New Scripps Package?

MidwestTV

(First thread topic...so soon too...oh my...anyways)

I keep hearing that Scripps is about to debut a new graphics package, most likely because A) the one they have now is nearly three years old, B) they're hideous and C) since they virtually just acquired 9 television stations, they probably figured that it was time to start standardizing them.

That's all I can really say though...it's very close to debuting, in fact, they'll debut on KSHB in Kansas City "first" after the Olympics on this friday. (I say "first" because I don't know if any of the other two NBC affiliates will also do the same).

I must say, I'm quite excited.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(First thread topic...so soon too...oh my...anyways)

I keep hearing that Scripps is about to debut a new graphics package, most likely because A) the one they have now is nearly three years old, :cool: they're hideous and C) since they virtually just acquired 9 television stations, they probably figured that it was time to start standardizing them.

That's all I can really say though...it's very close to debuting, in fact, they'll debut on KSHB in Kansas City "first" after the Olympics on this friday. (I say "first" because I don't know if any of the other two NBC affiliates will also do the same).

I must say, I'm quite excited.

Not surprising since the stations they purchased from MGH never got the current Scripps look (not even the new-ish website design). Also if you look at the iPad apps for KGTV San Diego, KMGH Denver and WRTV Indy, you can see the new gfx design. Each station's graphic(s) vary by color but the design/look are the same.

Not surprising since the stations they purchased from MGH never got the current Scripps look (not even the new-ish website design). Also if you look at the iPad apps for KGTV San Diego, KMGH Denver and WRTV Indy, you can see the new gfx design. Each station's graphic(s) vary by color but the design/look are the same.

Hmmmm well then by judging by their app graphics, I'm really not too sure what to make of them all. I'm not really a fan of those "auroa like" graphics, but at the same time they don't really bother me either. I prefer packages like WPTV's old (and incredibly extremely awesome) one, and NBC's Look F, for those are packages that have "defined edges." Either way, they're at least BLUE! More or less so at least. I think Scripps finally heard that most people hated that atomic orange color.

Interested in seeing whether they keep the music. IMO, I think the Scripps music package is great.

You're one of the very few then. The package is way too short with not enough cuts or diversity.

After heading over to WRTV's website and watching their weathercast, I sort of have this fear now that they'll look like that...both theirs and KMGH's are pretty similar, bu old and out dated. They're a type of package that would've been revolutionary back between 2003-2005, but no longer.

After heading over to WRTV's website and watching their weathercast, I sort of have this fear now that they'll look like that...both theirs and KMGH's are pretty similar, bu old and out dated. They're a type of package that would've been revolutionary back between 2003-2005, but no longer.

If you're referring to the weather graphics, those were redone last year (at least on KMGH; I'm not sure about WRTV), and they're the best part of the whole package (relatively). Everything else is old old old and from 2006.

Oh, and count me down as being another fan of the Scripps theme music.

Oh ok then, thanks for clarifying. But still though, if what A3N up there said is really true, then I'm sort of afraid that my local Scripps station will choose some type of warm colors over cooler colors. I've actually written to them before saying how much I despise the colors. Then one day they emailed me back saying that they'd actually be debuting a new package soon enough...

Think Renderon did them again? Or not after this last monstrosity?

Oh ok then, thanks for clarifying. But still though, if what A3N up there said is really true, then I'm sort of afraid that my local Scripps station will choose some type of warm colors over cooler colors. I've actually written to them before saying how much I despise the colors. Then one day they emailed me back saying that they'd actually be debuting a new package soon enough...

Think Renderon did them again? Or not after this last monstrosity?

I'm pretty sure that they are putting a lot more effort into this package than they did with current Scripps look. Keep in mind, while the 2006 McGraw Hill look is outdated, they were very well done and they have had a few updates since they debuted. Also the former MGH stations worked with Hothaus to get it done. As far as the color palette, each station can request the type of color that they want. In a way it reminds me of the NBC artworks Look A package which had several different color variations. Music wise- when the sale to Scripps was announced, they mentioned that they would honor the existing contracts with employees, and music companies (among other things) and it was mentioned that MGH had recently signed a 4 year deal with Gari Comm. So it wouldn't be too surprising if Scripps went with Gari for music, seeing as many NBC and ABC affiliates use Gari for theme music anyways.

I'm pretty sure that they are putting a lot more effort into this package than they did with current Scripps look. Keep in mind, while the 2006 McGraw Hill look is outdated, they were very well done and they have had a few updates since they debuted. Also the former MGH stations worked with Hothaus to get it done. As far as the color palette, each station can request the type of color that they want. In a way it reminds me of the NBC artworks Look A package which had several different color variations. Music wise- when the sale to Scripps was announced, they mentioned that they would honor the existing contracts with employees, and music companies (among other things) and it was mentioned that MGH had recently signed a 4 year deal with Gari Comm. So it wouldn't be too surprising if Scripps went with Gari for music, seeing as many NBC and ABC affiliates use Gari for theme music anyways.

