A New Home for an Old Set

Weeters

When it's time to replace a set, many sets end up in the dumpster, pieces taken off and stored away in the off chance the station may need an old news desk someday. Other times, pieces may be sent to a college. Even with network sets that have a lot of history behind them, their pieces may ultimately end up shoved into a news nook, out of sight of the public eye.

That's not the case for the Tim Russert-era Meet the Press set that was replaced in 2010. Recently, several pieces of the historic set were donated to the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago. The Museum posted a video featuring the unloading and assembly of their newest exhibit.

[yt]UQE5LVzr9vA[/yt]

The set pieces the museum received include one of the iconic Meet the Press logo lightbox walls, duratrans, and of course, the table and chairs. The donation of the set is part of a partnership between the museum and NBC News, which includes almost three million dollars of financial support from Comcast/NBC as well as additional artifacts and video clips from NBC News and local NBC O&O WMAQ.

The set will be on permanent exhibition at the museum, located in downtown Chicago. It's slated to open later this year.

Now that they finally seem to have the museum finished, I should really go down there sometime...maybe when the Bulls have their championship parade. If I get some pictures, I'll post them.

Nice edition to the museum.

FYI- Despite being open to the public, the National Radio Hall of Fame gallery isn't complete and there are a few other MBC exhibits that have yet to be completed also I believe. Hopefully, they will have everything up and running at some point soon.

Archived