Barrington Broadcasting for sale? Nexstar and Sinclair included as buyers

tyrannical bastard

As if the Newport acquisition wasn't enough...both companies are said to be in the running to buy Barrington.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/63834/sinclair-nexstar-in-running-for-barrington

The stations up for sale include...

67. Flint-Saginaw, Mich.: WEYI (NBC), WBSF (CW)

76. Toledo, Ohio: WNWO (NBC)

77. Columbia, S.C.: WACH (Fox)

84. Syracuse, N.Y.: WSTM (NBC, D2, CW), JSA of WTVH (CBS), owned by Granite

86. Harlingen-Brownsville-McAllen, Texas: KGBT (CBS)

89. Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.: KXRM, (Fox, D2, CW)

103. Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.: WPDE (ABC), LMA of WWMB (CW), owned by Sagamore Hill

116. Peoria-Bloomington, Ill: WHOI (ABC, D2, CW) in JSA to Granite’s WEEK (NBC)

119. Traverse City-Cadillac, Mich.: WBPN and satellite WTOM (NBC, D2, ABC), shared services agreement covering WGTU and satellite WGTQ (ABC, D2, NBC), which are owned by Tucker Broadcasting

130. Amarillo, Texas: KVII and satellite KVIH (ABC, D2, CW)

138. Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.: KRCG (CBS)

150. Albany, Ga.: – KFXL (Fox)

171. Quincy, Ill.-Hannibal, Mo.-Keokuk, Iowa: KHQA (CBS, D2, ABC)

180. Marquette, Mich.: WLUC (NBC, D2, Fox)

200. Ottumwa, Iowa-Kirksville, Mo.: KTVO (ABC, D2, CBS)

In places like Syracuse, if Nexstar bought WSTM and WTVH, they would control the top 3 stations, with their pending acquisition of WSYR from Newport. If Sinclair bought them, it would be a quad-ropoly with the MyNetwork and FOX stations. It may even force Granite to separate themselves from WSTM and restart a separate operation for WTVH.

In Marquette, if Nexstar gets WLUC, they can give WJMN a local presence instead of having it run out of Green Bay. Mission Broadcasting would have to come in play.

Same goes for Traverse City/Cadillac, Nexstar keeps WPBN/WTOM and spins WGTU/WGTU to Mission.

Flint could have a triopoly on their hands, and could give WEYI the chance to program news on WSMH. Deerfield/Manhan and even Cunningham would have to step in and own the stations.

Nexstar would love these stations because of their CrappyLocalWebSite.com approach, they have web addresses that are already up and running.

Sinclair may disagree and give them actual TV websites.

Guest NewsHound

Why!!! WHY!!! WHY!!!

To the people at Sincrap and Nexstar, PLEASE GIVE UP! Stop ACQUIRING and start working on your own slew of CRAP.

I rather see LIN Media, Raycom, or even Local TV LLC to get these stations than Sinclair and Nexstar.

I don't see Raycom stepping in as some of the stations on that list were formerly owned by them (prior to their purchase of the Liberty Corp stations).

As if the Newport acquisition wasn't enough...both companies are said to be in the running to buy Barrington.

http://www.tvnewsche...-for-barrington

The stations up for sale include...

67. Flint-Saginaw, Mich.: WEYI (NBC), WBSF (CW)

76. Toledo, Ohio: WNWO (NBC)

77. Columbia, S.C.: WACH (Fox)

84. Syracuse, N.Y.: WSTM (NBC, D2, CW), JSA of WTVH (CBS), owned by Granite

86. Harlingen-Brownsville-McAllen, Texas: KGBT (CBS)

89. Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.: KXRM, (Fox, D2, CW)

103. Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.: WPDE (ABC), LMA of WWMB (CW), owned by Sagamore Hill

116. Peoria-Bloomington, Ill: WHOI (ABC, D2, CW) in JSA to Granite’s WEEK (NBC)

119. Traverse City-Cadillac, Mich.: WBPN and satellite WTOM (NBC, D2, ABC), shared services agreement covering WGTU and satellite WGTQ (ABC, D2, NBC), which are owned by Tucker Broadcasting

130. Amarillo, Texas: KVII and satellite KVIH (ABC, D2, CW)

138. Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.: KRCG (CBS)

150. Albany, Ga.: – KFXL (Fox)

171. Quincy, Ill.-Hannibal, Mo.-Keokuk, Iowa: KHQA (CBS, D2, ABC)

180. Marquette, Mich.: WLUC (NBC, D2, Fox)

200. Ottumwa, Iowa-Kirksville, Mo.: KTVO (ABC, D2, CBS)

In places like Syracuse, if Nexstar bought WSTM and WTVH, they would control the top 3 stations, with their pending acquisition of WSYR from Newport. If Sinclair bought them, it would be a quad-ropoly with the MyNetwork and FOX stations. It may even force Granite to separate themselves from WSTM and restart a separate operation for WTVH.

In Marquette, if Nexstar gets WLUC, they can give WJMN a local presence instead of having it run out of Green Bay. Mission Broadcasting would have to come in play.

Same goes for Traverse City/Cadillac, Nexstar keeps WPBN/WTOM and spins WGTU/WGTU to Mission.

Flint could have a triopoly on their hands, and could give WEYI the chance to program news on WSMH. Deerfield/Manhan and even Cunningham would have to step in and own the stations.

Nexstar would love these stations because of their CrappyLocalWebSite.com approach, they have web addresses that are already up and running.

Sinclair may disagree and give them actual TV websites.

