Select Fox O&O's partnering with AccuWeather

Viper550

Not happening in Houston, either, since KTRK partners with them already. I've never been terribly impressed by Accuweather's products, to be honest, and have never understood their cachet.

I do wonder if this means those stations are getting Accuweather's on-air graphics systems, or just the branding. A rep told me one time at a conference that they market the two together and seperately.

It wasn't but just a few years ago that most adopted (or partially adopted) Baron's VIPR systems.

Odd. Here in Atlanta AccuWeather powers WXIA's weather channel now, but WAGA is listed in the article as an eligible station.

I would've thought WXIA had gone back to partnering with The Weather Channel like they did in the past (especially after NBCU bought a majority stake in the network).

Phoenix has me baffled for the same reason as above (Gannett has rights to AccuWeather in the market). That said, prior to Scripps adopting Live Well, there were two AccuWeather subchannels in the market.

In DC (where I no longer live), WJLA used to run Accuweather for its Weather Now subchannel, until they suddenly stopped a few months ago. Of course, now it is free for Accuweather to partner with WTTG. DCRTV reported on it as it happened. (The archives aren't the greatest, though.)

We have two Accuweather subchannels in Milwaukee, the one on WMVS (PBS) just uses a "white label" version and doesn't air any of the accuweather-produced video.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the markets with duplicate Accuweather stations either do this or flip to a different system.

vlcsnap-2012-06-01-16h20m30s65.png.5ed42b31a2edd14e3ec6111cd1febddc.png

vlcsnap-2012-06-01-16h24m26s124.png.00adfe88d7e0264068b71b2dc62d1d38.png

Technically -- technically -- Philly has had two full-on AccuWx affiliates for years in WPVI and WFMZ. So I guess exclusivity isn't that big of a deal all things considered.

29 almost certainly won't be getting AccuWx, but in a world without John Bolaris, who knows...

Technically -- technically -- Philly has had two full-on AccuWx affiliates for years in WPVI and WFMZ. So I guess exclusivity isn't that big of a deal all things considered.

29 almost certainly won't be getting AccuWx, but in a world without John Bolaris, who knows...

Seeing as 6 is playing up "StormTracker 6" more and more and AccuWeather less and less, it might not even be all that shocking. I don't think they will switch but if they do, it'll be like other times when 6 changes things. In other words, you won't notice.

And yes, we technically have two AccuWeathers, but we used to have three if you count KYW 1060. They largely ditched them earlier this year, though. They keep AccuWeather for the mornings because Elliot Abrams, but all other dayparts are now handled by CBS 3 meteorologists.

• 1 month later...

Archived