"41" returns to KSHB in Kansas City

Marvin Dillweed

The person who posted this comment on the article said it best......

I understand that there are a lot of people who are used to those channel designations and switching from Fox4 to Fox6 or KMBC9 to KMBC12 or something would be difficult. But… at what point do you continue to hang onto a channel designation just for viewers that are well over 30 years old (and even older)? My 88-year old Mom knows KMBC isn’t channel 9 any longer and flips to 12 when she wants to watch Busby. Won’t keeping these designations just perpetuate the problem? Draw a line in the sand and say, “this is who we are and has nothing to do with an outdated channel designation!” dare ya…

It's like when a woman gets married (For the Most Part) She gets a new last name and you adjust. You only keep calling her by her original name if she allows it. "Hey Miss Jones! Its Mrs. Read now, but Miss Jones is fine."

Put your damn foot down and keep it moving!

I always thought any station that allows their brand outside of actual newscasts with "News" in its name to be just dumb. However, what is even dumber is the network name and "Action News" branding of WFTS and formerly KSHB. E.W. Scripps could have been more original than that with those stations branding regardless of their high former UHF channel position.

I always thought any station that allows their brand outside of actual newscasts with "News" in its name to be just dumb.

It does seem weird to use a "news" branding used for non-news programming. Here in Oklahoma City, the ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox affiliates all produce their own newscasts, two of those station use their newscast titles outside of news programming and newscast promotions: KWTV (CBS) calls itself News 9 (though since they changed the graphics and logo, and went HD in October 2010, its logo doesn't even visually show it as News 9 during newscasts other than the website name shown under the logo in opens and rejoins, it just visually appears as "9") and KFOR (NBC) calls itself NewsChannel 4 for EVERYTHING, too.

It does seem weird to use a "news" branding used for non-news programming. Here in Oklahoma City, the ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox affiliates all produce their own newscasts, two of those station use their newscast titles outside of news programming and newscast promotions: KWTV (CBS) calls itself News 9 (though since they changed the graphics and logo, and went HD in October 2010, its logo doesn't even visually show it as News 9 during newscasts other than the website name shown under the logo in opens and rejoins, it just visually appears as "9") and KFOR (NBC) calls itself NewsChannel 4 for EVERYTHING, too.

I agree that it seems odd to brand an entire station as News9 (like here in OKC, which drives me nuts!) or NBC Action News. However, last time I was in Kansas City, KSHB used "NBC Action News" for news and "Your NBC Action News Station" for general station branding.

So for non-news it would go something like this" "Wheel of Fortune tonight at 6:30 on Your NBC Action News Station."

I thought it it kind of worked well.

As ridiculous as "ABC Action News" or "Your ABC Action News station" sounds, I would rather them call themselves "28 Tampa Bay", "28 WFTS", or "ABC 28" because that "ABC Action News" crap sounds so stupid for a station general programming branding. Hell, "28 ABC" would sound better than their current branding.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey question, is KSHB going by just 41 Action News, or has it separated the brandings for newscasts and entertainment programming? Wikipedia's article on KSHB has been edited more than once to state the branding as being 41 Action News for all purposes, to being "KSHB 41" and even "NBC 41" for non-news branding only and 41 Action News being used only for newscasts.

Archived