Fox buying Charlotte's WJZY/WMYT

CircleSeven

Does this mean WJZY end up like WWJ right down to being the only other "big four" O&O that doesn't have a newscast?

Nope. All the FOX O&O have local newscast, with no exception. WJZY would revert back to traditional local newscasts.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this mean WJZY end up like WWJ right down to being the only other "big four" O&O that doesn't have a newscast?

They're not cutting the newscasts/news department, but rather going the more traditional route of presenting the news.

They're not cutting the newscasts/news department, but rather going the more traditional route of presenting the news.

Much like the other Fox O&Os. Is it because of the limitations of a nontraditional local newscast that would be prevalent if any other network O&O tried the same way WJZY did, or is it because people are still used to traditional local newscasts?

Much like the other Fox O&Os. Is it because of the limitations of a nontraditional local newscast that would be prevalent if any other network O&O tried the same way WJZY did, or is it because people are still used to traditional local newscasts?

Well, according to the article, they weren't making enough money. Plus the format which was meant to attract younger viewers, never fully caught on, not to mention that it alienated the older audience accustomed to a more traditional format. At the end of the day, they lost more money doing it the cheap way, than if they had invested a bit more and done it the more traditional way, right out of the gate. Even with a traditional format, they could still incorporate some kind of social media presence, instead they wasted all this time and money buying into something that was not going to work.

• 1 month later...

WJZY/WMYT now have the new Fox O&O Lakana web layouts. I'm not crazy about it. Menu should be at the top, not the bottom and I miss having all the links there to click on. I guess it'll grow on me though. They did fix the TV schedule grids. Used to be you could only click to the left.

Haven't heard who is taking Karen Adams' GM job. They sure are taking their time with that search. Could be a good thing. And with the departures at WSOC/WAXN, could be WJZY's opportunity to make some progress at 10. Though they need to worry about WCCB too. Still a long way to go.

Haven't heard who is taking Karen Adams' GM job. They sure are taking their time with that search. Could be a good thing. And with the departures at WSOC/WAXN, could be WJZY's opportunity to make some progress at 10. Though they need to worry about WCCB too. Still a long way to go.

Speak of the devil....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/media-scene-blog/article32431347.html

• 1 month later...

Almost two years after FOX yanked away their affiliation, WCCB has held their own for the most part.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/media-scene-blog/article38977503.html

The growth of Charlotte, better offerings by the CW, the strong determination to build local offerings and the past missteps of WJZY have kept WCCB in a competitive position.

Almost two years after FOX yanked away their affiliation, WCCB has held their own for the most part.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/tv/media-scene-blog/article38977503.html

The growth of Charlotte, better offerings by the CW, the strong determination to build local offerings and the past missteps of WJZY have kept WCCB in a competitive position.

It wasn't mentioned in the article, but I know 'CCB is glad Morgan Fogarty backed out of her AJAM gig only a few weeks after getting to NYC.

WCCB has done very very well for themselves. I thought that WCCB would fall to the ground, but after the super hilariously failure of the abandoning traditional format of WJZY, I see WCCB becoming a force to be reckoned with in Charlotte and if (A HUGE IF) WCCB somehow can beat WCNC in total day ratings or in some of their newscasts, then I can see WCCB expanding their news operations and fight against powerhouse stalwarts WBTV and WSOC/WAXN for #1 in Charlotte.

I can imagine the pressure is high for Bahakel to sell out. I'm sure if they were willing to sell, FOX would have bought WCCB way back when.

They've sort of got a WGN-thing going on in Charlotte as they are a successful news-intensive CW station that's giving the FOX O&O a serious run for their money.

The lack of success of WJZY probably played a factor of FOX giving up wrestling away the affiliation from KCPQ in Seattle and charting their own path for their grand plans of owning in their NFC markets.

Archived