Sue Simmons is OUT

Daybreak

It's really unfortunate how the old gets pushed out. I think that when an anchor reaches the iconic status like Sue and Chuck, they should be able to retire on their own terms.

Yes, the ratings haven't been that great, but that's because of NBC's primetime schedule.

So what's next for Sue, retire or join another station (I really doubt any station can afford to pay Sue's salary) ?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awful. Simply awful. I don't know Channel 4 without Sue Simmons on there. And the way that Channel 4 is doing this is absolutely criminal. I hope NBC4's ratings tank even further down than they are now. I know I'm done with them. Such BS man.

wow, errors galore in that NY Post article. In an interview youo can find on You Tube, Simmons stated she quit drinking before newscasts many many years ago. Second, Chuck does not anchor the 5 pm solo. He anchors the 6 solo. Seriously, this many mistakes in a little article? Come on!

Sad to see her go... Here are a few quotes of an article that caught my eye, and they point out that NBC really wanted to do anything in their power to push Sue slowly but steadily from NBC 4.

At the time, a station spokesperson told FishbowlNY that it was Simmons’ decision to gradually ease herself back into the flow. But Adams says Simmons was “bounced” from the 6 p.m.

Adams, who has remained friends with Simmons since she was a contributor on Live at Five in the 1980s, says this was entirely NBC’s decision, adding that Simmons, a four-time Emmy winner would have gladly re-upped.

Adams says Scarborough even tried an 11th-hour appeal to keep his 11 p.m. co-anchor. But this went way beyond 30 Rock. She implies this decision was made in Philadelphia by the brass at NBC’s new parent company, Comcast.

Reference:

Barmash, J. (2012, March 7). Sue Simmons out at WNBC. Fishbowl NY. http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/sue-simmons-reportedly-out-at-wnbc-after-more-than-three-decades_b55223

Just a thought...is there anyone at WCAU that could be up for a promotion, to New York perhaps?

WCAU seems to be on good footing for the first time in a while, and I don't think they're going to want to give that up by passing their best talent on to a sister station. But maybe it's Comcast/NBCUni's decision...?

WCAU seems to be on good footing for the first time in a while, and I don't think they're going to want to give that up by passing their best talent on to a sister station. But maybe it's Comcast/NBCUni's decision...?

If it's up to Comcast (which I doubt) CAU will stay just the way it. Comcast pretty much treats them like they are the network flagship so I doubt they would allow them to be weaken to help another station.

If it's up to Comcast (which I doubt) CAU will stay just the way it. Comcast pretty much treats them like they are the network flagship so I doubt they would allow them to be weaken to help another station.

This. WCAU is the flagship now. Without question. They're afforded the most resources, they're the most independent, and they share an area code with the corporate parent.

With the exception of master control, Philadelphia has clearly become the hub.

EDIT: Before I catch guff. I know, I know. 10 Monument is 610; Comcast Center is 215. It's an expression...

EDIT AGAIN: So it's a bad expression. Okay. They share a state. Funfact: I'm told Comcast is thinking about moving some ops to 10's Monument Avenue building to avoid city taxes. The more you know...

She was simply making too much it is an end of an era though. The station would rather use the money for other things, ie; their new studio and etc.. Sue is simply overpayed and not saying anything is wrong with her, I think it was a right exit for her she's been with the station long enough, I wouldn't be suprised if Chuck leaves soon too, but apparently they extended his contract for just another 3 years so thats pretty much a wrap for these veteran anchors. We are in a new decade its time to see change. Out with the old in with the new. The Chuck and Sue days of NBC are closing in on an inevitable end.. We knew it would happen someday..

Does anyone do research anymore?

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/169863/sue-simmons-will-be-a-standout-wherever-she-lands.html

Money, natch, is an issue. She gets paid a whopping $5 million a year according to the New York Post. You have to wonder if any TV news anchor is worth that much.

But Simmons is going out on a high note—her pairing with long-time partner Chuck Scarborough at 11 p.m. is still the top rated late-night newscast in town...

And for stations that aren’t number one, that’s motivation to strongly consider the veteran New York anchor for their own versions of the If It Bleeds It Leads Show. They could use a little lightening up.

Sometimes, stations do recover from losing important talent. This is not going to be one of those times.

WNBC is done. That's all I have to say. Best of wishes to Sue!

