Getting Shiny @ABC7

24994J

WLS, one of the last ABC-owned stations to still use the old, blue-ish, 90's ABC logo appears to be making the switch to the 2007 "shiny disc". It first started appearing in the latest PSA's this week, but has been used on the website for a few years. Will updated graphics be thrown into the mix? We (I) can only hope...

[ATTACH]1094.IPB[/ATTACH]

• 1 month later...

I've said it before, they should've updated the lower thirds a few years ago to match the more recent in-house, purple/gold graphics...but at this point they should be working on an all-new package.

As for the set, I doubt it's going anywhere. They had the previous blue-backdrop set for probably about 12 years. (Of course, there was an overhaul around 2001, but the setup remained mostly the same.) If they do anything, which they probably should/won't, it would be a new desk (no WABC, more traditional) and maybe new duratrans behind the anchors. And the newsroom does need an update, BAD. I saw a video on YouTube of a news brief with Jim Rosenfield from around '91 or '92...and aside from the the circle-7 being changed to an ABC7, it looks exactly the same!

Their current look is getting kind of stale. Maybe we'll see something new debut this summer?

The funny thing is, that would mean that Fox Chicago would have the oldest, un-updated graphics in town...and theirs are 4 YEARS newer than ABC7's (whose still looks better any day, anyway).

Didn't want to start a new topic just for this, but when did ABC 7 get a Big Board touchscreen (it's part of the weather center that's upstairs I believe)? Alan K. was using it tonight during their election coverage. Sidenote: Lisa Parker showed off the one NBC 5 has, but she couldn't get a video to play and pretty much just wiped a couple of graphics in/out and that was it.

It's actually not in the weather center, but on the interview set at the south end of the studio. They replaced the monitor there several months ago with a small touch screen, and upgraded a little before Christmas. Alan is pretty much the only anchor/reporter using it (mostly at 4pm). Chuck Goudie uses it from time to time for the "Intelligence Report" and Roz does most traffic reports on it in the morning, too. Your best shot of seeing it in use is around 4:10 or so...pretty much just after the talent rejoin. BTW, I'd say it's about the same size as NBC5's; the camera angle probably makes a difference. Also a side-note, I think this was the first time someone on 5 used their screen.

It's actually not in the weather center, but on the interview set at the south end of the studio. They replaced the monitor there several months ago with a small touch screen, and upgraded a little before Christmas. Alan is pretty much the only anchor/reporter using it (mostly at 4pm). Chuck Goudie uses it from time to time for the "Intelligence Report" and Roz does most traffic reports on it in the morning, too. Your best shot of seeing it in use is around 4:10 or so...pretty much just after the talent rejoin. BTW, I'd say it's about the same size as NBC5's; the camera angle probably makes a difference. Also a side-note, I think this was the first time someone on 5 used their screen.

I figured it was the weather center because the backdrop was made-up of blue skies and clouds (a weather-based setting) and the lighting was poor (which wouldn't likely be the case if it was at the interview area with all the lights being on. Maybe they have more than one. Nevertheless, it's very nice.

Trust me, there's only one. I was downtown once while they were using it and there is no room in the upstairs WC for a screen this big...it's not a studio, just a corner of an already cramped office.

• 6 months later...

Archived