Sinclair websites getting new look

Viper550

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started to see the Newsmax links pop up on several sites in the past couple weeks. I don't know if Newsmax pays them or not, but it's not a good image to have links from an so-called "fringe" news source that in the past was linked to certain "conspiracy theories" on past and present presidents. I wouldn't want to see links from the Daily Kos on a news site which is supposed to be unbiased, either.

Now, I hope Sinclair knows that pulling this stuff once they get their hands on Portland and Seattle will backfire on them. The rural parts of these markets are pretty conservative, but the population centers aren't.

I know this is mainly about Sinclair's sites, but please don't tell me Nexstar is following in Sinclair's footsteps by making their stations embed Newsmax headlines on their sites.

http://www.abc4.com/default.aspx

http://www.fox16.com/default.aspx

http://arkansasmatters.com/

(you have to scroll down a little to see them; it's under the "Stay Connected" box on the right side of the page).

It hasn't appeared on their other stations sites yet, so maybe this was a decision made locally. I certainly hope so. KTVX takes it a little further, even using Newsmax articles as the basis of their poll questions...

I have Ad Block and I didn't notice these until I disabled it. That leads me to wonder if NewsMax is paying these TV stations to put their widget, or whatever it's called, on these websites.

I've started to see the Newsmax links pop up on several sites in the past couple weeks. I don't know if Newsmax pays them or not, but it's not a good image to have links from an so-called "fringe" news source that in the past was linked to certain "conspiracy theories" on past and present presidents. I wouldn't want to see links from the Daily Kos on a news site which is supposed to be unbiased, either.

Now, I hope Sinclair knows that pulling this stuff once they get their hands on Portland and Seattle will backfire on them. The rural parts of these markets are pretty conservative, but the population centers aren't.

Sinclair's Pro-GOP bias is very well known in the broadcasting world. Just look them up on Wikipedia and you'll see what I mean. They're big donors and supporters to the GOP cause. That's why I wasn't too shocked to see the Newsmax ad/widget on Sinclair's websites.

Now will they tone that down since they're getting into larger markets? It would be nice but I'm not very optimistic about that.

We'll see though.

I have Ad Block and I didn't notice these until I disabled it. That leads me to wonder if NewsMax is paying these TV stations to put their widget, or whatever it's called, on these websites.

Looky looky at what I noticed on KABB's site:

3wcn.png

You may be on to something...

When did Sinclair enter into a deal with Worldnow to do their websites? I noticed KOKH has a new website now:

http://www.okcfox.com/

KOKH could very well be a test station. I don't like it though, very very basic compared to some of their other work such as cross-town rival KWTV. Sinclair is listed as one of Worldnow's clients. I hope KABB gets a new site though, ANYTHING is better than the garbage they have now. WCHS could use it too, they're still using a Sinclair template from circa 2000 (with a redesign to what it looks like now in 2002). You can also tell KOKH is trying to integrate the ads with Sinclair's ad network though (note the "Get Noticed!" graphic which is a Sinclair graphic and how ads originate from "sbgnet.com"). I'm sure Newsmax headlines will come in due time...

At this rate, I bet you (like most of their decisions) that Sinclair is deciding CMS's by throwing darts at a dartboard with Worldnow being the bullseye, and most of the board occupied by "Leave it alone", "Fancy", and "That one with the Newsmax headlines and retractable sidebar" spaces.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm....Local15tv.com is down at the moment saying "Under Construction – look for a new look for LOCAL 15 - your local homepage local15tv.com"

It looks like the beginning of the end of Inergize sites on the former Newport stations now owned by Sinclair....could it be WorldNow or the Sinclair template?

EDIT: 13WHAM.com, FoxKansas.com, & Local12.com are all down as well....WHPTV.com & WOAI.com are still up and running under the Inergize Template as of 1:32 CT Monday, July 15th.

Hmm....Local15tv.com is down at the moment saying "Under Construction – look for a new look for LOCAL 15 - your local homepage local15tv.com"

It looks like the beginning of the end of Inergize sites on Sinclair stations....could it be WorldNow or the Sinclair template?

Tis a shame, hopefully it's the WorldNow template because the Sinclair look seems cheap in comparison.

Guest NewsHound

Tis a shame, hopefully it's the WorldNow template because the Sinclair look seems cheap in comparison.