Thats not necessarilly true. Its funny to see a lot of people claiming that WNBC will never return to the way it was before. It doesn't matter if you had a team for over 30 years or a team thats just less than 5 years old. If it works with the audience, then they will prevail. WABC continues to be number one and their news talent teams are fairly young, all teams under 5 years old, with the exception of the weekend evening news team (Joe and Sandra). They're still number one, look at WCBS who recovered after their bloodbath. Its possible to recover just have to reinvent yourself and do something that has never been done before and watch they will come back. The problem with WNBC is their network, their network isn't prevailing all too much so it trickles down to the local channel itself as well, though they have seen some improvements over the year in ratings with the introduction of The Voice and a few other great network shows...

Guest NewsHound

I don't think we've seen the last of Sue Simmons. Not likely.

In an surreal twist, if WPIX ever decides to FIX their faulty news product, Sue would bring light to that ever failing news organization. Make the newscast traditional again and put her on at 5p and 10p with Marvin Scott. There is a news team for you. However, THAT will NEVER happen EVER. However, it may add some extension to her career, I mean look at Kaity Tong, she gets ousted from WABC and ends up at WPIX and is still there, albeit in smaller form than she used to be.

Speaking of, WNBC needs to consider offering Kaity the old position once occupied by Sue, think about it, viewers LOVE her and it would certainly help WNBC, and its something better than what she's doing now...

I think though if Chuck were admirable, and I think he is a pretty great guy... We might see that he will voluntarily leave soon just because his longtime co-anchor had to... he might actually go into retirement. Again, speculation, and there is no telling.

I'm almost sure though Shiba will probably get the job, Chuck will stay on, Kaity Tong will stay on weekends at WPIX, and Sue will be reduced to just part-time field reporter at some station in New York, as sad as it might be. (Muriel Clair at WGN-TV comes to mind, the woman has to be AS OLD as Sue and as worked at WGN for over 34 years and she's still reporting albeit on a part-time basis).

OR Sue can just enjoy retirement... Anyway you take this story, it looks like an end of an era for sure.

Speaking of, WNBC needs to consider offering Kaity the old position once occupied by Sue, think about it, viewers LOVE her and it would certainly help WNBC, and its something better than what she's doing now...

WNBC should get Kaity Tong and if Scarborough retires, they could pick up Jim Watkins! But it's going to be a bit harder watching WNBC's newscasts. :bang: And I bet Sue's either going to either WCBS or WABC or she'll enjoy retirement.

Hopefully Sue will just stay off and enjoy retirement.. As sad as it is to see her go I would want her to be happy and enjoy herself while she can. As to her replacement I'm pretty sure they'll bring in someone young that will be there a while..

The assumption is that Shiba is the replacement, but I don't find her appealing, Her demeanor seems stiff when she's anchoring. I understand the trend is for younger talent, but it seems oddly matched when you pair a legend with a newbie (which Shiba is, in NY).

I mentioned Kaity Tong in an earlier post because I really do think she would be a good fit. She has a warm personality that shows when she's delivering the news. Hiring her would also quell any age discrimination claims, as she is slightly younger than Sue. You would be replacing a legend with another legend and thus have an experienced pair that would be better matched.

If not, I would rather have just Chuck anchor solo, as a couple of you have mentioned.

The assumption is that Shiba is the replacement, but I don't find her appealing, Her demeanor seems stiff when she's anchoring. I understand the trend is for younger talent, but it seems oddly matched when you pair a legend with a newbie (which Shiba is, in NY).

I mentioned Kaity Tong in an earlier post because I really do think she would be a good fit. She has a warm personality that shows when she's delivering the news. Hiring her would also quell any age discrimination claims, as she is slightly younger than Sue. You would be replacing a legend with another legend and thus have an experienced pair that would be better matched.

If not, I would rather have just Chuck anchor solo, as a couple of you have mentioned.

I do believed Shiba was the one who was going to replace Sue. She is a decent anchor but not enough star power, yet so now I think it is Contessa Brewer because first off she anchored the weekend morning broadcast and is anchoring again tonight. They are seeing people reaction to her and trying her out. Right now I believe she is WNBC 1st choice for replacing Sue.

Does anyone do research anymore?

http://www.mediapost...-she-lands.html

That's pretty funny... The last time WNBC was #1 at 11PM was the last time NBC had a decent primetime schedule - over 10 years ago.

The 11PM news race has been between WABC and WCBS for years. Usually WABC wins by a nose.. .which is impressive given that CBS has many many more primetime viewers - but WCBS does win here and there.

The problem isn't Sue - the problem is the amount of money Sue makes. Stations all over the country are trying to save money as advertising dollars fall... the perfect example is what happened with Regis at WABC. He was asked to take less money to continue on, and he walked. In this industry, no one is thought of as "irreplaceable" anymore.

Archived