon to be Fox Sports 1), so that could be option. It conceivable that a 10 pm newscast could start in July, but given it's the summer, I would think the goal is to have the news department up and running by the first Sunday of the NFL season.

Fox also has a larger space in Charlotte that houses Speed (soon to be Fox Sports 1), so that could be option. It conceivable that a 10 pm newscast could start in July, but given it's the summer, I would think the goal is to have the news department up and running by the first Sunday of the NFL season.

SPEED's headquarters in Charlotte which is actually a mile away from where I am typing this does have some bigger space, but I don't know if it could handle SPEED's operations plus a newscast's operations in the same building.

Archived