Where do you find all this information at because it really does fascinate me. (I mean obviously, I finally found a TV news forum that I could sign up for with seemingly competent people) Most of the stuff I find out for my market I find out on a board (no where near as nice as this one, personality or look wise) where we can't always confirm the story until our "official" source (a local marketing firm for the city) posts the story. Hell, I only found out what I did about this new package coming out because I personally emailed the news director at my station and asked about it, among other things of course. She told me that it would debut soon and to "stay tuned!" and I was thinking that the only obvious time they would debut it would be during the Olympics.

Either way though, I personally suspect that they'll air on KSHB, KJRH and WPTV first, before moving out to the other stations. That, OR, they'll do what many other companies do and debut the entire package in one market first (in this case, KSHB possibly) and then roll them out.

I really don't want to sound like an obsessed TV news fantard nerd, I'm just giving my honest opinion.

Where do you find all this information at because it really does fascinate me. (I mean obviously, I finally found a TV news forum that I could sign up for with seemingly competent people) Most of the stuff I find out for my market I find out on a board (no where near as nice as this one, personality or look wise) where we can't always confirm the story until our "official" source (a local marketing firm for the city) posts the story. Hell, I only found out what I did about this new package coming out because I personally emailed the news director at my station and asked about it, among other things of course. She told me that it would debut soon and to "stay tuned!" and I was thinking that the only obvious time they would debut it would be during the Olympics.

Either way though, I personally suspect that they'll air on KSHB, KJRH and WPTV first, before moving out to the other stations. That, OR, they'll do what many other companies do and debut the entire package in one market first (in this case, KSHB possibly) and then roll them out.

I really don't want to sound like an obsessed TV news fantard nerd, I'm just giving my honest opinion.

Visit tvnewscheck.com, they have some really good articles on the news biz. As for the Scripps gfx, another member mentioned it in another thread, check the general tv thread and look for the Mcgraw Hill stations thread. In regards to the music and stuff like that, there was an article out there that mentioned it. Gfx wise you may be right, the olympics certainly would be a good time to launch new graphics, but a majority of stations do debut new graphics and or sets just before the fall season (usually late August/September. Usually).

Visit tvnewscheck.com, they have some really good articles on the news biz. As for the Scripps gfx, another member mentioned it in another thread, check the general tv thread and look for the Mcgraw Hill stations thread. In regards to the music and stuff like that, there was an article out there that mentioned it. Gfx wise you may be right, the olympics certainly would be a good time to launch new graphics, but a majority of stations do debut new graphics and or sets just before the fall season (usually late August/September. Usually).

Ok cool! Thanks. I've heard of them before.

Plus also, after seeing the thread you redirected me to...ehh...I don't know...WRTV's iPhone app screams of their graphics, as well as the other two stations (KGTV and KMGH), but I personally find it hard to believe that Scripps would go along with essentially implementing a package that's been around since more or less 2004 to the rest of its stations...I aslo have to agree with everyone on that WRTV thing, that whole refresh/rebrand thing was probably already planned, and they went ahead and went along with it, trying to get it out there before Scripps standardized everything.

I personally hate Hothaus's graphics. Every single package they make already seems to be YEARS old, and not only that, virtuallY EVERY single station that has a pacakge done for them, from them, seems to keep them for AT LEAST four and a half, to five years or so.

I'm starting to think this...rebrand or whatever the hell you want to call it isn't going to look to nice still at all. I'm actually trying to see if I can get some details out of my little "source" at my local Scripps station about it (no not the news director lol).

EDIT: welllll i've just gotten word! the whoel pacakge will officially debut sometime next week, probably in the middle, so between tuesday and thursday i'll say.

As far as the color palette, each station can request the type of color that they want. In a way it reminds me of the NBC artworks Look A package which had several different color variations.

Is that an actual description of the new Scripps graphics, or is that a guess/wish?

Music wise- when the sale to Scripps was announced, they mentioned that they would honor the existing contracts with employees, and music companies (among other things) and it was mentioned that MGH had recently signed a 4 year deal with Gari Comm. So it wouldn't be too surprising if Scripps went with Gari for music, seeing as many NBC and ABC affiliates use Gari for theme music anyways.

I've brought this up before, but the Gari contract may be meaningless. McGraw Hill signed it before the deal closed, and now that they're all Scripps stations, it *may* be cheaper to void the contract and use the Scripps theme if Scripps owns it outright. *That* is speculation on my behalf, but it's an educated guess at most.

Edit: Oh, and Scripps has their graphics hubbed at WFTS, right? Does that mean that the MGH stations are joining the hub at some point?

Is that an actual description of the new Scripps graphics, or is that a guess/wish?

