R.I.P. Studio 5

24994J

No doubt a cost-cutting move, however, they will be without a back-up studio /space if they need it.

About damn time.. They've been talking about ditching it for a long time now. I doubt a backup studio is a major concern for them. WBBM and WLS do just fine without a backup studio.

Good thing is they followed the lease agreement in leaving the original floors, walls, finishes, etc. untouched and undamaged so it'll take no time changing that space back into lobby form. Patch a few holes here and there, some paint, and it'll be like Studio 5 was never there. Someone did mention the ticker outside the studio may remain however..

• 2 weeks later...

It was either yesterday or today, but Studio 5 has officially been retired...the morning show was in the Tower today. There's been a little set adjustment, Kye Martin is doing traffic in front of the 3X3 monitor wall (apparently it still exists), but I don't know where in the studio it's set up.

It was Wednesday that all shows are now done in that studio. I'm trying to figure out where that 3X3 monitor wall is as well. When Kye does her report she sometimes looks to her left towards the weather center when tossing to Andy. So I'm wondering if its behind the cameras towards the touch screen monitor. I'll try and catch Sports Sunday. They typically use interesting camera angles of the set going in and out of commercial breaks.

• 5 months later...

And now for an update.

A short trip to Chicago this morning found me walking past the old Studio 5, which has been gutted. It it still subdivided from the rest of the building's lobby and still has HVAC vents, but basically everything (and I mean everything) else is gone.

[ATTACH]1220.IPB[/ATTACH]

They did a real good job covering over the holes where the LED ticker was mounted to the building structure.

85204496_PhotoJul27100456AM.thumb.jpg.8763baa9bef4da509588215df2159a34.jpg

Archived