Weekend morning newscasts on NBC 10

JULIUS

Do they need one? Does it make sense to put an extra body on a show that may be just fine with a single anchor and weather talent?

Does it make sense to have any weather talent on weekend morning? Unless NBC 10 has to cover really incredible storms often, on weekends, and then pay weekend weather talent overtime to be at the studio at 4:30 am, might it make sense to not have a full time morning weather talent, save a few thousand dollars and prerecord the weather on Friday night and Saturday night for both Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Weather is generally predictable. The only thing that causes any unpredictability are storms. I know here in Denver, it is all hands on deck. Our ABC affiliate has 5 meteorologists on staff. And not just weather talent, full fledged meteorologists.

Does it make sense to have any weather talent on weekend morning? Unless NBC 10 has to cover really incredible storms often, on weekends, and then pay weekend weather talent overtime to be at the studio at 4:30 am, might it make sense to not have a full time morning weather talent, save a few thousand dollars and prerecord the weather on Friday night and Saturday night for both Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Weather is generally predictable. The only thing that causes any unpredictability are storms. I know here in Denver, it is all hands on deck. Our ABC affiliate has 5 meteorologists on staff. And not just weather talent, full fledged meteorologists.

Weather = ratings. They'll have a meteorologist, no matter what. Doubt they're paying weekend morning weather talent overtime to be at work when they're supposed to.

Weather = ratings. They'll have a meteorologist, no matter what. Doubt they're paying weekend morning weather talent overtime to be at work when they're supposed to.

Not what I meant. They could save a few dollars by just recording the weather from the night before. So there would only need to be a meteorologist on Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night. No need for a weekend morning meteorologist because you can just air the segment designed the night before. The only think that might snag some people is a good lead in. Once you have that and a C block built and shown, it's like the meteorologist was actually in studio.

The only reason to have a meteorologist present would be during big and/or potentially dangerous storms. I don't know how often that happens in Philly. This would require "on call" rotation meteorologist to be present should the weekend morning news require it. It could potentially save the station the price of a meteorologist.

Not what I meant. They could save a few dollars by just recording the weather from the night before. So there would only need to be a meteorologist on Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night. No need for a weekend morning meteorologist because you can just air the segment designed the night before. The only think that might snag some people is a good lead in. Once you have that and a C block built and shown, it's like the meteorologist was actually in studio.

The only reason to have a meteorologist present would be during big and/or potentially dangerous storms. I don't know how often that happens in Philly. This would require "on call" rotation meteorologist to be present should the weekend morning news require it. It could potentially save the station the price of a meteorologist.

Simply put that wouldn't fly in this market at all. This is by far the most weathercentric market in the country. It doesn't take much for weather in this town to be the leading story.

Simply put that wouldn't fly in this market at all. This is by far the most weathercentric market in the country. It doesn't take much for weather in this town to be the leading story.

That's what I was wondering. The same it true here in Denver. In both cases this is probably true because of the volubility of the weather. I'm sure in some markets this could happen easily because weather takes a backseat to other news.

Archived