A new set for WCCO

MonkeyFighter

[EDIT-NEW OPINION]: Looks like either FX, PDG or BDI to me. Also, from WCCO's Facebook page:

WCCO-TV is unveiling the all-new set tonight @ 10 p.m.! Check out the time-lapse of the set's creation below. Make sure to see the 1st show!

Does anyone know if 'CCO had been using both of their studios prior to the building of the new set?

I know they had a main "Plaza" studio and a studio on Nicollet Mall. I assume they were using the Nicollet studio during construction of the new set. I'd be interested to know if they plan on updating the other one.

Here's an overview of the last studio redesign project at WCCO: http://www.brightlines.com/news/wcco.htm

They had been using the Nicollet Mall studio for all newscasts.

Were they using that as a temp set during construction or had that been their main studio for a while? Sorry, just trying to figure out how they used their space. Never did understand why they had two sets with window backgrounds.

PDG did WCBS, KPIX, among others... any reason we should think they didn't do this one?

^ That looks VERRRRYYYY Fx-y though! They seem to love those combined four monitor displays and that one right there looks virtually identical to the one the one that KJRH all the way down in Tulsa, Oklahoma is using.

PDG didn't do the KPIX set. FX did. My money says this is one of those rare FX jobs where they put some effort into it, much like KPIX's last year.

The Nicollet studio was used for mornings and noon. The plaza studio was for 5, 6, & 10. There wasn't that big of a difference in how they came across on air.

I see. It'd be really cool if they'd redo the Nicollet set next so that the morning show could have a window view. I'm not counting on it though.

On the new set: WOW! Really nice. Not too surprising since WCCO has one of the best creative staffs in the country.

Wasn't KPIX's set designed by PDG and built by FX? The same could hold true here.

It was a full FX job that was just a (pretty blatant) ripoff of PDG's designs:

http://fxgroup.tv/portfolio/kpix-tv/

There's a little more originality with WCCO's set, but there are some elements that are clearly 'borrowed' from the PDG WCBS/WBZ sets.

Here is video of WCCO Set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHRiqkVQ34U&feature=g-all-lik

I will admit the set is very different. I like the open with no spinning CBS Eye behind the CBS 4 WCCO hybrid logo.

The use of a different cut of CBS Enforcer is very nice. Could WCCO making a small break away from some of the CBS standardized look?

One of my biggest issues already is that main anchor backdrop. It just seems as if they are SO DAMN OFF CENTERED with that Minneapolis backdrop behind Mr. Frank there!

That would be my one complaint as well. They make great use of those monitors though.

Visually, I like the new open. Not a fan of using NG1 though. Much too aggressive sounding for WCCO.

Archived