Dave Price Named Morning Anchor at WNYW; Greg Kelly Shifts to Evenings

TexasTVNews

Beginning next Monday, Rosanna Scotto will have a new co-anchor on “Good Day New York”: Dave Price, a former WNYW weathercaster, is returning to the Fox O&O.

Price’s hire sets a cascade of changes to WNYW’s newscasts into motion. Greg Kelly, Scotto’s current co-anchor, will move to evenings, co-anchoring the 6 and 10 p.m. newscasts with Dari Alexander. Kelly replaces Erinie Anastos at 10 p.m. and Harry Martin at 6 p.m.

A WNYW spokesperson said in a statement Anastos’ time at the anchor desk will be reduced, although the station will add more “Positively Ernie” specials to its lineup beginning later this year. He will remain anchor of the station’s 5 p.m. newscast. Martin will continue as an anchor on WNYW sister station WWOR, and will focus on political reporting ahead of the election.

Price served as the weathercaster on “Good Day New York” from 1999-03. Most recently, he worked for CBS News, where he was a weather anchor and features reporter on “The Early Show” and a weather anchor for WCBS.

“Dave Price is an extremely talented and experienced morning news personality. The moment he became available it was clear to me that he would be a great addition to our team,” WNYW VP-GM Lew Leone said in a statement. “The ‘Good Day New York’ viewers will appreciate his charm, sense of humor and intelligence as they start their day with FOX 5.”

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This won't last to long.. I bet Greg is back on mornings by the end of the year. This won't work for a few reasons.. Greg is too goofy for the nighttime newscasts and Dari is too stiff for him there was a few times Greg was on at night for a special report.. Him and Ernie would have a conversation and Dari would push it off.. Plus him and Rosanna are great together idk why they'd move him for Dave Price who I personally think is annoying.

The message that is ever so true so far in 2012, in the news industry(at the local and network level): Old people get out of the way!

I really don't think ratings will be any different at 10pm. WNYW's programming guarantees them a win and what WPIX is producing is actually helping not hurting WNYW.

Edit: Wishful thinking is if they hire Sue to be on at 5pm and move Dari to be on at 6/10pm.

From rape allegations to main anchor on the flagship Fox owned and operated station within a year. That's impressive.

Interesting to see how the Scotto/Price team works out. He can anchor; I don't know why he continued with weather after he jumped to CBS.

Beginning next Monday, Rosanna Scotto will have a new co-anchor on “Good Day New York”: Dave Price, a former WNYW weathercaster, is returning to the Fox O&O.

Price’s hire sets a cascade of changes to WNYW’s newscasts into motion. Greg Kelly, Scotto’s current co-anchor, will move to evenings, co-anchoring the 6 and 10 p.m. newscasts with Dari Alexander. Kelly replaces Erinie Anastos at 10 p.m. and Harry Martin at 6 p.m.

A WNYW spokesperson said in a statement Anastos’ time at the anchor desk will be reduced, although the station will add more “Positively Ernie” specials to its lineup beginning later this year. He will remain anchor of the station’s 5 p.m. newscast. Martin will continue as an anchor on WNYW sister station WWOR, and will focus on political reporting ahead of the election.

Price served as the weathercaster on “Good Day New York” from 1999-03. Most recently, he worked for CBS News, where he was a weather anchor and features reporter on “The Early Show” and a weather anchor for WCBS.

“Dave Price is an extremely talented and experienced morning news personality. The moment he became available it was clear to me that he would be a great addition to our team,” WNYW VP-GM Lew Leone said in a statement. “The ‘Good Day New York’ viewers will appreciate his charm, sense of humor and intelligence as they start their day with FOX 5.”

Seems like WNYW is playing with fire again. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They did this when they moved Rosanna to the mornings, and it turned out all right.

However, I think this time it won't work. First, Ernie's well liked, and to most of us this will probably appear as a demotion for him and possibly a way to phase him out. Second, I've always seen WNYW as the more serious of the two shows that continue past 7am (the other being PIX). While Dave Price is all right, I don't see him as being able to handle a serious news story. He kind of reminds me of a 12-year old kid who likes to always have fun. Also, not a fan of the flying solo at 6pm, regardless of who the solo is. Greg should be the only piece of these switches that will actually work.

Bring in Sue to co-anchor the 5pm, and then I think all the other changes will be worth it!

Can we get more of Harry and Brenda (4pm or 7pm)???

The Kelly/Scotto team was very very strong in my humble opinion. I cannot understand why they would tamper with it especially now with the demise of the Today Show.. I do not see Scotto and Price having the same chemistry..Scotto was the top banana and Greg

Kelly knew it and was quite confortable in his role and fed off of her and visa versa.. Price is going to want to be that top banana..

It wouldn't surprise me then to see Rosanna call it quits.

The Kelly/Scotto team was very very strong in my humble opinion. I cannot understand why they would tamper with it especially now with the demise of the Today Show.. I do not see Scotto and Price having the same chemistry..Scotto was the top banana and Greg

Kelly knew it and was quite confortable in his role and fed off of her and visa versa.. Price is going to want to be that top banana..

It wouldn't surprise me then to see Rosanna call it quits.

Ur 100% right! This is probably the strongest team they've had in the morning on Fox5. ever. I agree that Rosanna will probably leave her husband is a lawyer so she's got plenty of money and her kids are both in college plus she could work the restaurant to keep busy if she wanted.. This is a huge mistake.

I wonder if the addition of Dave Price is a direct counterprogramming move to the impending extension of the WCBS morning show on 10/55.

Dave Price and John Elliott are sort of cut from the same cloth...

This doesn't make much sense.

You dismantle GDNY which has really grown the past few years with Scotto and Kelly.

You dismantle the #1 news at 10. And remove NY news icon Ernie Anastos from your flagship primetime newscast.

As for Dari: Dari was awful at first when she joined WNYW, she's come a long way but she's still cold and lacks personality. They could do much better.

Really, really surprised about this.

If the management of FOX5/My9 were smart, they would promote Brenda Blackmon to lead female anchor on Channel 5, and let Ernie anchor alongside her (meaning he keeps his lead anchor job). Then put Dari Alexander on Channel 9. Obviously though it is not going to happen.

Pure foolishness. This love affair that Diane Doctor has had with Dave Price since the 2 crew has clouded her vision. She's wanted him to replace Nick for years and

become a major contributor. IF- a big if- he can win back viewers, it may help the morning show even though there will be an oil and water personality gap.

As for the evening, giving Ernie the lowest rated Fox5 newscast is a demotion and a mean spirited way to get the ball rolling to say goodby to one of the greats in NYC news.

As for the 10, deer in the headlights Dari, paired with always-angry-Greg should make for some good fireworks, especially off camera.

Eternal Ernie viewers are going to be pissed. Call me crazy but I bet this gives PIX a huge boost in the long run as they turn away in droves. Some may go to the step child My9, which barely gets

a 1/2 rating point per night.

Pure foolishness. This love affair that Diane Doctor has had with Dave Price since the 2 crew has clouded her vision. She's wanted him to replace Nick for years and

become a major contributor. IF- a big if- he can win back viewers, it may help the morning show even though there will be an oil and water personality gap.

As for the evening, giving Ernie the lowest rated Fox5 newscast is a demotion and a mean spirited way to get the ball rolling to say goodby to one of the greats in NYC news.

As for the 10, deer in the headlights Dari, paired with always-angry-Greg should make for some good fireworks, especially off camera.

Eternal Ernie viewers are going to be pissed. Call me crazy but I bet this gives PIX a huge boost in the long run as they turn away in droves. Some may go to the step child My9, which barely gets

a 1/2 rating point per night.

Trust me it might not be good but it wont be that bad for people to watch PIX. And "always angry Greg"? Ru serious? He's always joking and fooling around with the team and the people that come on the show. I think the worst decision is that they split him and Rosanna.. Dari is way to stiff for anyone if she lightens up a little (a lot) then it could work. I really like Greg so I hope it works out

This morning's opening segment was hilarious,,It really is genuine the love and respect they have for each other,,

What a shame to break them up,, They even did the first interview still handcuffed to each other,,,None like them

You took it out of context.

Greg puts on a good show when on air, and that's a good thing because it works well with Rosanna. But off camera, he is a terror to the staff and anyone that messes up. There are countless stories of his rants and rages, some even caught on tape. You can claim he's the consummate professional and perfectionist but that is going to lead to commercial-break wars with Dari who

hardly works up to the same standard. So in essence, I agree with you. He'll be taken out of his comfort zone which could lead to disharmony.

Let's face it, Ernie is the draw at 10; not Dari. Without him, Greg is going to have mighty big shoes to fill and the older audience will be annoyed by this and likely won't stick around.

This is Ernie's last 10:00 and Dari is not there.. I wonder if anything will be mentioned tonight or if they feel enough was said this morning? Was anything mentioned at 6?

Jodi mentioned it on WPIX at the end of their newscast. She wished him well.

Greg's paycheck will remain the same according to the NY Daily News, and everyone at 5&9 was surprised at the shake-up according to the NY Post.

Not so sure that the article from the NY Daily News is right cause Greg said on friday that he's looking forward to a bigger paycheck. Also there is a video of Jill Nicolini saying that everyone was shocked and no one knew about it.. It seems they told everyone last minute.. If Ernie leaves in a few years do you think Greg will get the 5pm?

While Rosanna and Greg had great chemistry I think Dave and Rosanna will work.. It might take sometime but they are off to a good start.. Many people on Facebook don't agree but that's cause it's a new thing.. Many didn't think Greg and Rosanna would work either.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Archived