BREAKING: Renda Leaving WFLD for Detroit

24994J

Via TVSpy:

Breaking: After three years as general manager of WFLD in Chicago, Mike Renda is jumping to another Fox O&O. Effective January 7, Renda will be the VP-GM at WJBK in Detroit.

Renda and Fox Television Stations CEO Jack Abernethy are announcing the news to the WJBK newsroom at 9:30amET. The pair are expected to travel to Chicago later today to announce who will succeed Renda at WFLD.

“I feel honored to have the opportunity to lead the #1 station in Detroit, known for its edgy, unconventional and hard-hitting news product,” Renda said in a statement. “I look forward to continuing the station’s legacy of serving Detroit.”

Prior to working at WFLD, Renda spent two years as the VP-GM of WTXF, the Fox O&o in Philadelphia. He has also been VP-GM of WJW in Cleveland, which was owned by Fox when he worked there.

“Mike has proven his great leadership abilities at three FOX-owned stations over a fifteen-year tenure,” Abernethy said in a statement. “Regardless of the roles he’s held, he always inspires his team to be better, work smarter and think differently. There is no person better qualified to take charge of our premier Detroit station than him.”

I'm happy for WFLD, but my condolences go out to the employees and viewers of WJBK.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/fox-general-manager-mike-renda-moves-from-chicago-to-detroit_b69829

“Mike has proven his great leadership abilities at three FOX-owned stations over a fifteen-year tenure,” Abernethy said in a statement. “Regardless of the roles he’s held, he always inspires his team to be better, work smarter and think differently. There is no person better qualified to take charge of our premier Detroit station than him.”

I know FOX News is always criticized for "half-truths" and accused of making blatant lies, but this one takes the cake, folks.

Mike Renda managed WJW Cleveland for the majority of its' tenure as a Fox O&O. For the most part he let the news department do its' thing, and rarely forced any major changes at the station. Should be noted that WJW, outside of a two-year span following the New World/Fox affiliation-pact-turned-wholesale-merger, has long been the market leader.

Probably the only negative thing that occurred at WJW during his tenure was more of an ownership issue than anything on his part. Fox basically hung the long-running horror host duo "Big Chuck" Schodowski and "Lil' John" Rinaldi out to dry by having them screen more traditional movie fare, and pushing the start time to 12:30 a.m. Sunday morning (following Fox's crappy Saturday night fare). But Renda and current GM Greg Easterly kept the show on as long as possible until both hosts retired in 2007 (and Easterly somewhat revived it last year).

Why do I get this feeling a big "Freddy Kruegering" will be a coming to FOX2 WJBK with some big talent being the first victims???

That's a tough one. We all know this guy isn't smart, so he'll no doubt want to tamper with things unnecessarily. Hopefully, the end result(s) of which won't be too detrimental overall to WJBK.

Archived