NBC O&O (Stephen Arnold) Video

• 5 months later...

Also worth a listen: their three minute audio montage.

WCAU is using this theme amazingly well. There's a large selection of cuts in use across their newscasts, and a lot of variety to them. And yet I'm listening to this and I don't even think they're using half the package. Even the themes they USE are more fully fleshed out in the montages than in the cuts they use on air. They literally could simply switch all of their themes to new cuts from this package and it would sound like they got entirely new music. That's how much variety this has.

I know NBC has been through significant changes. I think the decision to throw away the Mother New York-based graphics was the right call. I think Look F is fantastic. I'm growing more and more impressed with the news product I'm seeing on WCAU with each passing day.

But still... I think it's an absolute shame this was never adapted by the entire group. I mean, overall, the group did go in a generally great direction musically, with KNBC's package spreading, KXAS getting a chimed-up version of 360, WTVJ getting a VERY South Florida-esque customized theme. I can understand if a lot of the station managers who now had control over their station's look and feel thought it wasn't big enough. But really, this deserves to be heard on more than two stations. 360/Stephen Arnold/Chad Cook/whoever just did a great job making an NBC news theme that felt fresh and energetic, with a catchy hook and versatile themes. 360/Arnold have really made a comeback, haven't they?

I'm glad I get to hear this every night - I think it's the best theme WCAU has used since they went to their v2 package in 2000. I think it's as well-done, if not better, than the 1997 package. I just wish more stations could.

Archived