The Weather Channel abandons suit jackets

Spring Rubber

In an attempt to try something different, The Weather Channel has decided to dress its male On Camera Meteorologists in just a dress shirt and tie, no jacket.

It started with their coverage of Hurricane Isaac in late August, where they had the men stop wearing suits in an attempt to make the coverage seem more intense, but after the storm made landfall and dissapated, TWC decided to keep the shirt-and-tie look as its standard on-air dress code. Some of the more prominent personalities like Al Roker continue to wear suits, but it's just a dress shirt and tie for almost every other male anchor on the network. SuitSnob would be highly displeased.

I guess TWC is trying to set a new trend in cable news or something? (Or did someone else try this first?)

When I think of meteorologists not wearing their suit jackets, I think serious weather. At least that's how Don Slater does it...

Honest to god, that's what I actually think. But I think of Brian Norcross' broadcasting clinic during Hurricane Andrew...

Archived