360/Stephen Arnold's NBC O&O Theme

Jess

Since we finally got this confirmed, I wanted to make a thread. I've made no secret of how I feel about this package. I think it's great, and I think it's the only part of the failed "block look" worth salvaging.

So I'll kick off the discussion with this long close where they fudged together two minutes of the WCAU version of this theme:

Hearing the new look WMAQ montages, I can see the similarities between the WCAU version and the KNSD version that's landed in Chi-Town. I think this approach is kind of brilliant.

All it needs is words and they'd have 'PVI shakin' in their boots!

If NBC5 ever gets the timing straight with NY, we may be able to hear some sort of close one of these days...it's 5:42 CT and I still haven't seen them end on time.

How the hell did they end up, like, 2 minutes light?!

I assume the director sat on 1 Tower Cam closing shot as he/she made fun of the producer...or out of spite.

Actually, this came from the 7pm newscast on 10.2. Which is likely not their highest priority, just like the 10pm news on WPHL. Unlike the 7pm newshours on some of the other nonstops, WCAU just does another normal newscast, identical in look and feel to their other news output. I'm sure they realized they were short and went "aw, screw it" and tried to deal with the fact they had two minutes to fill and a sixty second closing theme. (Would have been funnier if they used their Gari-era close, which was the pitched up close from NBC News Now!)

As for the live skyline shot, that's basically what they always close every newscast with. Usually it's not a problem because they only allow a few seconds for the close. Most of the newscasts sort of segue into the next show. At 6pm they actually just plug nightly news and run the Nightly News bumper until New York cuts in. That's one way to solve the timing problem. :p

Actually, this came from the 7pm newscast on 10.2. Which is likely not their highest priority, just like the 10pm news on WPHL. Unlike the 7pm newshours on some of the other nonstops, WCAU just does another normal newscast, identical in look and feel to their other news output. I'm sure they realized they were short and went "aw, screw it" and tried to deal with the fact they had two minutes to fill and a sixty second closing theme. (Would have been funnier if they used their Gari-era close, which was the pitched up close from NBC News Now!)

As for the live skyline shot, that's basically what they always close every newscast with. Usually it's not a problem because they only allow a few seconds for the close. Most of the newscasts sort of segue into the next show. At 6pm they actually just plug nightly news and run the Nightly News bumper until New York cuts in. That's one way to solve the timing problem. :p

I know you love this... and I think it's a cool theme. But it just sounds kind of grating to me. I liked it better before hearing two minutes of it straight. It doesn't feel very elegant... I don't know. Maybe I'll start liking it again when it's not stuck in my head anymore.

I always thought it was cool how they transition to NBC Nightly News though.

As for the live skyline shot, that's basically what they always close every newscast with. Usually it's not a problem because they only allow a few seconds for the close.

Sometimes if they know they're gonna have time left over, they will cycle through their sky cams and not just sit on the Adventure Aquarium skyline shot. I guess since it wasn't programmed into the automation we couldn't have that in this instance.

All it needs is words and they'd have 'PVI shakin' in their boots!

I could imagine it now...

(dating back to the NEWS10 era)

"If you see news or an idea for a report, call 1-800-TIP-WCAU or email tips@nbc10.com"

• 2 months later...

THREAD BUMP - - - THREAD BUMP - - - THREAD BUMP - - - THREAD BUMP - - - THREAD BUMP - - - THREAD BUMP

Better late than never, but the NMSA has added the new theme...

http://www.southernm...search=3,1,1681

It's nothing we haven't heard before (they use a 40 second cut from the WCAU theme), but they do give full credit for the theme to 360 Music.

Archived