Sue Simmons is OUT

Daybreak

I remember when WNBC re-launched noon and 5 p.m. newscasts, the management at the time said, they were positioning the station to be "the market leader" in local news.

But after what they did, I find it very hard to believe that WNBC will be a dominant station ever again.

To quote many hip-hop DJ's, "It's about to go down y'all!" (The ratings, that is).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that Sue will be back elsewhere. Not sure how to take what she said about wanting to be employed elsewhere, even if its once a week. It can

be taken she has something lined up already or it can be taken that she does not have anything lined up and she is letting it be known she is

available. I don't think WNBC treated her non-renewal in a nice way. My opinion. Even though they let her go, they could have handled this with more

professionalism and respect. Sadly, I was thinking where she might go in this market. WCBS weekends with Don Dahler? Where? I hope to see her

again, but I hope she does what she wants to do. We love and miss Sue Simmons already. God bless~

"Shut the front door!" Had everybody and me rolling at the end of the video montage. They mention "what the F*$% are you doing" promo before that.

From now on, every June 15th will be "Sue Simmons Day" in NYC proclaimed by Mayor Bloomberg.

Sue, We'll love you from all of us at TVNewsTalk and the Tri-State Region.

They didn't give her much time to talk.. But it was a nice tribute from Chuck and other staff.. I would like to see her end up on FOX5 with Harry Martin at 6pm.

Actually, if Fox wants to actually be a player at 5PM, especially with Dr. Oz on at 4 and a decent lead-in, they should team Sue up with Ernie at 5pm, then have Dari do 6 and 10 with Harry and Ernie respectively.

I think Sue and Ernie would actually be funny together, they've never worked together, and they are both New York legends in their own right. Sue, more so than Ernie because of her longevity at NBC, but Ernie, everyone knows Ernie. lol.

They could also put weekends back on WWOR which would be a job opening for Sue.

Also, I'd just like to say if Shiba Russell is put on 6 and 11pm then I will stop watching WNBC all together. I can't stand Shiba and if you saw the tributes for Sue at 5, you could see Shiba could care less. She has no personality and gives a choppy delievery. I really hope that NBC knows that if Shiba gets the spot than they will have the lowest ratings they have ever seen.

I hope that they think about Pei Sze Cheng or Darlene Rodriguez and demoting Shiba to reporter.

Thanks for posting the video. Although I moved our of DMA 1 almost 7 years ago, I still miss Chuck and Sue. Local TV in DMA 21 is a joke unfortunately, and WNBC has no clue what they had, unfortunately. I wish all the best to Sue. Thanks for the memories from Live at 5 to News4NY/NewsChannel 4 at 11.

On Darlene's twitter account, she posted pictures of the behind the scene send off before the newscast. Seems a whole lot of people were there to send her off.

A fan tweeted to Darlene that she should take over the prime slot. Interestingly enough Darlene responded to the fan's tweet by saying that she appreciates the comment, but loves her Today in NY team. So unfortunately, I think we're stuck with Shiba as the replacement.

On Sue's future, I remember a couple of months ago when the news broke that Sue's contract wasn't going to be renewed, Sue did the sports because both Scott and Bruce was off. Chuck mentioned on how well she did afterwards, saying she might have a career in doing sports. Sue commented that she hopes she has a future in something. With her comment last night about a once a week gig, I can see maybe WNYW paring Len Berman and Sue to take over their Sunday Sports Extra segment.

If Wnyw ever hire's sue I sure they wdémodé something this Dari 10 years ago they had Linda schimtt and John Roland on at 5pm then they Rosanna and len cannon on 6&10pm so maybe they can do with Ernie and Dari at 5pm and 10 and Harry & at sue 6 with Len Berman doing sports instead of Russ salsberg.and sue can be a full in for Dari and Christina and Ernie that's my prediction.

FTV Live said they know who will replace Sue but i truly do not believe they know who it's going to be. They made some mistakes in the past and i dont think the person they are naming will be the anchor.

FTV Live said they know who will replace Sue but i truly do not believe they know who it's going to be. They made some mistakes in the past and i dont think the person they are naming will be the anchor.

Did they say who the replacement was???? Please don't say it's that horrible mess of anchor, Shiba Russell.

If Shiba has to give up her noon and 5PM anchoring positions, then I would'nt be surprised if Erica Tarantal gets them. That or they could let just her or Darlene anchor at noon, though I think it would make a lot of sense if WNBC gives the noon newscast gigs to both Darlene and Michael.

It is beyond me why they would keep Chuck solo at 6:00..They should have given the 6 and 11 to Shiba..Let the Today in NY team anchor at noon..and promote someone within at 5:00..(maybe Contessa?) WNBC has really screwed themselves bad enough by letting Sue go and their making it even worse by doing what this.

Did WABC ever name a permanent host for the show that used to be "Like It Is with Gil Noble" ?? Or are they still rotating between Sandra Bookman, Lori Stokes and Jeff Pegues?

Sue would be a great fit there - all those years of interviewing doing "Live At Five" would come in handy, and as she said on her final broadcast, she wouldn't mind working just one day a week...

Archived