SouthernMedia's News Music Search Archive has a new look

^^^

That's a nice find. I remember looking at that site years ago, but I'd never thought to listen to some of the other cuts on it. I remember that KUSA newstips cut very fondly, and I didn't know there was an extended version of it. It really shows you once again how versatile and underrated that theme was.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Third Street's website has audio samples of their KUSA and KARE music, so NMSA's probably not all wrong.

(Also, click on "Colorado St. Bank"; it's a mislabeled cut of their KUSA package)

Well, Rob Barrett IS Third Street, but he previously composed for The Coast (which is how I got the IDs for We Know What Matters, WFTV 1988 and KCTV 1992 - Barrett wrote all of those while at The Coast).

Perhaps the initial packages were done at The Coast, and additional stuff over the years was Third Street. Again, at some point I'll e-mail him and ask him.

• 1 month later...

Anybody familiar with the San Antonio market?

On one of the KMOL clips on YT, a poster mentioned KMOL used "NBC Radio-TV Newspulse" in the '70s. I don't know much about that station, so I thought I would pass that along if somebody thinks it's credible and wants to submit it.

Anybody familiar with the San Antonio market?

On one of the KMOL clips on YT, a poster mentioned KMOL used "NBC Radio-TV Newspulse" in the '70s. I don't know much about that station, so I thought I would pass that along if somebody thinks it's credible and wants to submit it.

I'll pass. Anything S.A. pre-1979 is pretty hard to come by. WOAI has a rather extensive archive but hardly anybody there in the news department even knows it exists (I asked my sources about it). Creative Services might but don't bother asking them, they honestly don't care enough to look.

WOAI did use NewsCenter 4 as a newscast title but never used the Helvetica 4 that most NBC affiliates did, opting for an "open-4" design similar to WAPA and KTVX (but more similar to the KTVX version) used from 1975-1995.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting update today.

Anybody else heard the "WBNS 1994 News Theme" anywhere? I know WTOG used it for breaking news alerts when they were using "Pinnacle" by 615. However, I now don't believe it to be part of "Pinnacle", but I've always been curious as to where it came from since WBNS used it all the time in the 1993-1996 "24 Hour News Source" era.

Interesting update today.

Anybody else heard the "WBNS 1994 News Theme" anywhere? I know WTOG used it for breaking news alerts when they were using "Pinnacle" by 615. However, I now don't believe it to be part of "Pinnacle", but I've always been curious as to where it came from since WBNS used it all the time in the 1993-1996 "24 Hour News Source" era.

If that's the case, I don't understand why it wouldn't be part of Pinnacle. It's more likely that than both stations using the same cut of production music.

If that's the case, I don't understand why it wouldn't be part of Pinnacle. It's more likely that than both stations using the same cut of production music.

Well, I don't recall WBNS using any of the orchestral cuts of the "Pinnacle" package. It's kinda strange. Of course, I could be wrong since it's been two decades. I've been hoping for some clips from 1994/1995 from WBNS to see what the heck was going on. But they used that particular cut over and over for both opens and bumpers. I can't recall what the closes were.

• 3 weeks later...

That's my submission, from last month. My mother recognized MCTYW after listening to it and said she remembered hearing it in the 70's. I'm 95% certain it was WAVY, as they've been the station of choice in my family since...well, forever.

That's my submission, from last month. My mother recognized MCTYW after listening to it and said she remembered hearing it in the 70's. I'm 95% certain it was WAVY, as they've been the station of choice in my family since...well, forever.

Okay, thanks. Not sure where, but saw on some website where there was some sort of class reunion of a Hampton Roads school class of 1965 (or around then) mentioning WAVY allegedly burning most of their films on or around 1980

Interesting that an NBC affiliate used MCTYW. Several CBS affiliates used it, so I guess it shows what a popular theme it was.

• 3 weeks later...

"NewsSeries 2000 Plus" is no longer associated with "Stimulus" on the NMSA.

So, 'Stimulus' is pretty much the original and WLS' entry from 1992-2013 is now listed at 'WLS News Package'. It includes the main Series 1 cuts and the First News hybrid morning open. 'Stimulus' now features the 2007 cuts rejected by WLS and the 2013 version that was picked up. Having listened to the 'Stimulus' cuts on NMSA, I'm kinda disappointed that ABC7 never went with the '07 cuts, and are very limited in what they use now...though I still really like the open they're using now.

I do like that they broke it up, seeing as it is definitely two different packages now...

'News Series 2000 Plus': http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,62

'WLS News Package': http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,97

'Stimulus': http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1826 (Damn, the first two cuts in this are sexy.)

...And apparently 'News Series 2000' was updated: http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,61

So, 'Stimulus' is pretty much the original and WLS' entry from 1992-2013 is now listed at 'WLS News Package'. It includes the main Series 1 cuts and the First News hybrid morning open. 'Stimulus' now features the 2007 cuts rejected by WLS and the 2013 version that was picked up. Having listened to the 'Stimulus' cuts on NMSA, I'm kinda disappointed that ABC7 never went with the '07 cuts, and are very limited in what they use now...though I still really like the open they're using now.

I do like that they broke it up, seeing as it is definitely two different packages now...

'News Series 2000 Plus': http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,62

'WLS News Package': http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,97

'Stimulus': http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,1826 (Damn, the first two cuts in this are sexy.)

...And apparently 'News Series 2000' was updated: http://southernmedia-nmsa.com/#3,1,61

First cut in the Stimulus compilation should be the open TODAY. Love the 2nd cut too.. but the first one screams Chicago.

…too bad Gari renamed NS2K+ "Stimulus" around 2008. What's labeled as Stimulus is actually Stimulus "V.2" and what's labeled as NS2K+ is actually Stimulus "V.1" What's labeled as the WLS Theme is actually just part of Stimulus. NS2K+ is an obsolete name and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it posted on the NMSA.

I believe the name change to "Stimulus" occurred in 2009. Looking on Gari's site, they still offer the package under that name...it's an insta-dated name (though it is at least less clunky than "News Series 2000 Plus").

NS2000+, WLS, Stimulus.. It's really still all the same "package". Someone decided to just split it on what certain CD's were labeled.

I agree to an extent. However, don't really see it as the same package, but as the same signature. Let's face it, if we were grouping it by the signature, we'd have to include the 1983 'News Series 2000'.

Mr. NMSA apparently got the final confirmation to say that News 4 = All We Are, We Are for You (of course if you'd followed this I figured out the orphaned WTOK entry was this). There are also a bunch of new image campaigns in the NMSA including the rural, country and city jingles from that package for WISC.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived