Sue Simmons is OUT

Daybreak

I see that they farmed in Contessa Brewer for Erika. Anyone think it is more of a tryout for the slot next to Chuck? I would think David is in line for Chuck's spot and they would not want two anchors of color, so Contessa might be a safe direction. She is just far too stiff and seems out of tune to NY local news. Just a thought.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that they farmed in Contessa Brewer for Erika. Anyone think it is more of a tryout for the slot next to Chuck? I would think David is in line for Chuck's spot and they would not want two anchors of color, so Contessa might be a safe direction. She is just far too stiff and seems out of tune to NY local news. Just a thought.

Over the next few months we will probably see everyone working different spots just to see who works well with each other.. I was flipping through this morning and saw David Ushery anchoring with Darlene.. Plus channel 2 has Maurice DuBois and Kristine Johnson anchoring together and they are both black so I don't think race will play a factor.. Anyway if it came out that someone didn't get a promotion and race played a factor they might as just shut down they would be sued so bad.

A few observations:

1. I don't think Kristine Johnson is black. I believe she is Filipino.

2. Whoever thinks they will replace Sue with Kaity Tong or Cindy Hsu is crazy. Kaity comes with a heft price tag, they might as well keep Sue. Plus I would think they would want to go with someone who is likely to be around a lot longer. As for Cindy, seems like a nice person, but what has she done for CBS 2 ratings wise? CBS 2 has been there, done that, why would NBC 4 go there? Bottom line: NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

3. If David is next in line to succeed Chuck, why is he stuck anchoring on the weekends? They have Tom anchoring Noon and 5pm for a reason. Expect him to get the top spot if they go with someone in house.

4. Lynda used to anchor weekdays, and they took her off anchoring all together. Why would they choose her to anchor again?

5. If WNBC goes with someone in-house to replace Sue, it will either be Shiba or Darlene. I would also expect Erika to move to weekdays if Shiba or Darlene get Sue's spot.

6. I think it's a mistake to can Sue as well. I also think it was a mistake keeping her off the 6pm. Makes me wonder if they tried offering her less, and if Chuck took a pay cut to remain for three more years.

Just my two cents!!

A few observations:

1. I don't think Kristine Johnson is black. I believe she is Filipino.

2. Whoever thinks they will replace Sue with Kaity Tong or Cindy Hsu is crazy. Kaity comes with a heft price tag, they might as well keep Sue. Plus I would think they would want to go with someone who is likely to be around a lot longer. As for Cindy, seems like a nice person, but what has she done for CBS 2 ratings wise? CBS 2 has been there, done that, why would NBC 4 go there? Bottom line: NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

3. If David is next in line to succeed Chuck, why is he stuck anchoring on the weekends? They have Tom anchoring Noon and 5pm for a reason. Expect him to get the top spot if they go with someone in house.

4. Lynda used to anchor weekdays, and they took her off anchoring all together. Why would they choose her to anchor again?

5. If WNBC goes with someone in-house to replace Sue, it will either be Shiba or Darlene. I would also expect Erika to move to weekdays if Shiba or Darlene get Sue's spot.

6. I think it's a mistake to can Sue as well. I also think it was a mistake keeping her off the 6pm. Makes me wonder if they tried offering her less, and if Chuck took a pay cut to remain for three more years.

Just my two cents!!

I was wondering if David was next in line to replace Chuck, when he do "decides" to leave. Hmmmm...

• 2 weeks later...

I think Lisa Mateo from PIX 11 deserves a promotion..She has proven herself.. She can do weather/traffic/entertainment and she is a great anchor..I think PIX is using her and she should be considered a replacement..some of you might not be to familiar with the name or might not think she is ready to do the 5pm or 6/11pm news deepening on what happens but there is no harm in trying..She is pretty hot too lol..

sue isn't going anywhere. i have it on good authority that she is currently talking with wpix. it seems management finally noticed people don't like applegate as much as they thought, and bringing sue over could easily double ratings. if everything goes as planned she'll be on pix11 by mid july.

Guest NewsHound

sue isn't going anywhere. i have it on good authority that she is currently talking with wpix. it seems management finally noticed people don't like applegate as much as they thought, and bringing sue over could easily double ratings. if everything goes as planned she'll be on pix11 by mid july.

Whom are your sources that told you this? If this is actually the case, then good for her! Maybe WPIX will wise up, run their news op a little more like WGN or KTLA. I would love to see a Marvin Scott/Sue Simmons anchor team. I think it's a winning team. They need to be realistic they will never be up to WCBS/WNBC/WABC caliber, and that their main competition is going to come from WNYW/WWOR and WLNY. If they can realize that, boot that scumbag Bill Carey, bring in someone with journalistic integrity to the news director role, freshen up the place (no more cheap in-house graphics, Hothaus, and maybe a return of their old theme updated by 615 music), and get a more serious approach, WPIX could once again be a professional organization. This, however, is just a perfect world we may never see.

• 1 month later...

It's ironic that Shiba Russell is filling-in all week at 11pm as it seems she might be the new co-anchor at 11pm.

Anyone else think whoever co-anchors at 11pm is going to be on with Chuck at 6pm?

I just don't think Sue is going to retire. Last week she was on solo and did fine without a co-anchor.

She might take some time off but I would not be surprised if she's back on FOX5 or WPIX by September if not sooner.

It is between Contessa Brewer and Shiba Russell for Sue Simmons spot. I hope they chose Contessa for 5 and 11 and Shiba for the noon and 6. Any suggestions....

No I think that whoever gets the spot should be on both the 6 and 11 with Chuck. Its probably gonna be Shiba Russell getting Sue's spot and they will probably move Erika Tarantal (if/when she comes back) to the Noon and 5 and then Contessa will get the weekend spot.

No I think that whoever gets the spot should be on both the 6 and 11 with Chuck. Its probably gonna be Shiba Russell getting Sue's spot and they will probably move Erika Tarantal (if/when she comes back) to the Noon and 5 and then Contessa will get the weekend spot.

I agree. Whoever gets the spot should be on at 6 & 11 with Chuck. Whoever is left out of the weekday rotation (AM, Noon/5, 6/11) from Erika and Contessa, I'd like to see that person move to weekend evenings and be paired with David for the 6 & 11. Then hire or promote male anchor to co-anchor with Pat on weekend mornings.

What I have read from other sources stipulated in Shiba's contract is a $600,000 pay out to her if the top job is given to someone else. Jane Hanson would be a great choice as well as Darlene Rodriguez.

It's interesting that it was once considered that if Sue left, the job would be Darlene's. WNBC did push for the pairing of Chuck and Darlene last time the Olympics were around when I think Sue was on vacation and during Sunday broadcasts after football, they would have Darlene fill in. As I mentioned in a previous post, I really doubt they"ll move her because Today in NY has a very solid team right now, though if they did Pat Battle would be a great replacement for Darlene. She has great chemistry with the team and is very energetic.

That said, I think Darlene would be a way better replacement than Shiba would. Does anyone notice how annoyingly Shiba, at times, stares down her co-anchor?

I want Sue to stay, but I can echo the sentiments of Pei Sze Cheng or Jane Hanson getting a shot at the job. However, its highly unlikely. As far as

Jenkins, I read an article a little while back where she was quoted as saying that she visited 30 Rock and asked Chuck and Sue why they didn't retire yet.

Then she commented that she guessed they didn't make enough money yet. Highly doubt she'll return to the business.

Archived