When will those greedy people over at Sinclair and Nexstar ever learn??? They can't snatch up every station and not let the other station groups have their share. It is time to put an end to Sinclair and Nexstar's buying spree before they end up being another version of Young Broadcasting's bankruptcy charade.

I smell a TV version of 'Clear Channel Radio' acquisitions several years ago. This was when FCC started de-regulating to allow CC to acquire nearly 2,000 radio stations and look what happened a few years later, they started selling left & right including its television arm.

But all y'all right. They figure they don't own the top 10 markets, they can acquire stations left and right and still be under that 39% ownership cap. FCC should put on a cap on the amount of stations a person can own, even if all the smaller stations they're grabbing are under the cap.

With that said I would love to see a couple of stations be acquired by someone else other than Nexstar or Sinclair.

KVII/KVIH: News-Press & Gazette. You'd been on a buying spree in Columbia and Santa Barbara. Reunite KVII with KVIA again and make it happen. Nexstar already have KAMR/KCIT.

KGBT: London Broadcasting. Terry, you have an opportunity to get another one here! Grab it quick before those greedy bastards get it.

KHQA/KTVO: Let another unknown company, an up and coming firm that teaches a slew of new folks to learn about future of broadcasting like Byrne or Tamer. Or Schurz of South Bend. They don't have much.

WEEK/WHOI: I wished Quincy (Quincy Newspapers) can acquire WEEK and Granite can acquire WHOI.

WPDE: I know Gray have alot of stations but why not this company can continue maintaining a 'status quo' for 15. Morris (owner of WWAY, north or them) don't have alot, they can scrape some chump change. Or LIN (owner of WJCL/WTGS, south of them).

Now the Columbia market will also be interesting because not only we have WACH FOX 57, but Roberts Broadcasting looks like their days are numbered. So whoever grabs WACH, that same one could grab WZRB, under an aid of a 'shell' because Columbia has fewer than eight stations in the market.

Central New York will have a very tough time digesting this. Nexstar is poised to get WSYR, once the sale consummates in days. I wished Meredith have their willing to buy back its first television station a start a fresh new news operation. But I know that will never happen.

Nexstar can easily acquire the two Michigan market clusters in Traverse City & Marquette and that little Toledo station. Sinclair obviously not going to give up WSMH because of that agreement, so that CW station could be the puppet for one of the shells.

Now I'd read an article that Nexstar is going to sell some of its existing stations. But it doesn't sounds like they're selling shit when they keeping buying left and right. And oh yeah I almost forgot to mention. That Little Rock situation, Nexstar, I mean Mission had to respond to an opposition a person wrote in a e-mail to the FCC a couple of months ago. That's why the FCC hasn't acted on it yet.

I think 2012 will be marked as the year of 'Television Station Transactions'. I've never seen stations have been bought out by other companies at a higher rate in this 15 months span, and its not over yet. It doesn't make any sense that some companies or the suits & the higher ups at these companies are completely greedy bastards. All they care about is making money of having many stations, instead of investing into those stations. Quantity over Quality will lose every time. Nexstar just now invested into its existing stations after lagging way behind started doing the proper infrastucture for its stations (and they're still lagging). But let both clubs have their fun because once the FCC start doing those auctions, everything will hit the fan.

If I can have only one wish, I ask for the FCC to block Sinclair and Nexstar from buying the stations, ASAP!

And in my opinion; I know that's out of the question, but I would love to see either London Broadcasting or Belo buy KVII/Amarillo.

I am so glad that WPDE is getting a new parent company. I thought that Barrington didn't justify them or well represent them in a changing market. They had the oldest set, graphic package when WBTW had at least 4 between 1996-2010. WBTW and WMBF just redid their graphics packages and WPDE basically had the same look with a few upgrades from their 2006-2010 graphic package. I really want LIN, Hearst, Gannett or Local tv to take over. WPDE are the only ones without a weekend morning newscast and an early evening newscast (i.e. 4 or 5 p.m.), and are always releasing their morning/weekend anchors when their contract is up which is every 3 years. They do however keep their evening anchors who been their since 1996 with the exception of the sports anchor (2000) and the male co-anchor (2009). I'm really do hope that whoever picks them really do an overhaul but, they do have the best content even beating market leader WBTW stories lately. I have seen WACH in Columbia and they have done a lot more to their station but they still need a little work also. It is just like Barrington heard my cry when I was talking about this to some colleagues of mines earlier this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I got word from a barrington station that nexstar may get majority of the stations and another company may get the others that are left over. Still in negotiations though.

Whoever owns the Barrington stations, infrastructure needs to be the top priority. Only one Barrington-owned station is in HD (WACH Fox 57), nine others stations are widescreen. But when you see almost all of the Gray & Raycom stations operating in HD, this is really pitiful.

Whoever owns the Barrington stations, infrastructure needs to be the top priority. Only one Barrington-owned station is in HD (WACH Fox 57), nine others stations are widescreen. But when you see almost all of the Gray & Raycom stations operating in HD, this is really pitiful.

I did not know that WACH in Columbia was the only one in HD. That's a shame. I understand that all station HD but in markets where others stations are, then they should try to make that a goal. WPDE is a good example because WMBF is the only one in HD which is owned by Raycom. WBTW (Media General) is in SD widescreen and just got new graphic so Ithink WPDE should go HD to do it before WBTW so they can have that up on the powerhouse station in Florence/Myrtle Beach market. I really can't wait till someone acquire them and re haul the station a little.

Archived