NBC 5 Announces Olympic Coverage

24994J

WMAQ-TV/NBC 5 Chicago announced their plans for the station's own coverage of the London 2012 Olympic Games, above and beyond that of the national coverage. The station be adding five additional hours of weekday local news and 13 half-hours of Chicago-only "Olympic Zone" programs.

WMAQ-TV reporters Lauren Jiggetts and Phil Rogers are already in London, England in advance of the games' official kick off. They will be offering live reports to all of the NBC 5 newscasts -- morning, afternoon and late evening -- throughout the 17 day event.

NBC-TV will be airing Olympic coverage from 9:00am-4:00pm during the games. Starting this coming Monday, July 30th, WMAQ-TV will air special 4:00pm newscasts, immediately after the daytime national coverage, anchored by Marion Brooks and Rob Elgas. This will moves the 4:30pm newscast 30 minutes earlier, and expanding the newscast to a full 60 minutes. The 4:00pm airings of the syndicated show "Extra" will be preempted during the Olympics.

Also starting Monday, WMAQ-TV will preempt their normal 6:30pm airing of the syndicated "Access Hollwood" to instead air "Olympic Zone." This new 30 minute show will air Monday through Saturday, focusing on local athletes participating in the London games and Olympic stories with local interest. Monday through Friday, the show will be hosted by meteorologist Alicia Roman, while Saturday's show will be hosted by meteorologist Cheryl Scott. Each show will also feature NBC-TV's Bob Costas, who will provide a preview of NBC-TV's primetime Olympic coverage for that night.

I don't know about Scott and Roman hosting the "Olympic Zone", but it's a better idea than having Mike Adamle do it.

http://chicagoradioa...ympics-coverage

I guess it makes a lot of sense to replace Extra with a newscast since the Olympics have a variable end time. For example, today's Olympics broadcast ended around 4:08 CT. If they ran syndicated programming, they would wind up joining it in progress every single day.

Plus, I'm sure the Olympics helps the ratings for NBC 5's news.

I don't know about Scott and Roman hosting the "Olympic Zone", but it's a better idea than having Mike Adamle do it.

Not too unusual to have them hosting this show. They often use their weather people for stuff like the Auto Show, BofA Chicago Marathon and such. Brant even co-anchored a special report (LaSalle Bank bldg fire) with Allison and Warner in 2004.

Plus, I'm sure the Olympics helps the ratings for NBC 5's news.

I doubt they will be able to maintain whatever gains they may experience after the Olympics is over. Chicago (along with NYC and LA) didn't make the list of Top 20 metered markets (1st night of Olympic competition). While that may have since changed, it's somewhat indicative of how much interest there may be in the games locally.

****Also, ABC 7 will air a special 7-minute newscast @ 11PM for the duration of the Olympics.****

Wow, the graphics that NBC 5 is using for the Olympics coverage on their newscasts are brutal for 4:3 viewers. Almost everything is designed exclusively for 16:9. While sometimes the errors are minor (such as the cut-off Olympics logo on the lower thirds), other times the errors are severe (such as chunks of text and/or pictures of the competitors being completely outside the 4:3 safe zone).

Basically every single Olympics-related graphic is not 4:3 safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if any other NBC station is doing this, but WMAQ has the weeknight team of Stafford, Rosati and Miller on the late broadcast tonight, even though Johnson and Scott were on at 5pm.

Archived