WCBD - New Graphics Package?

tyrannical bastard

It looks like WCBD has changed their graphics package from the standard-issue Media General WFLA package to a modified version of the WCMH/WAGT package, only this version is in blue instead of red.

I know WNCN has been doing their own thing in promos, but are any other Media General stations ditching their current look for something different?

Meanwhile, over at WKRG, their promos have taken a turn for the worse.

I came across this YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.c...wesomepromotion

These look like one of their interns cranked them out in iMovie and shot them with an iPhone.

I hope this is fake because just like you said, these are terrible promos and look like they use Power Point to make this.

[yt]xBmitb0G_3U[/yt]

>iMovie "News Music"

oh dear god

and how did

win an award????

That "promo" looks like some cheap, poorly-produced school production. If this isn't horrible, then I don't know what is.

I hope this is fake because just like you said, these are terrible promos and look like they use Power Point to make this.

Unfortunately, they're all too real...and WKRG airs them in beautiful, stunning high definition.

The latest promo (airing now) morning anchor Devon Walsh teaching the viewer how to "gimme 5"....using Bill Riales and John Nodar as examples. What started as a catchy campaign about 2 years ago to promote their morning news has turned into a mockery of themselves pretending they are on vacation while being chroma-keyed over world landmarks and destroying alarm clocks a-la Office Space with the printer. I don't know what the hell they are thinking over there at WKRG...whatever happened to "Coverage You Can Count On?"

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile, over at WKRG, their promos have taken a turn for the worse.

I came across this YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.c...wesomepromotion

These look like one of their interns cranked them out in iMovie and shot them with an iPhone.

WKRG's promos are such an embarrassment. I've said the same thing you did - Looks like they were made in iMovie.

And to the other poster who pointed out, "how far the mighty have fallen" - You can't even imagine how far...

To steer this thread back on track....WCBD is now in HD using a blue variant of the WCMH/WAGT look. Since July, it looks like WSLS and WSAV have picked up the red version as well.

I came across this from what looks like a Media General Youtube Channel

It may be a spec version, since they have uploaded different versions in different colors, and other files look like animation demos from their central graphics department in Richmond. Can anyone confirm if WBTW is airing this?

To steer this thread back on track....WCBD is now in HD using a blue variant of the WCMH/WAGT look. Since July, it looks like WSLS and WSAV have picked up the red version as well.

I came across this from what looks like a Media General Youtube Channel

It may be a spec version, since they have uploaded different versions in different colors, and other files look like animation demos from their central graphics department in Richmond. Can anyone confirm if WBTW is airing this?

Yes WBTW are slowly rolling out the graphic package, exspecially with their new promos. They should be up in full bloom within the next month or so.

If that, on the whole, is what MG stations are creating graphically, that is exceptionally poor. Even when NBC's hub wasn't that good, the graphics didn't slip to that quality.

And some of those spots tell me that some of these stations may not even have graphics persons in house and they're botching stuff together in Final Cut Pro. Which is exactly how they look. Not that the hub's work is that much better...

Since July, it looks like WSLS and WSAV have picked up the red version as well.

WSAV has it too, according to their website videos.

Indeed. WSAV's new graphics premiered right after the opening ceremony of the Olympics. They also updated a few of the backdrops on their set.

wsavnewlook.jpg

http://www2.whlt.com/news/2012/aug/02/hattiesburg-hosts-night-out-ar-4263930/

As seen in this clip....and throughout their website, WHLT in Hattiesburg, MS is a hodgepodge of Media General's past, present and possible future.

The lower thirds and fullscreen text and bars are holdovers from the original VDO "Blue and Gold" WFLA package that most MG stations picked up pre-MGFX.

The background on the fullscreen looks looks like a part of the blue package WCBD is using.

WHLT is a semi-satellite of WJTV in Jackson, MS, carrying their morning and midday newscasts, and produces parts of the 10pm newscast that WHLT airs.

Also, their logo is modeled after WKRG, using the same oval behind the 22, albeit in a more 3D sense. (Newer versions of the WKRG logo use a similar effect).

I was in Providence for the Half Marathon this weekend and caught WJAR's newscast. I prefer the blue over the red (are we looking at the politics of that market??? ;-) ). Though the boxed in 10 from WCAU has to go - WCAU made a nice switch; WJAR should too.

J

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Add WJHL to the list of Media General stations that are using this graphics package. The new graphics package comes with a new logo. I felt that the previous "11 Connects" logo is a lot better than their new logo. Their new logo is not so good.

http://weather.wjhl.com/?config=&user=JHL&forecast=pass&pass=general&w=extended

Add WJHL to the list of Media General stations that are using this graphics package. The new graphics package comes with a new logo. I felt that the previous "11 Connects" logo is a lot better than their new logo. Their new logo is not so good.

http://weather.wjhl....eral&w=extended

Yuck! Their new logo looks like it was cheaply thrown together in PowerPoint in like 5 minutes.

Archived