"Live! With Kelly" debuts a new set

trev57

The syndicated "Live! With Kelly" debuted a new set this morning. It is the most expansive renovation in the show's history, and features 109 LED monitors, a larger stage for in-studio performances, and a re-done audience area that now includes a balcony.

The new studio was installed while the show was in Canada and re-runs for the past 3 weeks.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/blog/2012/04/09/live-gets-new-set/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So hear me out everyone. This idea popped into my head when Sam Champion was Kelly's guest co-host. I think he did an amazing job, and would be a great permanent replacement for Regis. Sam and Kelly are friends off camera, so they are already familiar with each other, and their real life friend chemistry comes across so well on television. So, how about making Live with Kelly a 3rd hour of Good Morning America, and move the entire 3 hours into the new set. Sam can keep his job as GMA Weather Anchor, and make a seamless transition to the 9am hour with Kelly. Kelly can then in turn do some features for the first 2 hours of the program, as she wishes. Lara and Josh can contribute to show as well. The re-furbished set is the perfect set for a morning show, and since GMA is pretty much like a talk show now anyway, have the audience for the entire 3 hours.

So hear me out everyone. This idea popped into my head when Sam Champion was Kelly's guest co-host. I think he did an amazing job, and would be a great permanent replacement for Regis. Sam and Kelly are friends off camera, so they are already familiar with each other, and their real life friend chemistry comes across so well on television. So, how about making Live with Kelly a 3rd hour of Good Morning America, and move the entire 3 hours into the new set. Sam can keep his job as GMA Weather Anchor, and make a seamless transition to the 9am hour with Kelly. Kelly can then in turn do some features for the first 2 hours of the program, as she wishes. Lara and Josh can contribute to show as well. The re-furbished set is the perfect set for a morning show, and since GMA is pretty much like a talk show now anyway, have the audience for the entire 3 hours.

I answer:

There are quite a few problems with your idea. To start with, GMA is an ABC Network production. Live is produced by WABC/BuenaVista Domestic Television Distribution. They are separate and not affiliated in any meaningful way, though they are owned by the same parent company. GMA is produced in the Times Square Studios, an excellent location for a national morning show. Live is shot at WABC's own studio at 67th Street about 2 miles away near Lincoln Center. Though WABC is a fine facility, it's not the magnet that Times Square is. Thirdly, local stations must clear a third hour of network airtime, something I doubt they'd be interested in doing. When NBC started their 4th hour of Today, they had to agree to give up an hour of network time elsewhere in the daily schedule. What they gave up was a failing soap opera called "Passions" which aired in the afternoons. ABC would probably have to do something similar to get local carriage. That's currently not in the cards. So you see, there are so many hurdles to your idea that I'd call it very VERY unlikely to ever happen. The fact that Live is syndicated and produced by a different (though related) company makes your idea not really possible.

Archived