Don't hold your breath, 13WHAM's site is up:

http://www.13wham.com

Looks Sinclair to me...

Well right now in S.A., there is severe weather. Can't imagine them taking it down with severe weather. And KABB has never received a redesign. They'll have two sites to redesign here, not just one. KABB will probably get the WBFF template and WOAI will probably get the KUTV template going on what happened in Beaumont. Also when WOAI changes pages, expect it to be at news4sa.com, and not woai.com, as anchors have been promoting the new site address for the past month or so.

They discontinued the WKRC app today. The app advises viewers to search for a new Local 12 app which is not available on the app store. (This has happened quite a bit - when the ABC stations adapted their excellent in-house iPad apps for the iPhone, you had to redownload.)

I'm sorry, but there's really no excuse for not having your website active. Not in 2013. The only reason this would be excusable is if they had to shift off the Inergize platform with no notice, but the notice in the app seems to indicate that they knew a few days out.

...WPMI is back up (local15tv.com) and Fox Kansas (foxkansas.com) is up as well with the same template as WHAM and WKRC... (CircleSeven beat me to it!)

UTV44.com (WJTC) is still under construction, CWCincinnati.com (WKRC-DT2) has taken the CW template, and MyTVWichita.com (KMTW) has the MyNetwork template Sinclair is using...

They discontinued the WKRC app today. The app advises viewers to search for a new Local 12 app which is not available on the app store. (This has happened quite a bit - when the ABC stations adapted their excellent in-house iPad apps for the iPhone, you had to redownload.)

I'm sorry, but there's really no excuse for not having your website active. Not in 2013. The only reason this would be excusable is if they had to shift off the Inergize platform with no notice, but the notice in the app seems to indicate that they knew a few days out.

Come to think of it, do any of the original Sinclair stations (pre-buying spree, BTW) have mobile apps? (Nevermind, I answered my own question, as Sinclair uses Cellit for their station's mobile apps.) I guess it's only a matter of time before WKRC's new app is up and running. I remember Raycom did the same thing when they changed vendors to develop their mobile apps a few years ago, and everyone had to install the new one and uninstall the old.

The new websites for the former Newport stations that are now part of Sinclair are disappointing, but not unexpected. I just wish that Sinclair would just stick with one uniform web design as opposed to the 3 or 4 formats they have out there (plus KOKH's WorldNow site).

Looks like WOAI is next. news4sa.com, which had been a redirect to woai.com/home.aspx, now displays an "Error 200 Unknown host" message.

Oh, and looks like it's back to a redirect for now.

And, gulp, WOAI will probably be getting that ugly WBFF template. Hopefully they take the lead of Beaumont and get KUTV's template rather than WBFF's. KABB also needs a redesign (their page was last updated around 2008). WZTV also uses the same template and I take it they will be changing soon as well.

It's stupid how WEAR and WPMI now have the same site design. Isn't Sinclair trying to differentiate the two stations? This isn't something you want to do then and I hope they don't pull this crap in S.A.

WCHS badly needs a redesign though. They are using a design that essentially dates back to 2000.

Also, I should note that KOKH's Worldnow site now has Newsmax headlines. Guess they found a way to get those on there...

EDIT 2: Looks like WOAI's new site will be at news4sanantonio.com, presumably with news4sa.com being a redirect.

cipm.png

KABB, even after all this, STILL hasn't redesigned their site. :bang:

WOAI's new site is OK. WOAI still has the old site up, and still updates it. This is unlike WHP who has their old page up but stopped updating it yesterday afternoon. Looks like on their Facebook, they are promoting stories from both websites.

And, news4sa.com continues to redirect to the old site, for now. I don't know when they'll change that because that is the site address WOAI promotes on the air.

So WOAI's new news4sanantonio.com site is up' date=' while the old site is also up, at least for right now.

I wished KABB had the WBFF template and WOAI having the other on. It doesn't look right to me.

It looks unfinished to me, as if the developers ran out of time and had to make it live as-is. Also, it kind of feels like the elements on the homepage (and, likely, other pages) aren't lined up well, making the page look poorly-designed. Compare that to the Scripps stations' sites [such as WMAR, for example], which look like they have better layouts by comparison.

Archived