CBS 3 newscasts today being done from a diffrent studio

JULIUS

Yeah. I consider that part of the home base area being that they seemed to have shoehorned it in there (just like the previous set). In fact the standup area seems to be the only part of the new set I actually like.

A different part of the set 10+ feet from the desk requiring camera moves to shoot is part of home base? That's a very generous definition.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... why does the desk all the way to the right have their modern CBS3HD logo, the main desk has their early/mid 2000s CBS 3-in-a-box logo, and the screen on the left side has their mid/late 2000s graphics on display? Is this really the NEW set?

Ok... why does the desk all the way to the right have their modern CBS3HD logo, the main desk has their early/mid 2000s CBS 3-in-a-box logo, and the screen on the left side has their mid/late 2000s graphics on display? Is this really the NEW set?

Those graphics are the current CBS O&O graphics...

Those graphics are the current CBS O&O graphics...

I think the easier explanation is that it looks like that logo is cut into the face of the whole fixture. It's not a duratrans piece that can just be swapped out.

I think the easiest explanation is that the CBS O&O package does strongly resemble the Pyburn Films package from 2004 when you think about it (and I'm assuming that was what was meant by mid/late 2000s graphics)

That said, he's right about the logo confusion. They're not consistent. Everything in the station's presentation has that damn "HD" tacked on, but it's nowhere on the set. The "boxed" 3 logo (which for some reason looks off-model) likewise isn't present on anything else. And, of course, there's the Eyewitness News logo. And even there it's only one variation of what seems like a million.

At the same time, their two biggest competitors are very strongly, singularly branded. (Fox 29 still has their pre-Ailes logo all over the building.) The 6ABC logo and the Action News logo are consistent in their style and layout. They've been consistent more or less since 1995. NBC 10's logo is barely 9 months old, but it's arguably a much stronger identity than the old "10NBC" logo ever was. And I am amazed at how fast and thorough that logo was adopted by that station. Outside of a fleece here or there, the old logo no longer exists. I was sure the old signage in front of their building was going to stay there for eons.

Everything in the station's presentation has that damn "HD" tacked on, but it's nowhere on the set.

It's still carved into the front of the Weather Center. I hate the HD on the logo. It's advertising something that is neither unique or new.

It's still carved into the front of the Weather Center. I hate the HD on the logo. It's advertising something that is neither unique or new.

Management at some of the CBS O&O's hate the HD being incorporated in the logo. However, it's what higher ups wanted a couple years ago. WBBM's management actually removed the HD logo and any references to being HD (from their Hothaus package) for the year prior to the switch to the O&O graphics but had to go back to it to follow network O&O plan. However, the whole "HD" gimmick/hype being used as a tool is pretty much over and I think they're beginning to realize it. So that's the reason why you're not seeing "HD" plastered any of the newly refurbished sets. I'm sure they're going to phase the "HD" out of the logos sometime not too long from now.

• 1 month later...

I am probably the only person in the world that would notice this, but KYW's graphics look slightly different. The animations seem smoother, some of the lower thirds are either proportioned differently or have differing elements (drop shadows). Some of the "glitches" I kept seeing with KYW's version of these graphics seem to finally have been gone.

Anyone in the know - did they upgrade graphics hardware?

I am probably the only person in the world that would notice this, but KYW's graphics look slightly different. The animations seem smoother, some of the lower thirds are either proportioned differently or have differing elements (drop shadows). Some of the "glitches" I kept seeing with KYW's version of these graphics seem to finally have been gone.

Anyone in the know - did they upgrade graphics hardware?

You're not. I've noticed this since last Monday. I kinda was surprised no one talked about this yet.

Archived