Orlando's WESH rolls out new graphics, music

Weeters

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was not expecting WISN to be the first ABC station to get the graphics. I would have thought it would been WCVB or WTAE. Overall the look is nice, but I agree that it kind of doesn't gel with the set.

I think WISN is looking to try and get some buzz again. They've had a very tough run for the last few months. First with the whole Hearst/Time Warner nonsense, then other stations in the area (WDJT and WTMJ) getting major upgrades in their sets. WTMJ also got a nice Olympic boost in their ratings. And finally, sportscaster Dan Needles getting arrested on domestic abuse charges. Oh, yeah, and news director Lori Waldon leaving for another Hearst station in Sacramento.

They may have asked to be bumped up in the rotation to try and counter some of that bad news.

The thing that just hit me: the package has a total lack of any ABC branding. The only ABC logo is on the front of the anchor desk. That is a little surprising to me, I guess... one would think that tying the newscast to the larger ABC News organization would be a valuable thing.

The thing that just hit me: the package has a total lack of any ABC branding. The only ABC logo is on the front of the anchor desk. That is a little surprising to me, I guess... one would think that tying the newscast to the larger ABC News organization would be a valuable thing.

WISN has never really been one to use the ABC branding, though.

Anywho...

LOVE THIS LOOK!!!!!!!! I think this what WISN needed! They have not been stable with their opens. I can’t remember the last time I saw an open during 12 News This Morning during the week! Also, at 5, 6 & 10, they been using their “Right Now On 12 News” open. Come to think of it, I wonder how they will open the news if they have to open with Breaking News?

As for the talent opens: LOVE THEM!!! However, a few Questions, 12 News This morning now has 2 talent opens, one for Patrick, Portia and Marianne and one for Sally and Matt. My question is I wonder why Jeremy wasn’t in there. Unless they’ll put his name in there on his work days. (He’s in for Sally this morning so I’m guessing this is Sally’s regular work day?)

Anyone remember the last time WISN had a change like this??? Seems to me, WISN hasn’t gotten every Hearst refresh. Seems like they’ve had the same L3rds forever before last night

LOVE THIS LOOK!!!!!!!! I think this what WISN needed! They have not been stable with their opens. I can’t remember the last time I saw an open during 12 News This Morning during the week! Also, at 5, 6 & 10, they been using their “Right Now On 12 News” open. Come to think of it, I wonder how they will open the news if they have to open with Breaking News?

As for the talent opens: LOVE THEM!!! However, a few Questions, 12 News This morning now has 2 talent opens, one for Patrick, Portia and Marianne and one for Sally and Matt. My question is I wonder why Jeremy wasn’t in there. Unless they’ll put his name in there on his work days. (He’s in for Sally this morning so I’m guessing this is Sally’s regular work day?)

Anyone remember the last time WISN had a change like this??? Seems to me, WISN hasn’t gotten every Hearst refresh. Seems like they’ve had the same L3rds forever before last night

Jeremy usually works weekend mornings. Sally is on vacation this week.

What in the hell does their website traffic have to do with anything? They're still the #1 (or close #2) newscast in Milwaukee.

yessireee!

no correlation whatsoever between a tv station's ratings and their web traffic despite the numerous articles and studies (including nielsen) citing such that one might find (and actually read) via a little-known web property named google before running their pie-hole(s).

btw- a joyous, healthy and prosperous Rosh Hashanah to all (i missed you guys too).

Changing the subject: are there any other Hearst stations that are going to switch to the new graphics in the immediate future (prior to the end of this month)? I only ask because it seems appropriate to make the changeover within the next couple of weeks as the networks start rolling out more of their fall programming.

Changing the subject: are there any other Hearst stations that are going to switch to the new graphics in the immediate future (prior to the end of this month)? I only ask because it seems appropriate to make the changeover within the next couple of weeks as the networks start rolling out more of their fall programming.

I would think that fall programming isn't as much of a factor as fall sweeps would be. I'd expect to see some more making the change before that point.

If past switchovers to standardized or hubbed graphics are any indication, this rollout could take awhile. Don't forget, a lot of these processes involve getting the stations on the same graphics tech - it's not as simple as loading a new package into the library. (The only station group that I know hasn't done this is CBS, which would explain why they look so simple.) It took NBC the better part of two years to get all of the stations up on the Arthouse platform. Fox started in 2005 but I don't think they got everyone on the O&O graphics until 2007 - and that was before they hubbed.

