Fox O&Os Launch New Look - Pics!

Jess

I didn't mind them at first, but after looking at all the videos provided, I have come to the conclusion that these graphics suck. I like the old ones much more. In fact, the only part I like more in the new graphics are the fullscreen backgrounds.

And are there any stations not using the blue/gold package? (not that they would be any better)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't like the new "under-the-shoulder" graphics the Fox O&Os are using. To me, they look too large and take up a lot of space on screen, especially during the anchor shots. They should either make the UTS smaller, or ditch them altogether.

:rant:

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by WFL- wait, FOX32's use of the graphics. The whole time/temp bug has really been cleaned up and anything in the new package is better than the in-house garbage used in the last few years. They've also been rather traditional and conservative with the overall appearance; the theme works well and the L3's are not overused. I watched parts of LA, NY, Philly and Tampa's broadcasts today, and I've been most impressed with WFLD. I'm probably being a little generous, but I (like many others) were expecting the worst.

Oh, and they are still doing a talent rejoin...and it's not half bad. It's all-new with the graphics, but is pretty well-done. Maybe someone can get some video up?

Wow, someone actually beat me to posting my own video. o_O

Of the O&Os, I think WTXF did a better job graphically than most other stations. A lot of their wipes and stingers were done in house - and at least WNYW has decided to adapt some of them. Very little of the old look remains. They did keep their existing weather graphics, but they're not that old and as you can see they fit with the look.

There's a lot more wrong with the station than the graphics. Yes, they really did air a massively long interview with Dr. Oz. Yes, they did air no less than three segments regurgitating Good Day. At times it borders on self-parody.

Their other newscasts are better, if only slightly, but the 5pm is atrocious. It's not fluff-filled so much as it is gasping to stretch as much time with as little material as possible.

I'd give the talent a break on that one.. Much of them have been spending the past couple days and all morning repeating "FOX 32 News" to themselves. I don't know how much more rehearsals they could have needed. It's just something they say out of habit and it becomes second nature like driving. Just like people who answer phones for a living and have to say a specific line everytime they answer the phone will have this same problem the first day or 2 of a new line given to them to say and it's on paper in front of their face. Even if "FOX 32 News" is shown on the prompter, it's bound that some will still say "FOX Chicago News" out of habit. For this switch, talent is doing fine in the transition.. It's actually not turning out as messy as it was when the switch was from "FOX News Chicago" to "FOX Chicago News" for a short time a few years back and then again to "FOX News Chicago" only to switch back to "FOX Chicago News" a couple years ago. Just like I've heard so many radio talent that switch to a new station still catch themselves saying their old station's dial, call letters, name etc right after they go to the new station.

This. When WCAU went from "News 10" to "NBC 10 News", the anchors kept saying the old name for the better part of a year.

Station rebrands - especially when the name is changing - take a lot of time to implement. When WTXF readded their channel number, they were airing promos with the new logo at least a week prior, and were using the new theme and some of the new elements prior to that.

Not a fan of the wiping on the bug but I guess it's like when the spotlights went up and down or on and off on the old bug..

Sadly, I think that's SUPPOSED to be the effect. Yeah. It doesn't come across very well.

I don't think any of the stations have changed their weather graphics, they all seem to be using the same ones they used before. Really peculiar. It's kind of like what KFOR does here in OKC, they've had pretty much the same templates for most of the forecast graphics since the mid-1990s, but the rest of the graphics have been overhauled a few times since then.

A few of the stations have. KTTV moved to the new stuff. I think Phoenix adapted some of it and at least a couple other stations. WTXF's weather graphics looked completely different from the main graphics to begin with, and it's not that old, so I'm not surprised it's kept. (Plus it does fit with the new look.)

same here in NY...actually I didn't see a twitter handle anywhere in the graphics for the reporters on tonight..

Rightly, it seems that everyone is implementing it in different ways. I think the stations were supposed to have the reporter's name and the twitter handle rotating between each other. Obviously that's a terrible idea. WTXF has just gone with the "flash the twitter" in the white bar, and even then their system is choking on it fairly badly.

Really like the horizontal bug. Really don't like the animated box at the bottom. On another note, does WTXF do their evening shows from the streetside studio now?

Yes. Almost all of their output comes from Studio 29. They've done that for at least a year or two. They only use the upstairs studio for their 10pm news, and since their newscasts are video and footage driven, you really barely see it.

This morning on WNYW when the wipe goes over the bug it just gets darker.. It doesn't go away completely like it did yesterday.. SCRATCH THAT now it goes away like it did yesterday.. The scroll bar is the same here.. Anyone get a new scroll bar?

KDFW doesn't use the new gold graphics on Good Day. They use the blue graphics and have retained their customized graphics from the 2008 look.

Actually, I was right after all. At 6pm, a new music package debuted but it still had the traditional Fox O&O chime at the end.

It's the same FOX O&O music package from the same composer (OSI). They are just using different cuts (tracks) from the package. They are using cuts from the newer release updates to the package. It's not a new music package.

Here's WNYW from the 10pm newscast,

abfQpA3y.jpg

So where the heck is the bug? Oh wait, its there, but we can not see it!

I'm so glad KDVR is not a Fox O&O anymore. These graphics seem a little to big for local FOX stations. I know Murdoch wants them to fall inline with FOX News Channel, which has every right to be flashy, but local stations should fall more inline with the FOX network. I could see a lot better local station package designed with that in mind, than this. That said, I do think the L3s are quite a bit better than their older version (Are we kidding ourselves by calling this package brand new? Yes. Is this more of a version 3.0? Yes).

So where the heck is the bug? Oh wait, its there, but we can not see it!

WTXF debut their new graphics.

Now that I think about it, the disappear/reappear effect of the bug was probably intended to resemble a searchlight rolling back and forth, you just have to look closely to see it since the "searchlight"'s opacity when the effect reaches the translucent stage makes it hard to notice.

If you're in a market where there's a Fox O&O and a CBS O&O... don't switch between them. Your eyes will take a moment to adjust to there being little to no visual clutter on the screen.

Honestly, I do not get why the CBS O&O look gets so much hatred. The sheer bulkiness of Fox's new l3s make you appreciate the absolute clarity of the CBS lower thirds. Segment graphics flow easily into the graphical setup, and aren't just clunky additions. Their graphics don't try to dominate the screen as much as some of the other packages (and yes, I'm including Artworks and Look F in that group). KYW's implementation is far from good, and some of the newer segment opens from NYC are tacky, but overall I've actually appreciated those graphics more and more over the last two years. I couldn't say the same for KYW's previous set of graphics, and I'm sure I'm going to get as irritated with the new Fox O&O look as I got irritated with the former Fox O&O look.

Okay, back to discussing Fox.

KSAZ did debut updated weather graphics including new layouts for the full screen graphics. They match the package in most ways but are definitely locally generated. It's also not promoting Twitter in the white bar.

That said, 10 needs a graphics overhaul. Still. They haven't looked REALLY good since the late 1990s.

KSAZ did debut updated weather graphics including new layouts for the full screen graphics. They match the package in most ways but are definitely locally generated. It's also not promoting Twitter in the white bar.

That said, 10 needs a graphics overhaul. Still. They haven't looked REALLY good since the late 1990s.

So did KTBC.

7day.jpg

Archived