The Weather Channel Lays Off 7% Of Workforce In Restructuring

Spring Rubber

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-lays-off-7-of-workforce-in-restructuring_b150338

Cuts appear to include long-time OCMs Jeff Morrow and Adam Berg along with a ton of behind-the-scenes staffers. This comes as TWC continues to cut back on live programming in favor of long-form programming during the evening and nighttime hours, and it comes roughly four years after the last huge layoff at TWC in November 2008.

Adam Berg said his goodbye on the air at the end of last week. Jeff Morrow likely will not get a goodbye as he has been only used as a fill-in as of late. This leaves Jim Cantore, Mike Seidel, and Vivian Brown as the only remaining OCMs who have been around since the 80s and early 90s. I would imagine that Cantore (high profile) and Brown (only African-American female on the air) are likely safe for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if Seidel is seen as expendable at some point in the future. Ever since NBCUniversal took over, a key priority has been laying off the long-time staffers.

http://www.mediabist...cturing_b150338

Cuts appear to include long-time OCMs Jeff Morrow and Adam Berg along with a ton of behind-the-scenes staffers. This comes as TWC continues to cut back on live programming in favor of long-form programming during the evening and nighttime hours, and it comes roughly four years after the last huge layoff at TWC in November 2008.

Adam Berg said his goodbye on the air at the end of last week. Jeff Morrow likely will not get a goodbye as he has been only used as a fill-in as of late. This leaves Jim Cantore, Mike Seidel, and Vivian Brown as the only remaining OCMs who have been around since the 80s and early 90s. I would imagine that Cantore (high profile) and Brown (only African-American female on the air) are likely safe for now, but I wouldn't be surprised if Seidel is seen as expendable at some point in the future. Ever since NBCUniversal took over, a key priority has been laying off the long-time staffers.

A key priority has not been laying off the long-time staffers, it has been cutting costs. Make the best programed weather channel at the cheapest price.

• 6 months later...

Archived