Orlando's WESH rolls out new graphics, music

Weeters

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woops sorry guys, didnt not realize I was not logged in.

Here are some graphics from WBAL TV's special report this afternoon on the abduction of Vi Ripkin. While not full 1080i they are better than 720p.

http://twitpic.com/abt0ar

http://twitpic.com/abt0rx

http://twitpic.com/abt0l0

http://twitpic.com/abt0kb

http://twitpic.com/abt0km - Notice their bug is there still after the report ended - so it must be from master control.

Sorry about links guys, put I didn't want the page to be all askew to fit photos to 1600x900.

You can delete the previous post.

Here's a video of the 5:00 PM news open of WBAL. Later today if anyone wants, I will take some grabs from this morning and their new news ticker as well.

As of 5:15AM the video is uploading and going to need to be encoded. It will be a while.

I have to admit, I'm REALLY digging WBAL's version of the open. I like that they're doing station IDs to start off again to begin with - but I love how WBAL runs silence before the announcement... then the music kicks in. Very old school, kind of like

All we need is Zombie Ernie Anderson and we're all set!

As for the graphics... the more I see them, the more I like them. I wouldn't put it above, say, Look F, but this is a clean, classy, well-designed package. I like the lowers a lot, except for the "LIVE" bit. They do what CBS hasn't quite managed to do - do a lower third set that is minimal but readable and easy on the eyes. Oh, and the music, which I'm more convinced than ever is inthegroove, is fantastic.

I actually wasn't expecting too much out of these but I am impressed.

Here's a video of the 5:00 PM news open of WBAL. Later today if anyone wants, I will take some grabs from this morning and their new news ticker as well.

As of 5:15AM the video is uploading and going to need to be encoded. It will be a while.

Minor quibble about the open: the whirring noise heard before Bill Ratner's VO in the ID portion is a bit jarring and kind of sounds like an electric can opener cutting a can. :rolleyes:

I have to admit, I'm REALLY digging WBAL's version of the open. I like that they're doing station IDs to start off again to begin with - but I love how WBAL runs silence before the announcement... then the music kicks in. Very old school, kind of like

All we need is Zombie Ernie Anderson and we're all set!

As for the graphics... the more I see them, the more I like them. I wouldn't put it above, say, Look F, but this is a clean, classy, well-designed package. I like the lowers a lot, except for the "LIVE" bit. They do what CBS hasn't quite managed to do - do a lower third set that is minimal but readable and easy on the eyes. Oh, and the music, which I'm more convinced than ever is inthegroove, is fantastic.

I actually wasn't expecting too much out of these but I am impressed.

Hopefully it will get better after they stop using the Olympic bug.

From what it looks like, Hearst's NBC stations seem to be the first getting this new package. I wonder which station will be next; I'm guessing WYFF.

We've known that the NBC stations were getting the new package first so they had it by the Olympics, with the rest of the group to eventually follow as they switch over to the hub.

They seem to be going roughly by market order, though they skipped a few if WGAL now has it...

We've known that the NBC stations were getting the new package first so they had it by the Olympics, with the rest of the group to eventually follow as they switch over to the hub.

They seem to be going roughly by market order, though they skipped a few if WGAL now has it...

By the hub I'm assuming your referring to the new graphics hub at WESH? Hopefully they haven't terminated many positions at local stations. In fact I'm friends with two or three at WBAL?

Oh yes, WGAL got this at Noon today ... it's VERY VERY nice. and FINALLY ... the WGAL logo with the NBC peacock is being used. One of my last pet peeves with WGAL is resolved. The new theme has to grow on me ... I kinda feel this is too 'up-tempo' and 'busy' for our sleepy HLLY area. I'm sure about 2 weeks from now tho, I probably will take that back. Oh and look, new talent open!!! Bravo WGAL and Hearst!!!

Oh yes, WGAL got this at Noon today ... it's VERY VERY nice. and FINALLY ... the WGAL logo with the NBC peacock is being used. One of my last pet peeves with WGAL is resolved. The new theme has to grow on me ... I kinda feel this is too 'up-tempo' and 'busy' for our sleepy HLLY area. I'm sure about 2 weeks from now tho, I probably will take that back. Oh and look, new talent open!!! Bravo WGAL and Hearst!!!

Are they using the rock theme or an orchestral theme? The orchestral theme would work better...

Here is a - Not so good video from my iPhone of the Open...sorry for the quality.

It actually looks great on TV. And the theme, I miss the Hearst theme, but I really like this new theme.

Glad that Bill Ratner still at the mike for the open. The open is close to being better than the NBC O&O GFX. (still shocked that Stan Stovall still is at TV11!)

Archived