BREAKING: New WMAQ O&O Open leaked

Weeters

TVNewsTalk received a tip that pointed us in the direction of a video featuring what appears to be the new 6AM open for WMAQ in Chicago.

The video again shows that the new O&O graphics are being customized for each station. WMAQ's are slightly purple, and the elements that animate around the 3D peacock are also colored.

The only oddity in the video is that the "Studio 5" logo still uses the flat-colored NBC Peacock, which looks out of place when compared to the shiny one used in the station's updated logo.

Still no word on what is going on with the station's newsroom set.

Thanks to HulkieD for the tip.

I'm not totally convinced that that's the final theme...remember that the orignal demo video featuring KNTV used KNBC's theme, but they ended up using a variation instead. Also, I can't believe they would still use the Ed Hopkins VO (he's a little "old"-sounding). Also, every other O&O open (KNSD excluded) uses moving video in their opens, not just still images.

But when it comes down to it, it's comforting to know that the new graphics ACTUALLY EXIST, and will be coming our way.

BTW, I think it's a nice touch to have the NBC Tower in-view in the final skyline shot, and credit to them for not using the standard skyline angles.

Speaking of Tower V.3, I think that the either primary or the evening open themes would be great to have as the music that accompanies this open. They both have quite a fine sound to them that is very much network news-like. Yet again, I may very well be "preaching to the choir!"

Never count music on graphic reels. That's how I go by. Second, what's up with NBC uploading to video to vimeo that shouldn't go out yet?

Well normally that's the rule of thumb but this is from WMAQ's vimeo account so whoever put that together I would think would know what music they plan on using.

I like what they did here. Paying homage, if you will, with a shot of the Merchandise Mart (their longtime former home) in the opening and ending with a off-centered closing shot of the NBC Tower (their current home) and the building directly in front of the Tower (where Studio 5 is located).

As far as the music, I like it a lot. Modern, but still, in some sense, traditional (with a distinctive variation of the NBC chimes added in). I'm cool with the use of Ed Hopkins. I prefer an authoritative (older sounding) voice over when it comes to news openings and such. I think because the music, if this is actually used, is a bit softer, it may take some time to get use to when coupled with Ed's voice.

More of that new look has been uploaded to that Vimeo page. I like it a lot! This change was long overdue at NBC Chicago. What the station is probably gonna release next on that Vimeo page is the time-and-temp station ids like most Chicago stations do between non-news programming.

Archived