WKYC - new music?

newsjunkieUSA

In light of Russ Mitchell's arrival at WKYC, things have gotten 'shaked up', to say the least.

http://youtu.be/WT3QNCdDEJk

Based on the "WFAA Spirit" signature heard in this video, WKYC is now the second station [or third/fourth: are the Maine NewsCenter stations still using "Good News" from time to time, or is that completely gone?] to shy away from the Gannett theme music by using "Propulsion". The million dollar question - is it just for the opens and teases, or has the Gannett sound been put to pasture in Cleveland?

I believe that WCSH/WLBZ still use Good News in some promos and IDs.

They still use "Good News" for their STORM CENTER coverage, and I think "Bill Green's Maine" as well. However, all of the recent IDs have been using the Gannett theme.

Geez, I must be the only one who actually thinks that Gannett package is really good... but I can see why the change was made. Getting arguably the number two anchor from CBS is kind of a big deal.

And I do like the changes. Maybe not so much the apparent graphics tweaks, but the open flows a hell of a lot nicer than the elongated sponsor plug/open that never quite synced up with the music. Yeah, no graphics but a wide shot of the still-nice looking Digital Broadcast Center works well for me. And Propulsion does work for that image, so it's a thumbs up from me.

Archived