Fox O&Os Launch New Look - Pics!

Jess

I should ask, are all the Fox-owned stations on the same graphics system? It's interesting that they would all transition to the new package on the same date, considering that other station groups that use standardized graphics typically switch to a new package over the course of weeks or months (like Hearst and NBC recently).

FOX uses a Chyron Axis hub system based in Tampa.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should ask, are all the Fox-owned stations on the same graphics system? It's interesting that they would all transition to the new package on the same date, considering that other station groups that use standardized graphics typically switch to a new package over the course of weeks or months (like Hearst and NBC recently).

As noted above, they're on Chyron Axis.

And as for the simultaneous one-day switch, I suspect there's a reason that NBC, with all of its massive infrastructure and company-wide graphics hub, only did it once.

and we're coming up on the 5pm ET wave, which means it's going to be our turn. They just ran the tease and... ohboy. I'm preparing for some eyehurt. >.

Hmmmm. There seems to be quite a bit of alterations on the WTXF version of the package.

The permanent lower third? This is a bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD IDEA. It's getting in the way of footage - it just obscured someone's mouth.

Also, five minutes in and the graphics are more or less failing. So are the mics, the video, the journalism...

I actually like the graphics.. however the "LIVE" bug is a bit too small.

Also, WTVT has a different package of music. The music that they've been using since October 2010 on their 10pm newscasts

has been expanded down to use on all newscasts.. however their transitions (such as Breaking News, Developing Story, etc) still continue to use the 2006 Fox O&O music. And WTVT's weather graphics remain unchanged as well.

Hmmmm. There seems to be quite a bit of alterations on the WTXF version of the package.

The permanent lower third? This is a bad, bad, bad, bad, BAD IDEA. It's getting in the way of footage - it just obscured someone's mouth.

Not all of the stations are using lower thirds onscreen all the time -- but it seems to be only for very brief periods usually. WJBK is the only one (at least, among the East Coast O&Os) using a cut-off version of the new blue searchlight L3 background when the ID/time/temp bug is seen by itself. Others, like WNYW, WOFL and WTTG, have no background when using just the bug. I did notice that WTXF's bug is placed farther to the left (outside of the 4:3 safe area) compared to the other stations.

Another user mentioned the under-the-shoulders, they do look kind of large and bulky when they are seen on the L3s. I've been watching some of WPVI's news online since Sandy hit, and I think that the box design that WPVI uses at various points in their newscasts on their L3s (which I know doesn't function exactly like the Fox O&O's new UTS') would work much better as a under-the-shoulder than what the Fox O&Os are now using. But that's just me.

Add WAGA to the list of stations (five total) that launched at 5pm/ET. Next up at 6pm, (and I was looking at their stream now as I type while they were going in and out of the picture showing the new lower thirds) KRIV, WFXT, KMSP & KTBC. I think this is the first time that I'd witnessed an entire station group implementing new graphics on the same day in the history of television.

WNYW has switched to the new graphics, they're still using some of the older graphics for the weather

I don't think any of the stations have changed their weather graphics, they all seem to be using the same ones they used before. Really peculiar. It's kind of like what KFOR does here in OKC, they've had pretty much the same templates for most of the forecast graphics since the mid-1990s, but the rest of the graphics have been overhauled a few times since then.

Also, WTVT has a different package of music. The music that they've been using since October 2010 on their 10pm newscasts

has been expanded down to use on all newscasts..

That music is still from the FOX O&O Music package. Those are just cuts from some of their newer package update releases.

has been expanded down to use on all newscasts.. however their transitions (such as Breaking News, Developing Story, etc) still continue to use the 2006 Fox O&O music. And WTVT's weather graphics remain unchanged as well.

That music is still from the FOX O&O Music package. Those are just cuts from some of their newer package update releases.

WFLD also used those newer cuts prior to adopting the new look, the graphics they had for opens and bumpers prior to today apparently were based on WTVT's now-former look.

