vai sikahema anchoring the 7 PM news on NBC Philadelphia nonstop

JULIUS

I noticed that Via was anchoring the 7 PM news with Tracy tonight on NBC Philadelphia Nonstop. I only watched a few minutes of it. I don't know who anchored last night. I guess they are trying to get people to watch that newscast, that doesn't get any promotion on NBC 10, following the footsteps of what channel 3 did when they asked Ukee to start anchoring the news, which he still does to this day. Lou Tilley anchored the weekend morning newscasts years ago. I'm confused with these anchoring moves WCAU has made in recent weeks with their newscasts.

What's confusing about them? This isn't anything revolutionary. Scott Palmer did news and sports on WPVI for years. It's not that big a deal. 10 wants two people anchoring their newscasts at all costs. I think moving Vai to the anchor desk is a sign that they plan on making the 7PM more than just an afterthought.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if they have any big plans for the 7pm news, but they clearly have something in mind for Vai. He did the 5pm news today - typically Tim Lake does the 5pm. He's in, but it looks like Renee's not, so I guess they had him doing the 4pm.

I only saw the last 15 minutes of it, so I don't know how he was during the A block, but from what I saw he looked good. Not necessarily perfect - he did have some prompter trouble - but for a guy who's transitioning from sports director to anchorman, not bad.

And no, 10's recent talent moves aren't confusing. There's a brand new management team there now. They clearly want to beef up the anchoring and reporting staff, and have more of a male presence on each newscast. That brought in Keith (not hockey) Jones, and Chris Cato (has he started yet?) as anchors, and that's presumably why they're giving Vai anchor tryouts.

(Oh, and for the record? I am absolutely liking what the new management has done to the place. 10 is fast becoming a legitimately great news station.)

I liked Vince too - as an anchor, not necessarily a human being. (Same goes for Larry Mendte - pretentious ass, and you knew it on the air, but great anchor.)

But yeah, for years 10 carried like, what? 2 male anchors at best? I know the predominantly female anchor lineups were partly budget cuts, but 10 did have an explicit female focus at that time.

Its a great move and the other deal is that for NBC10 they can use that 7 o'clock newscast as a tryout for people that might be a reporter to anchor a newscast or in Vai's case for sports anchor to move over to news anchor. A couple of stations has come to mind where they will give a newscast to a sports anchor, mainly KOMO4 in Seattle with Eric Johnson anchoring alongside Dan Lewis and just recently with Adam Kuperstein getting an audition for multiple newscasts (he was literally thrown in the fire) to now being the main male news anchor for WTVJ. Its a great luxury that WCAU has with this 7PM newscast to give more people a shot.

Archived