Scripps News Music Appears to be Gone

MidwestTV

KGTV has a new afternoon lineup with the new graphic(s). They are heavily promoting the Katie show, so maybe the new graphics will debut on or before Sept. 10th.

KGTV has a new afternoon lineup with the new graphic(s). They are heavily promoting the Katie show, so maybe the new graphics will debut on or before Sept. 10th.

Sounds about right. Launching the new stuff in line with the upcoming fall season.

I actually like KMGH's take on the circle 7. It's not the traditional circle 7, and I think the serif makes it look pretty classy and timeless. It's pretty amazing to think that the basic logo has been in use since 1998 and still looks pretty sharp:

7762831822_5d4ea9247f_z.jpg

Anyway, I haven't seen any references to the new Scripps package but I'll have to keep a lookout.

I actually like KMGH's take on the circle 7. It's not the traditional circle 7, and I think the serif makes it look pretty classy and timeless. It's pretty amazing to think that the basic logo has been in use since 1998 and still looks pretty sharp:

7762831822_5d4ea9247f_z.jpg

Anyway, I haven't seen any references to the new Scripps package but I'll have to keep a lookout.

I know this is the News Music Thread, but those graphics go oh so perfectly with that logo. And I hope they keep the current news theme.

I know this is the News Music Thread, but those graphics go oh so perfectly with that logo. And I hope they keep the current news theme.

They really do you're right...if Scripps had developed a package looking like this one, it would've been even MORE perfect!

It could also be that the former MGH stations keep their current package and only Scripps stations go with the new stuff. I mean... None of the MGH stations have the Scripps web design. Even though Scripps has premiered new graphics at KSHB and WPTV, they did not simultaneously premiere a new webdesign. And typically at other stations this is done. So, for those MGH stations that haven't transitioned to the Scripps webdesign (all), these MGH stations will not be transitioning to new graphics/music package. Just my two cents.

It could also be that the former MGH stations keep their current package and only Scripps stations go with the new stuff. I mean... None of the MGH stations have the Scripps web design. Even though Scripps has premiered new graphics at KSHB and WPTV, they did not simultaneously premiere a new webdesign. And typically at other stations this is done. So, for those MGH stations that haven't transitioned to the Scripps webdesign (all), these MGH stations will not be transitioning to new graphics/music package. Just my two cents.

Seeing as KGTV has shown hints of the new graphics, I can't imagine the former MGH stations not getting them at some point. The web design aspect could be that they still might be under contract with Internet Broadcasting (who knows for how long) and maybe when their contract is up they switch over. The music is a bit interesting since McGraw Hill signed a 4 year extension with Gari, prior to the sale to Scripps. Does Scripps pay Gari an out fee, or do they let the former MGH stations continue using the Gari music? My guess would be that they will adopt the Stephen Arnold theme. Look wise it will integrate them a little better with the rest of the Scripps stations. As it stands right now, aside from the lighthouse close and the occasional "Scripps" reference, there isn't anything look wise that would tie them (former MGH stations) to their new owners.

It would make absolutely no sense for Scripps to have purchased literally NINE television stations from MGH and NOT standardize anything at all. (although Scripps badly needs a new website design; the current one is like their old package; it's always sucked)

And about those contracts with Gari or whatever, I wouldn't be at all surprised if either A) Those/that contract/s became null and void after Scripps bought them all or B) Scripps paid either some type of early termination fee or just paid out the rest of the money that Gari was owed for the next four years and what not.

It would make absolutely no sense for Scripps to have purchased literally NINE television stations from MGH and NOT standardize anything at all. (although Scripps badly needs a new website design; the current one is like their old package; it's always sucked)

And about those contracts with Gari or whatever, I wouldn't be at all surprised if either A) Those/that contract/s became null and void after Scripps bought them all or :cool: Scripps paid either some type of early termination fee or just paid out the rest of the money that Gari was owed for the next four years and what not.

If they're still contractually obligated to Gari, they might still keep using him... when you think about it, EWN would go rather well with these graphics...

Just a side note -- it would be highly unusual for a news music license to put any obligation on the station to continue using a particular package (indeed, I can think of many reasons why a station would not accept such a term). Stations dump music (and other licensed IP assets) before the license expires all the time -- it essentially just means the station paid for something that they ended up not using.

What I have seen from time to time, but is still not particularly common, is to limit the market exclusivity to the term during which the station is actually using the music. So for example, suppose a station has a three-year license, but dumps the music after a year and a half. Although the station paid for three years, the composer/producer of the music would be free to re-license in that market after a year and a half because the station is no longer using the music. Of course, there are lots of reasons why one wouldn't want to do that as well -- namely, you don't want your market rival picking up your musical brand the day after you drop it. Still, such an arrangement is far more likely than one that actually commands the station to continue using the music.

• 1 year later...

Hate me for resurrecting an old dead threat, but tonight KSHB used the old Scripps theme melody on their closing title card at the end of the newscast or whatever it is that they're called. I remember somebody saying a while back that they kind of wished that they would use the old theme for at least that purpose. Well...they did tonight at least.

Hate me for resurrecting an old dead threat, but tonight KSHB used the old Scripps theme melody on their closing title card at the end of the newscast or whatever it is that they're called. I remember somebody saying a while back that they kind of wished that they would use the old theme for at least that purpose. Well...they did tonight at least.

The lighthouse closing credit? KGTV uses the old music/sig. for the close, even though there is a custom signature cut for the Stephen Arnold/Inergy pack.

Archived