New Scripps Package?

MidwestTV

WXYZ here in Detroit has an app that does

Hmmm. ok. yeah is ort of forgot about that. i kind of remember some of the stations announcing a while back that we would soon be able to watch their newscasts live over the phone...but that never happened...and since you live in Detroit, check it out for us (WXYZ that is) to see if they go ahead and debut them.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you check out wptv.com and click on the videos tab, the first video titled "Gun Shot victim speaks out" gives a glimpse at the new graphics. The L3's look nice, a bit like CNN. The cut of music played does not sound like the Scripps package, but I could be wrong.

If you check out wptv.com and click on the videos tab, the first video titled "Gun Shot victim speaks out" gives a glimpse at the new graphics. The L3's look nice, a bit like CNN. The cut of music played does not sound like the Scripps package, but I could be wrong.

oh god! they're not that good! they seem half-finished, so unfinished!

Also, I HATE the L3's still! Too much like CNN now and I have NEVER ever liked L3's that are in all caps.

But a vast improvement though none the less. Perhaps I'm too quick to judge though. I'll go and watch some more videos.

EDIT: I have two more things to say now. First of all, are these graphics even SD friendly? Meaning that on WPTV's website, they seem to totally violate the safe zones and appear to be in a letterbox HD format like CNN and Fox News. If so, that's incredibly stupid and people WILL be infuriated if they cannot view Letterbox HD programs. Also, has anyone else noticed how there is still a small hint of the old package in there with those random little flying boxes?

The graphics look cleaner and the colors look better than before!...i like it! Also no changes YET at WXYZ

All the NBC stations will probably be first because of the Olympic, followed by the original ABC affiliates and then finally the former MGH stations. KSHB is slated to debut next week for sure.

I don't know why they would think that adopting their own CNN gizmo was a good idea. Those things serve no purpose other than eye candy, and a local station with only one brand (as opposed to CNN, which has many) has even less use for one than CNN.

The L3s would look better as one color, but at least they picked a decent typeface that's not Helvetica.

I don't know why they would think that adopting their own CNN gizmo was a good idea. Those things serve no purpose other than eye candy, and a local station with only one brand (as opposed to CNN, which has many) has even less use for one than CNN.

The L3s would look better as one color, but at least they picked a decent typeface that's not Helvetica.

I don't find them too bad, but for me at least they would be better off using it for a breaking news animation or something to that effect instead of their slogan/station website.

As for the iPad graphics that I mentioned in earlier posts, I realized that the design came from a current promo graphics package that KGTV is using (albeit they were blue with some yellow). They have been in circulation for the last six months or so.

Back to the new Scripps graphics, I'm curious to see if they will customize this new graphics pack (color, designs, etc.) for each individual station. As it stands now, they wouldn't fit too well with WRTV's red logo. But I must say that this new pack is miles above the previous one and it really shows that they invested a lot more time & energy into it. So let's see what Scripps station gets a new set next... WMAR, KNXV perhaps...?

I don't find them too bad, but for me at least they would be better off using it for a breaking news animation or something to that effect instead of their slogan/station website.

As for the iPad graphics that I mentioned in earlier posts, I realized that the design came from a current promo graphics package that KGTV is using (albeit they were blue with some yellow). They have been in circulation for the last six months or so.

Back to the new Scripps graphics, I'm curious to see if they will customize this new graphics pack (color, designs, etc.) for each individual station. As it stands now, they wouldn't fit too well with WRTV's red logo. But I must say that this new pack is miles above the previous one and it really shows that they invested a lot more time & energy into it. So let's see what Scripps station gets a new set next... WMAR, KNXV perhaps...?

WMAR desperately needs it, that's for sure! Hell the same can/could go for KNXV too...hell let's screw it, ALL of the Scripps stations except for KSHB, WXYZ, KJRH and now WPTV could probably stand to get a new set.

WMAR desperately needs it, that's for sure! Hell the same can/could go for KNXV too...hell let's screw it, ALL of the Scripps stations except for KSHB, WXYZ, KJRH and now WPTV could probably stand to get a new set.

EDIT: here's a video of their graphics I just happened to find today. Hell it actually is the first eleven or so minutes of their newscast. I don't like the opening though...the flow movements in the entire package don't seem smooth enough to me...

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/8349/3672175?title=entertainment_news_at_clipsyndicate

(ohhhh the amazing things you'll find when you go to Google and actually type in 'wptv new graphics')

I'm so elated that WPTV (5NBC, lol) has finally got rid of the horrible copper ScrippsHoward GFX and that *SQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEE-da-da-da-dummmm!!!* theme!!! Hope WEWS gets them. (Yes the flagship should get the GFX and theme, too... So should WCPO 9NEWS...)

So it looks like the L3s stay on screen almost the entire newscast. Yikes!