It was an example in general on group wide standardized graphics. Stations can customize the graphics to their needs/wants simply by having different color variations of that design. (i.e. NBC Look F). I don't know what the Scripps graphics will look like, but based on the iPad apps, (KMGH, KGTV, WRTV) share the same design (albeit sporting different colors). In regards to the music, if the former MGH stations were going with the Scripps pack, why didn't they start to use it when Scripps took over? So just one man's opinion, but Scripps was quick to send out their closing animation/graphic to 4 MGH stations.

I think the jury's still out as to whether the new artwork in those iPad apps mean anything. The graphic on the KMGH app looks almost exactly like something from the 2006 Hothaus graphics. The KGTV and WRTV apps both have something that looks new, but they don't look like they have much in common. I think there's too little in those apps to be able to definitively tell if they're truly from a new graphics package or if they're just some random art that sometimes gets thrown into iOS apps. (P.S. those apps suck. Three dollars to read articles from the crappy but free McGraw Hill websites?)

There's a lot of speculation in this thread. What we can conclude to be true is:

1) Scripps is working on a new graphics package.

2) According to whomever MidwestTV talked to, WSHB is debuting new graphics next week.

Unless if I'm mistaken, we have no proof as to whether the new package will be highly customizable or will be a one-size-fits-all like the current Scripps graphics, whether the whole station group will use the Scripps music, whether the MGH stations will stay with Gari, whether all of them will adopt Gari themes, or if they'll all adopt something new.

I think the jury's still out as to whether the new artwork in those iPad apps mean anything. The graphic on the KMGH app looks almost exactly like something from the 2006 Hothaus graphics. The KGTV and WRTV apps both have something that looks new, but they don't look like they have much in common. I think there's too little in those apps to be able to definitively tell if they're truly from a new graphics package or if they're just some random art that sometimes gets thrown into iOS apps. (P.S. those apps suck. Three dollars to read articles from the crappy but free McGraw Hill websites?)

There's a lot of speculation in this thread. What we can conclude to be true is:

1) Scripps is working on a new graphics package.

2) According to whomever MidwestTV talked to, WSHB is debuting new graphics next week.

Unless if I'm mistaken, we have no proof as to whether the new package will be highly customizable or will be a one-size-fits-all like the current Scripps graphics, whether the whole station group will use the Scripps music, whether the MGH stations will stay with Gari, whether all of them will adopt Gari themes, or if they'll all adopt something new.

Here's some more news for you all: Even though I just posted a new thread in "Sets and Studios" (because WPTV is going to debut a new set apparently tomorrow), WPTV is also going to debut the entire new package. The story also seem to hint that the color scheme is totally different, but that just could have been them being sarcastic and mocking the "carmel color" of the lower thirds as they put it.

Secondly, it's *K*SHB, lol, WSHB doesn't even exist, and my source told me now that they will be delaying the priemere of the new package until the middle of next week. Up until now, this would have been typical of KSHB, debut their weather graphics first, and then the full package either a day or a few days later. They've done it now with the last two packages they've had (including this current one from Scripps). I would imagine that they are having some troubles incorportaing them into their system, or are struggling to learn it. they've said that almost everyone has been in some pretty damn intense training trying to learn it all week.

I also have to agree about those three MGH station apps though, they're too similar looking to their on-air package to really be an indication of what's to come, and for all we know they'll enver change them either to match the new package.

Either way though, WPTV is once again the first Scripps station to full unviel the new graphics.

http://sphotos-b.xx....741178471_n.jpg

Hope the link works, and you can also view it on KGTV's facebook page. A few months ago these talent shots popped up, and the design/color scheme match the iPad apps. There is even a breaking news graphic.

http://www.facebook.com/ABC10News

Ugh. They're hideous again still then if those really are design concepts/based off of the package designs.

That sparkly swoosh in the KGTV graphic is part of the ABC network graphics toolkit provided to affiliates. Nothing earth-shattering there.

That's what I thought. Anyways. WPTV's the first to debut them tonight at around midnight their time (assuming the games get over with on time). Anyone around that area? It'd be great to get some initial screenshots...

Welp! That logo sure is hideous that's for sure. I bet you a five year old could make a much better one on Powerpoint. (I sure the hell could)

antywho...I REALLY HOPE that the logo bug is on the left side of the screen again. I DESPISE right positioned bugs.

Maybe they stream on their website?

They don't. None of the Scripps stations do. It's a shame really sadly. KSHB WANTED to or something like that for their new 4:30pm newscast that debuted nearly exactly 11 months ago, but something happened and they didn't. I think it was more of a laziness, never-got-around-to-it type thing though, rather than Corprate intervention.

They don't. None of the Scripps stations do. It's a shame really sadly. KSHB WANTED to or something like that for their new 4:30pm newscast that debuted nearly exactly 11 months ago, but something happened and they didn't. I think it was more of a laziness, never-got-around-to-it type thing though, rather than Corprate intervention.

WXYZ here in Detroit has an app that does

Archived