I'm not a fan of the new look. It looks so generic. Nothing about it says "Fox" to me.

Why does the logo and website on the bug have to keep fading away and then back? Are they still afraid of having their logo getting burned on old plasma screens?

The smaller logo looks nice and makes it seem like the rest of the look will be smaller but that's definitely not the case. Except for the "live" bug... What's up with that?

When they put an anchor's name on the lower-third and no second line of text, the font size is ridiculously huge.

The lower thirds and bug seem so high up... and I thought the CBS O&O look was too far up. (I know there's room for the ticker in the morning, but still.)

WNYW still used a lot of old graphics. They played the "The most powerful name in local news" rejoin and the tipline/website rejoin, which both use the "old" (or maybe it's not old, as you've been saying above) logo and the old monitor background look. They also used the old open for sports with the monitors in the background. Looks really sloppy to see this old stuff end up online. And of course, as previously mentioned, the weather graphics have not changed.

I missed WNYW's open but did see a new "Fox 5 News" logo animation on a newsroom monitor not far from the "old" logo.

I really wish they'd have gone with something that included a bit more design in it and maybe incorporated the angles of the X in the Fox logo like some of the network's promos do. And maybe smaller graphics would've been nice, too.

Actually, I was right after all. At 6pm, a new music package debuted but it still had the traditional Fox O&O chime at the end.

I recorded the intro for 6pm here

KRIV switched with the 5pm news.

Unlike LA (and perhaps some of the others) we're not using the sliver to display reporter name and twitter handle. Management here felt it was too small.

same here in NY...actually I didn't see a twitter handle anywhere in the graphics for the reporters on tonight..

Actually, I was right after all. At 6pm, a new music package debuted but it still had the traditional Fox O&O chime at the end.

I recorded the intro for 6pm here

It's not a new package. That music cut was used at WFLD and WHBQ for some time during the last two years.

On a full screen graphic, KSAZ removed the L3. Not sure if the music has changed. KSAZ has used two news music packages for the past two graphics packages, but I'm definitely not recognizing some of the tease music or the talent open music. It's nothing I've ever heard on 10 before.

That said, I do not like the direction the Fox O&O graphics have taken — they are bulky, flashy, and not refined like the Scripps and NBC stuff we've seen that looks oh-so-good.

On a full screen graphic, KSAZ removed the L3. Not sure if the music has changed. KSAZ has used two news music packages for the past two graphics packages, but I'm definitely not recognizing some of the tease music or the talent open music. It's nothing I've ever heard on 10 before.

That said, I do not like the direction the Fox O&O graphics have taken — they are bulky, flashy, and not refined like the Scripps and NBC stuff we've seen that looks oh-so-good.

When I saw the stream of KSAZ's 12pm show, it uses one of the updated themes (similar to WFLD's opening theme) of the FOX O&O Theme. I didn't hear one of the VU/Cue11 themes at all. Now I dunno if they'd use the VU/Cue 11 cues for other franchises (such as weather opens/special segement opens/etc) in the newscasts.

I don't think any of the stations have changed their weather graphics, they all seem to be using the same ones they used before. Really peculiar. It's kind of like what KFOR does here in OKC, they've had pretty much the same templates for most of the forecast graphics since the mid-1990s, but the rest of the graphics have been overhauled a few times since then.

Correction: KSAZ appears to be the only Fox O&O to have altered their weather graphics. The map templates are the same, but some aspects (like the upper banners, the template of the 10-day forecast and backgrounds for graphics that don't use maps) have been modified.

Ah understood, I just haven't heard that particular one until tonight though.

Probably because TVT never used that specific cue until tonight. I find it hard to believe that some stations, WNYW being one of them, is still using the classic 2005 music package.

Guest tvgraphicsguy

Feels nice as a TV graphic artist to see something like this and fully believe "Yeah, I could make something much better..."

Archived