Is the stuff even within the confounds of the HD safe zone?

I'm so elated that WPTV (5NBC, lol) has finally got rid of the horrible copper ScrippsHoward GFX and that *SQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEE-da-da-da-dummmm!!!* theme!!! Hope WEWS gets them. (Yes the flagship should get the GFX and theme, too...)

I thought WCPO was the flagship, since, you know, Scripps is based out of Cincinnati and WEWS is in Cleveland.

Well here's what I know. The iPad app graphics that have been mentioned have been on WRTV's Facebook Page and Mobile apps since the "Red Circle 6" was reborn. The graphics has only had an online presence on air in a Indy 500 news coverage graphic. Other than that nothing else has changed. The graphics that you see on the iPad app have been on the Station vehicals and the WRTV Building itself since January when again the new logo was born (Which again says to me the red logo and graphics update was planned before the Scripps sale, it just all happened at the same time.)

As for a set the skeleton of WRTV's set has been around since the 90's. They've made a few changes to the backdrops and made some updates, but it's still clearly the same set. A WRTV reporter did mention on her twitter page that she was cleaning off her desk as she said "We are getting a new newsroom."

Also I'm sooooooooooooo glad that hideous Carmel-Brown-Copper colored Scripps graphics is leaving!!!! The Scripps theme does have a good beat to it, BUT like I've seen mentioned on here several times it has very little diversity and few tracks. The ABC News Package has literally a ton of tracks.

^^^Lord you posted a lot! I'm not used to seeing all that is all lol. There's another forum somewhere way out on the interwebs where double posts are strictly forbidden.

anyways though. It seems as if Scripps is really investing a lot into its new stations, and all of its other stations overall period. It'll be somewhat very interesting to see what they do with KGTV and KMGH.

But anyway, back to the graphics. Since KSHB is my Scripps station, I'll have to wait until around Wednesday or so to see how they look. For all we know, this really is pure speculation that Scripps has introduced a new standardized graphics to all of its stations. I only say this because WPTV has different music than the rest, but honestly and sadly though, the chances of this happening are very low. All we'll have to do is wait and see...but that will be at least four more days from now...

LATE BREAKING UPDATE: WRTV's TheIndyChannel.com now has a "Demolition Day in The RTV6 Newsroom" slide show on the homepage.

I wonder if they are renovating the newsroom as a first step to a new set. Several Scripps stations' sets have their newsrooms as backgrounds. But I guess Scripps is going to have to invest a ton of money at KGTV seeing as their newsroom is old, heck they still have the early 90's, 10 News logo tacked on the wall (not to mention all the other technological upgrades the station needs).

I wonder if they are renovating the newsroom as a first step to a new set. Several Scripps stations' sets have their newsrooms as backgrounds. But I guess Scripps is going to have to invest a ton of money at KGTV seeing as their newsroom is old, heck they still have the early 90's, 10 News logo tacked on the wall (not to mention all the other technological upgrades the station needs).

That wont be possible at WRTV as the Studio and Newsroom are on opposite ends of the building with eveything else need for a TV station between them. A Picture Caption on the IndyChannel.com does say, "RTV6's new owner EW Scripps is building us a new State of The Art Studio!"

In addition to this renovation, it was announced earlier this year, that with WRTV's partnership with WIBC-FM they would be opening a street side studio on Monument Circle in downtown Indianapolis, slated to open this August. Now, dont expect a WLS Style studio. It appears, and I stress appears because I not privy to the question if any walls will be knocked out in the now vacant Radio Studio, So space is limited. It sounds like it will be more of a alternate studio to be used for speacil events. But none the less, it's still pretty damn cool.

Is the stuff even within the confounds of the HD safe zone?

I thought WCPO was the flagship, since, you know, Scripps is based out of Cincinnati and WEWS is in Cleveland.

Did not know 'CPO was ScrippsHoward's flagship, too. Thought 'EWS was 'cause the station is named after E.W. Scripps himself.

Did not know 'CPO was ScrippsHoward's flagship, too. Thought 'EWS was 'cause the station is named after E.W. Scripps himself.

Hell so is KSHB in a way! Their call letters mean Scripps Howard Broadcasting. Scripps apparently changed them when they bought them back in the 70's or so from KBMA to reflect the new ownership...

oh well. it's just Scripps trying to assert its dominance. lol Still trying to get used to the new 'PTV graphics though.

Hell so is KSHB in a way! Their call letters mean Scripps Howard Broadcasting. Scripps apparently changed them when they bought them back in the 70's or so from KBMA to reflect the new ownership...

oh well. it's just Scripps trying to assert its dominance. lol Still trying to get used to the new 'PTV graphics though.

For someone who hates these graphics, you sure have a LOT to say about it. And I mean a lot.

Archived