Spirit (of Akron)

news89

Many of you already know the "Spirit (of Texas)" theme was created for WFAA Dallas back in 1984. I should know that WNIR 100.1 FM in Kent/Akron is using it and has been using for well over 20 years. If you didn't hear this jingle on WNIR wouldn't be the same. Its like WPVI with "Move Closer to your World". or WJZ "Chorma Cues". WBMA "NewsoneV1" and list goes on. If ain't broke don't fix it.

The Talk of Akron

WNIR is probably the most unique out of all the unique radio stations on Planet Earth. But I never knew that their main jingle was based out of a TV jingle package. And they play it practically every hour (they are live/local from 6am-11pm daily and 6am-10pm on weekends).

Oddly enough, WTVN-TV in Columbus used the same package, dubbed the Spirit of Ohio. It was scrapped after Taft sold the station, and became WSYX:

KOA in Denver used the same theme after Belo purchased the station (when KOA-TV became KCNC-TV). I remember driving to Dallas listening to KOA at night (it's a clear channel station - though it wasn't a "Clear Channel" station at that point...), and they played a similar theme (Come on and list to The Spirit of Denver on K - O - A...).

Weirdest I've heard was Gari's "Turn to News" image package being used for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Your at the heart of it; we're a part of it - Read it in the Fort Worth Star Tel-e-gram) (Star Telegram was owned by Cap Cities/ABC at the time and was sold after Disney bought them (my sister-in-law worked for the ST and as a "parting gift" from DIsney got a pair of tickets to a Disney Theme park.

J

Archived