Fox O&Os Launch New Look - Pics!

Jess

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

© 2012 All Rights Reserved, All Rights Reserved?

Either they REALLY reserve all their rights.. or "All Rights Reserved" is among the oddest company names I've ever heard.

Obviously, this was a case of someone at the graphics hub failing a spot check. :p Hopefully, someone caught this mistake and corrected to the company tag to "Fox Television Stations, Inc."

© 2012 All Rights Reserved, All Rights Reserved?

Either they REALLY reserve all their rights.. or "All Rights Reserved" is among the oddest company names I've ever heard.

Wait! That's an oxymoron. If it is All Rights Reserved, then it should be ® All Rights Reserved, All Rights Reserved. You can't copyright All Rights Reserved!

Here's WHBQ's (Memphis) version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k53eoP4BYw

Seeing these graphic in action I realize, these graphics look worse than their old package. The texture looks cartoony. The FOX (#) News logo used to have some depth with the searchlights 'searching' within the box.

Packagewise, WBRC's late 2011 graphics looked good. I would have liked to see FOX gone in this direction. Maybe an unstacked logo is necessary, but the package looks good.

Credit to Tayloroux

WFXT's (Boston) version of the new graphics.

I think the L3s would look better if the top part had a red background instead of nearly white.

Also, the font used reminds me of WHDH... and not in a good way.

Having seen WAGA's use of the graphics, here's my two cents:

• Open: I've noticed that WAGA has a thing for short opens; with the exception of Good Day Atlanta and News Edge, the opens usually last for about 4 seconds. The version used is similar to WFXT's, and I like that version much better than the KTTV/WTVT version.

• L3's/OTS UTS: The OTS's, although a bit bulky, flowed a bit better than the new "UTS"; fortunately, FOX 5 doesn't use them much at all. When they do though, the UTS usually takes a few seconds to fade out. I think that they should just drop the UTS. Another note...WAGA does use permanent L3's at all times (well, except for I-Team segments, weather, and traffic) and reporter/anchor names are in the little white subtitle bar; otherwise, the L3's are just fine (if a little bulky).

• Fullscreen graphics: Major improvement over the last ones, IMO.

• Music: WAGA does use the newer cuts in their opens, teases and closes. It's a nice break from the old 2005 cuts.

Overall, it's a good refresh, but I would not call it a significant improvement. In some ways, the old look was much better; in others, this look is better. I was also hoping that a set refresh would come along; the new look and the set don't go together well.

Edit: I was surfing YouTube, and I found these old opens from WTVT. Why couldn't the O&O group just use these opens and rejoins instead?

Not sure when this happened but I noticed tonight that WNYW is using a "LIVE" bug that might be somewhat larger and definitely uses very bold text.

Not just WNYW, I've noticed this on KTTV as well, the "LIVE" bug was apparently tweaked on all the Fox O&Os earlier this week.

Not sure when this happened but I noticed tonight that WNYW is using a "LIVE" bug that might be somewhat larger and definitely uses very bold text.

KDFW is also using the larger LIVE bug in Impact font.

I don't know how I feel about these graphics updates. I saw WAGA's new look last week prior to me returning home for the holidays and was like "hmmm". I think like SamUnreel said, they could have taken some serious cues from former O&O sister station, WBRC and its hybridized Raycom/FOX O&O look. I do like the return of the horizontal logo to the O&O's on-air appearance. WBRC has been using the "horizontal 'FOX6'" logo since 2009, but not really much over-the-air. I would recommend WBRC do the same as its former O&O sisters with the logo, but graphics-wise the O&O new look is so-so at best. It's like Fox Television Stations division management decided to just say "aww, f**k it, we'll do whatever with these new graphics because these people know we are owned by the network".

I don't know how I feel about these graphics updates. I saw WAGA's new look last week prior to me returning home for the holidays and was like "hmmm". I think like SamUnreel said, they could have taken some serious cues from former O&O sister station, WBRC and its hybridized Raycom/FOX O&O look. I do like the return of the horizontal logo to the O&O's on-air appearance. WBRC has been using the "horizontal 'FOX6'" logo since 2009, but not really much over-the-air. I would recommend WBRC do the same as its former O&O sisters with the logo, but graphics-wise the O&O new look is so-so at best. It's like Fox Television Stations division management decided to just say "aww, f**k it, we'll do whatever with these new graphics because these people know we are owned by the network".

Warning! The following is oratorically inflammatory. Viewer discretion is advised!

Don't quote me on this. He was the one who said it...

Archived