Is Media General allowing WNCN modifying their graphics?

jero23

I asked this because I have noticed in recent weeks WNCN, "NBC17" in Raleigh/Durham has began to have graphics that accentuate the NBC peacock rather than the stock MG graphics seen with most other stations owned by Media General.

jg6qkh.jpg

This graphic has popped up a couple of times in recent weeks instead of the more common one by most MG stations. I do wonder if they are going to let WNCN go like WCMH, and get have their own set of graphics separate from their sister stations.

The current MG look was sometime in 07, right? That'd be five years coming up - so it's time to look into a new one.

Correct. It made its debut on WFLA-TV in Tampa in August 2007 when the station moved its newscast in HD.

Guest NewsHound

WCMH dropped the MG graphics in Jan. 2011 and the graphics they have now are so much better. Best in the Columbus market, even outdoing WBNS.

It's time for MG to drop this graphics package and get a fresh look.

WAGT received the exact same package here in Augusta, GA when Media General took them under LMA with WJBF. It's too red to me...

Guest NewsHound

I noticed last week WJBF began airing different lower 3rds (not dramatically different, it's still the same MG look) but these were more blue and looked cheaper than the others.

For weeks they had been trying to experiment with that swooshy light-flared fly-in that other HD properties like WFLA are using, but like other things at the new station it was plagued with bugs and would make the lower 3rds just cut in on the screen or would make them disappear after the fly-in animation. It got to the point that they just did a standard fade-in and then randomly one or two during a newscast would still have the animation.

Last week, they introduced new lowers (that might possibly have been done in-house) that were used for anchor two-shots and for their "coming up" sequences. It looks different than the traditional lowers, and they're using them on everything now, and it was only designed for one-line of text but they are now trying to fit two-lines of text on them. Also, the fly-in animation is quicker on these, but again as with everything at this now 2nd place station (was the local news leader) the animations don't always appear and a standard fade-in is used.

I'll post a picture of the new lowers later when the 11pm comes on.

Even more proof of this for WNCN:

http://media.mgnetwork.com/ncn/advertising/wncn/wncn_marketing/2012/

This promo is done in-house and barely even shows any MG package element but plenty of unique ones for this station. They are really emphasizing the NBC Peacock like they did in their former O&O days.

Even more proof of this for WNCN:

http://media.mgnetwo...marketing/2012/

This promo is done in-house and barely even shows any MG package element but plenty of unique ones for this station. They are really emphasizing the NBC Peacock like they did in their former O&O days.

Those promo graphics are very nice. Not quite nice enough to distract me from how stupid the story they were promoting was, but still...

• 4 months later...

Archived