Eva Pilgrim joining WPVI as weekend anchor?

nynewsguru

I read on TVSPY and Media Bistro that Eva Pilgrim will be joining 6abc as weekend anchor. She previously worked at WXIN in Indiana as anchor and reporter.

Is Rob Jennings leaving or will she just be his co-anchor or is she doing weekend mornings?

I hope that 6abc puts her on weekend evenings because the whole old white man solo anchoring is very 1970s (so is the theme for 6abc) and Jim Gardner anchoring solo on weeknights SMH.

Any thoughts?

I hope that 6abc puts her on weekend evenings because the whole old white man solo anchoring is very 1970s (so is the theme for 6abc) and Jim Gardner anchoring solo on weeknights SMH.

Any thoughts?

A little outdated, but it's working.

Probably weekend (or just Saturday) mornings. They currently have Walter Perez solo Saturday mornings and him paired with Nydia Han on Sundays. I doubt they'd be doing anything to their evening newscasts.

Well since WCAU is getting a co-anchor for the weekend evenings then I do believe that's why Eva was hired to have some sort of competition.

Well since WCAU is getting a co-anchor for the weekend evenings then I do believe that's why Eva was hired to have some sort of competition.

Rob's been doing weekend evenings for well over 30 years and in that time WCAU has always had two anchors on weekend evenings til as late as 2004. I highly doubt 6 would make a hire just to spite 10.

• 4 months later...

Wonder if they have any plans to use her as an anchor?

On another note, they've been overworking Rick Williams a bit. I've seen him anchor the 4, 5, 6, and 11 a few days now. Not sure about the noon. Do they not have any other subs available? Lisa Thomas Laury, Rob Jennings, even Monica Malpass or Sarah Bloomquist at 4?

6 has a clear pattern when it comes to their substitutes. It just so happened that all of them happened to be in effect at the same time.

On the 4, for whatever reason, when Brian Taff is off or on assignment (as he's been this week in Rome), they bring Rick in to fill his role. Why they have to do that, I have no idea - Alicia Vitarelli and Shirleen Allicot carry that broadcast just fine by themselves.

For the 6 and 11, they definitely have a list of substitutes to use on the fairly frequent occasions that Jim is off. It definitely looks like Rick Williams has moved up to be the prime substitute for Jim Gardner. For years, this was Rob Jennings' role. He still does it, but only on certain days it looks like - he's definitely easing up on his workload.

And on the whole, it's definitely looking like that if (God forbid) Jim Gardner departs, Rick Williams will be the 6pm and 11pm anchor. He's clearly being groomed for that eventuality.

And, let's be honest - there is no such thing as "overworking Rick Williams". The man did the 5am and 5pm newscasts for a year straight. Doing the 4, 5, 6, and 11 is a cakewalk.

EDIT: And it's Rob tonight. I clarified the above.

6 has a clear pattern when it comes to their substitutes. It just so happened that all of them happened to be in effect at the same time.

On the 4, for whatever reason, when Brian Taff is off or on assignment (as he's been this week in Rome), they bring Rick in to fill his role. Why they have to do that, I have no idea - Alicia Vitarelli and Shirleen Allicot carry that broadcast just fine by themselves.

For the 6 and 11, they definitely have a list of substitutes to use on the fairly frequent occasions that Jim is off. It definitely looks like Rick Williams has moved up to be the prime substitute for Jim Gardner. For years, this was Rob Jennings' role. He still does it, but only on certain days it looks like - he's definitely easing up on his workload.

And on the whole, it's definitely looking like that if (God forbid) Jim Gardner departs, Rick Williams will be the 6pm and 11pm anchor. He's clearly being groomed for that eventuality.

And, let's be honest - there is no such thing as "overworking Rick Williams". The man did the 5am and 5pm newscasts for a year straight. Doing the 4, 5, 6, and 11 is a cakewalk.

EDIT: And it's Rob tonight. I clarified the above.

Just thank God it isn't Taff they are grooming to take Jim's place.

Crazy thought, if and when Jim does depart, Rick will take his place (great and well deserved move), but do you think that'll be the time 6 chooses to possibly change up and go 2 night anchors keeping him and Monica Malpass together or does their current 6p & 11p format only works for a one anchor system?

Archived