WFMY New graphics

nhmediaguy

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks a little blocky and bland, but we'll have to see about the rest of the package. Also, lets hope that they can drop their "Broken Fax Machine" (-TMBtD/Alain Hernandez) music package for something a little less 2045.

Your wish will come true. New music and graphics will be on tonight @ 5 on WTSP.

Looking at the new graphics now on http://www.wtsp.com. Upon close observation, these have a USA Today-esque look to them (right down to the color coding of each segment) which, ironically, is a Gannett property as well.

The new music has a few nice cuts to it. Better than the old music to say the least.

Jesus. Talk about a TOTAL shift in look!

"Now we made these changes following feedback from you..." do you mean all of the hate and criticism Gannett has gotten since they introduced the graphics over 4 years ago?

While I'm happy for the toned down, simpler look, I feel as if now they may have toned it down TOO much, almost like they were saying "Here. You complained about your last package and wanted something simpler, so here you go."

I like those L3s and I like the rather obvious tie-in with the USA Today coloring, though it would have been nice if they coordinated with typefaces as well (USA Today uses a custom variant of Futura).

I'm also not surprised this is the look that they're going towards. For quite some time now, KUSA has been broadcasting in 16:9 SD and has recently been using flat, fit-to-size L3s for the weekend opens.

I'll keep an eye out on KUSA, but knowing Gannett, it seems like they prefer rolling out a new look on podunk stations first before it makes its way to the flagship.

Guest NewsHound

That "new music" sounds like production music. I think I liked the "broken fax machine" better.

As far as the look, I really like it. Much improved. Definitely connecting the new USA Today look on the broadcast properties, and thats a very bold move.

I'm watching WFMY's 11pm newscast online at the moment. The lead was about Obama's remarks on gun violence, they ran a background on semi-/automatic weapons, the anchor emphasized starting a discussion about the gun control debate. They also reviewed when to stop for a school bus after a story about a child hit and killed after getting off the bus.

Can anyone from the Triad fill me in... is this typical of the "News 2.0" format? It's been around for a while but haven't seen much of it. It's very different.

That "new music" sounds like production music. I think I liked the "broken fax machine" better.

As far as the look, I really like it. Much improved. Definitely connecting the new USA Today look on the broadcast properties, and thats a very bold move.

Either that or Enforcer...

But still, their use of minimalism is quite unique. At least they pull off the "flat" look better than even CBC does (the black is much more pleasing on the eyes than CBC's white blocks)

Or, I guess Gannett finally upgraded to Windows 8.

I definitely like the new graphics. Smooth, simple and they put a lot more information into the the L3s than the last package did. And it was genius for Gannet to color-code the types of news (ie NEWS, WEATHER, BREAKING, OPINION, ECT.) AND add a news ticker, just like the cable news networks. I think they might just be the future of local news graphics...well after WPVI's.

Watching WTSP's noon news on their website. The graphics are OK and the lower thirds remind me of HLN. But I agree with the USA Today coloring scheme. The new theme does sound like production music (and yes, I will miss the old theme).

not to mention that every time I see those multicolored lines of light moving about my first instinct is to think that it's an NBC station opening...

Considering that many of Gannett's stations are NBC affils (including KARE, KUSA, WBIR, WGRZ and onetime NBC O&O WKYC), it actually is an open that could be on par with the NBC O&Os.

But I am seriously impressed. The overall layout is visually pleasing and 1000% less clunky. Hopefully WKYC will continue to use the alternate cuts of Propulsion (primarily used for weekday evening and weekend evening newscasts, very well at the discretion of primary anchor Russ Mitchell) but even this standard production music is a mammoth upgrade over Rampage's utter disaster of a theme.

Kudos to G3 for finally getting it right.

I don't know if the change from Gannett music is universal. WFMY's weather bumper still uses a cut from it. If it's gone, I WILL miss it - I think it's a very distinctive music package and one of the very, very few that has managed to stick in my head in a positive way. Maybe I'm wired weird, maybe I'm sick of Gari's synthesizers, maybe it's because this doesn't sound like local news music in the least, but I really like that package.

As far as WTSP's remarks about "feedback about our graphics", I'm sure that IS a response to constant complaints - but not our consistent complaints.

Here is a screenshot of a Gannett-owned station with the old setup:

GannettOld.png

That is a LOT of information in a LOT of places. I remember it being worse than this, actually, but I would imagine a viewer would feel extremely overwhelmed. What do you pay attention to? In this respect the infobar is a hell of a lot cleaner and easier on the eyes.

I think I'm mixed on the new graphics. They are, on the face of it, very plain, although I think the new open and some of the segment openers are fantastic. It's not a knock against it, though. Groups and designers were trying so hard for flash and flair that they sacrificed readability. I think CNN and the CBS O&Os, amongst others, showed that you can have a more informational lower third that is still attractive, and there is a definite trend towards simpler, more discernible graphics. The infobar is clearly what G3 focused on, and they've done a good job with it. Borrowing the color coding from USA Today and making it not just a part of the look, but a visual indicator of what type of story it is - I think that is a great idea.

I think the rest of the graphics suffer a bit in comparison - those weather graphics are way too plain - but it's obvious the focus isn't on making it flashy, but providing information. Which is, well, what news graphics are supposed to be doing.

No changes yet at the Atlanta duopoly.

I'm also mixed on the new look. While I love the new opens, I think that the L3's are just a little too simple. The color-coding is nice though, but unless they explain the meaning behind it at all stations (WTSP did a good job,) the average viewer won't know or likely care. The weather graphics are actually nice (I'm still hoping WXIA will drop the WIZ). I'll withhold full judgement until WXIA/WATL gets the look on air here.

Honestly though, Gannett should have at least given stations latitude over music. The new music sounds adequate, but it does sound a bit like production music; no notable signature or note. Gannett should at least let the stations decide on whether to use the new music, use the current Rampage package, or choose a different package (I loved it when we had Alive).

Archived