If this process involves getting all of the stations on a platform - and to me, it looks like Viz - then I can see this rollout taking at least until the end of the year minimum. I think you are going to see a rampup of the changeover process in the next few weeks, though. But LoadStar has it right - the target will be November sweeps, not just the new television season.

If past switchovers to standardized or hubbed graphics are any indication, this rollout could take awhile. Don't forget, a lot of these processes involve getting the stations on the same graphics tech - it's not as simple as loading a new package into the library. (The only station group that I know hasn't done this is CBS, which would explain why they look so simple.) It took NBC the better part of two years to get all of the stations up on the Arthouse platform. Fox started in 2005 but I don't think they got everyone on the O&O graphics until 2007 - and that was before they hubbed.

If this process involves getting all of the stations on a platform - and to me, it looks like Viz - then I can see this rollout taking at least until the end of the year minimum. I think you are going to see a rampup of the changeover process in the next few weeks, though. But LoadStar has it right - the target will be November sweeps, not just the new television season.

I hear you on that one. Though, what I meant was one or two stations that were going to make the switchover in the short term. I know that Hearst's last standardized graphics (the version that's being phased out, though a few stations, like WISN, KCRA, WXII and WDSU, replaced them with their own new looks before this new package came out; KOCO has pretty much stuck with the standard graphics throughout) debuted on five of its stations in 2003 and KETV was apparently the last one to adopt them in 2006 (if SouthernMedia NMSA is correct, and it might very well be). WMUR didn't even start using the Jerome Gilmer-composed theme music until last year, and apparently they're not even using that full-time.

I hear you on that one. Though, what I meant was one or two stations that were going to make the switchover in the short term. I know that Hearst's last standardized graphics (the version that's being phased out, though a few stations, like WISN, KCRA, WXII and WDSU, replaced them with their own new looks before this new package came out; KOCO has pretty much stuck with the standard graphics throughout) debuted on five of its stations in 2003 and KETV was apparently the last one to adopt them in 2006 (if SouthernMedia NMSA is correct, and it might very well be). WMUR didn't even start using the Jerome Gilmer-composed theme music until last year, and apparently they're not even using that full-time.

WISN never picked up the Hearst "refresh" that WCVB, KCRA, and possibly others were using. They stuck to the standard Hearst package pretty closely, right up until switching to the new graphics. Same with WXII. WDSU is still using the standard (not refreshed) Hearst package.

And KOCO definitely does *not* use the standard Hearst package... that red/blue modified version they use looks almost FOX-ish.

WISN never picked up the Hearst "refresh" that WCVB, KCRA, and possibly others were using. They stuck to the standard Hearst package pretty closely, right up until switching to the new graphics. Same with WXII. WDSU is still using the standard (not refreshed) Hearst package.

And KOCO definitely does *not* use the standard Hearst package... that red/blue modified version they use looks almost FOX-ish.

That's what I meant when I mentioned those stations. WCVB, KCRA, WXII, WISN and WDSU didn't really stick entirely to the standardized graphics and developed their own graphical schemes or revised elements of the original ones. WISN was the only one to use a company other than the one Hearst used for the 2003 era graphics (I'm not sure if they had someone do those or the company developed them internally) as Hothaus created WISN's previous graphics, before they flipped to the new look.

Being from the market where KOCO is located, I know that station has revised the 2003 era Hearst graphics quite a few times, the most recent change being earlier this year when the opens and talent bumpers were redone for the third time (or fourth, I lost count), the current lower thirds have been used since about 2008-09, and the current weather graphics have been in use since '09/early 2010 (with a minor refresh to some weather graphics and an overhaul of the maps in April, when they began using what I believe is WSI's TruVu Max). The changes are so noticeable that only the backgrounds have been the only part of the package that hasn't really changed. Many of the Hearst stations have changed so many elements of the 2003 era graphics that the group's overall look kind of became "unstandardized", to the point where WISN and KOCO even started using a news theme that had Jerome Gilmer's Hearst theme signature but was composed by Gari Media (KOCO still uses that theme, but only during their morning news; the Gilmer package is still used on the evening newscasts).

Archived