WFLD rebrands as Fox 32

former newsboy

Wait A Minute. So you don't remember the "Fox Thirty-Two" (New FOX Logo w/32 in letterform below on the searchlight steps) branding??? That was like after FOX acquired the NFC package from CBS?

FoxID1.gif

FOX 32 News became 'FOX News Chicago' in 1991 but the overall branding continued to be FOX 32 even after that. It was like around '96, '97 when it was they finally dropped FOX Thirty-Two for the current FOX Chicago branding.

190605687_9898b11f6f.jpg

This was the FOX News Chicago that debuted back in 1991. This screencap was from 1992. At around that time they'd continued to use the FOX 32 logo seen below.

190615155_aa51be42c8.jpg

So they'd had the Fox News Chicago/Fox Chicago News branding for a total of 21 years, but they haven't had the FOX Chicago branding for more than 16 years. They'd had the FOX 32 branding for like 8-9 years, not five.

I'm just going to throw this out there...what if this is what they're going to do? Is it in any way possible that they could go back to the "FOX32" banner for general use, but maintain the "FOX Chicago News" branding? It sounds crazy, but it's been done before, and we all know that current management is capable of such stupidity.

They kissed Fox Chicago goodbye and they are showing new graphics today! I checked out their newscast right now. They are officially FOX32 News.

Except for the mic flags that haven't arrived yet.. Plus, the anchors and reporters still getting used to saying "FOX 32" instead of "FOX Chicago".

Except for the mic flags that haven't arrived yet.. Plus, the anchors and reporters still getting used to saying "FOX 32" instead of "FOX Chicago".

The website still has "Fox Chicago" references on it, particularly the banner at the top of the page and the live stream link next to the current weather info above the site section bar still have the old logo. The weather graphics still have "FOX CHICAGO WEATHERWATCH" displayed at the top of the banner.

Plus, the anchors and reporters still getting used to saying "FOX 32" instead of "FOX Chicago".

It's a work in progress, considering Anna Davlantes and Kori Chambers referred to the station as "Fox Chicago" at the end of the TMZ segment just a few minutes ago during the noon news... twice within 30 seconds time, even as a promo slide for TMZ on TV and TMZ Live was shown that had the "Fox 32" logo on it.

I wouldn't expect much until the set gets a redo, and with that newsroom set already in place, they may just ditch the main studio.

Just found out new set signage is in order..

It's going to be a work in progress. It's not like the stations had a choice on the date to debut the new graphics. Some stations were more ready than others. Plus, the decision by management to revert to "FOX 32" came time after the creation of a graphics update were in order.

I posted this in the main graphics thread, but I figured I'd put it here, too...

"I'm actually pleasantly surprised by WFL- wait, FOX32's use of the graphics. The whole time/temp bug has really been cleaned up and anything in the new package is better than the in-house garbage used in the last few years. They've also been rather traditional and conservative with the overall appearance; the theme works well and the L3's are not overused. I watched parts of LA, NY, Philly and Tampa's broadcasts today, and I've been most impressed with WFLD. I'm probably being a little generous, but I (like many others) were expecting the worst.

Oh, and they are still doing a talent rejoin...and it's not half bad. It's all-new with the graphics, but is pretty well-done. Maybe someone can get some video up?"

I wouldn't expect much until the set gets a redo, and with that newsroom set already in place, they may just ditch the main studio.

If they were to ever consider ditching a set, it would be the newsroom one and not the main studio. In all honesty, there's no reason to stop using either set,but a re-fresh is definitely needed for the main studio and a near complete overhaul for the newsroom one.

I'm not a Chicago news viewer obviously, but just looking at the vertical nature of the new bug, perhaps they rebranded to Fox 32 simply so that it would fit into the bug space?

After years of being able to do some things independently (i.e...calling themselves FOX Chicago rather than FOX 32, etc...) of their FOX O&O counterparts, it's my guess that corporate decided that all the station had to adopt this change no questions asked. Renda (who's lucky to still have a job) wasn't going to argue against this.

I have not had the chance to watch the Noon/ 9PM newscasts completely, but from what I did see, I like the opening and that's it. The gpx package is cheap, which I expected given this is the FOX way of doing things.

New logo installed on set wall, new mic flags.. Anita Padilla signing off her report with "FOX Chicago News.. FOX 32 News" correcting herself.

The logo on the wall looks like a giant sticker. I think its temporary, until they get the new plexiglass with the logo, similar to the old one they'd just replaced. The mic flags debuted last night during the 9pm news.

Archived